No announcement yet.

California Bidules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I wanted to see Scott, so the rear wheel is the same as the front, only difference is the tyre, correct?

Jeremy and Ben

SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• MarnochS
      MarnochS commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes
      The rims are two pieces that bolts together. The ones I'm using have a spacer in between sized for a 50mm wide tire. The 75mm (or larger) will balloon out more.

Looks like I spoke too soon on what tire fits what rim. I ordered a pair of the ultra "cost conscious" 3.00-4 tires and found they have a slightly bigger inner diameter than the 200x50/75 tires causing it to pop off the rim.
    Here's a some pictures for size comparison ( original Bidule tires too )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3542.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	9583 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3545.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	9584

looks like the 200x50/75 tires have a 93-95 mm inner diamemeter while the 3.00-4 tires have a 100-103 mm inner diamemeter

Name:	IMG_3544.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	9585 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3543.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	9586
    Last edited by MarnochS; 04-24-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Everyone happy with the balance point at the main spar? Mine is finished, DLE 170 test run and ready for maiden....

Comment

I balanced mine there, with the fuse structure under the canopy hatch dead level and it flies like a dream. I was apprehensive before I flew it because the airplane will sit with the tail staying on the ground once it is pushed down. I wondered if this indicated it being tail heavy, so I asked Jim Dolly and Len if theirs balanced/sat the same and they do. Balance is fantastic and a very. very enjoyable airplane to fly.

Scot

Comment

Thanks Scot for the balance info, just about at that point.

But back to the brakes system
          Used some 0.020 spacers on the disc rotor against the caliper return springs to space it out., then used double spacers (12/10mm and 10/8mm) and a drill bit to mark where to drill
          Then used a stepped drill for the 10mm job

Name:	IMG_3546.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	9634 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	9637

Added a little thickness to the mounting plate as I didn't want the flat head screws pulling out - along with some really small triangle reinforcements

Name:	IMG_3568.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	9635 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3540.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	9636

Mounted the Caliper plate and recessed the axel bolt

Name:	IMG_3572.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	9638 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3574.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	9639
          ​

Comment

Was trying to come up with some type of attachment system for the brake line along the landing gear leg and found an empty K&S metal rod storage tube (clear plastic) that fit the 4mm OD. brake line. Glued it on to the gear leg with Formula 560 Canopy glue. I think I might put some white sign vinyl over the top eventually
            I sized the 12/10mm wheel axel spacer/standoff to get the brake rotor nut so it was somewhat in the center of the rotor contact area so it can float either way.

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	9656 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	9655

Name:	IMG_0711.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	9657 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	9659
            Last edited by MarnochS; 04-26-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Ok another Bidule 170 is almost ready to take to the air. Did the final balance on her and she needed about 22 oz in the tail to balance mid way along the main spar tube. Did most of you find some tail weight was needed too. BTW I do have the aluminum steering wheel modification which I know added some weight to the front.

​TIA
              Dean

Comment

Hi Dean,
                Thats in the range of what I added to mine. I'm going to look at installing everything rear of the CG on the next one I build.. Maybe be a little less weight in the end. ( so to speak)

Len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Mosquito
                  Mosquito commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would it be a good idea to mount the elevator servos in the rear of the fuselage to add some more usable tail weight?

Fantastic! Lol.....thanks Len for all the help! The disc brakes are outstanding by the way. The Dubro 8" wheels were a little difficult to find and in the end I had to order direct from Dubro. So just a heads up for anyone wanting to go that route. I hope to run the new DLE 170 for an hour or so on the ground this week and then its to the air. Her first aerotow will be at an event in late May!

​Thx
                Dean

Comment

Hi Dean,

My only concern about the Dubro wheels is that they might roll off the rim as there is quite a bit of positive camber in the landing gear. A little sideways landing could do the trick. Probably not right away as the tire is new but when the tire material starts to break down, ....maybe it might be possible to glue the tire on using RC car tire glue

Scott

Comment

Excellent point Scott. She is a heavy bird. I will add some GOOP and keep an eye on them for good measure.

Thx
                    Dean

Comment

Once you fly the Bidule, you'll probably never worry about those wheels. It lands very light and because of the dual rudders its pretty rare to come in sideways.
                      You'll love it. It takes a couple hours to get used to it then the love affair begins.

Good luck with the maidens.

Len
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Finishing up the brake installation -
                        I'll have to find some small caps for the caliper and master cylinder fill ports so dust/dirt doesn't get in.

Name:	IMG_3584.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	9883 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3585.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	9884

I must be getting close as there's glue on the Canopy.(Pacer Formula560)

Name:	IMG_3581.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	9885

Comment

Scott.
                          Looking good. Soon you'll be a Bidule Driver.

Did you remove the covering under the canopy before you glued it on? I didn't originally and the canopy came off. Luckily it was noticed before it came off in flight.

Len
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len on both counts......I broke out my Xacto knife and worked the canopy off.....had a really nice glue line to guide the inside cut on the front.
                            Just need to remove the glue from the canopy side then re-glue........

Name:	IMG_3586.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	9892

Comment

Working...
                            X