No announcement yet.

California Bidules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels.........Plan B...2B - 3....code zero...zero....zero......

Found some Off-Road Skateboard wheels on Ebay with three center attachment bolts and thought they might be good to attach the rotor assy.
    Also going to try out some Qind 200X75 tires at a lower pressure (10psi)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3462.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	9111

Of course the rims are a little thicker than the MBS units.....so.... a little time was spent on the drill press to remove some excess mass.

Name:	IMG_3467.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	9112
    Last edited by MarnochS; 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM. Reason: off road skateboard wheels instead of scooter wheels

Comment

Modularized master cylinder / Servo unit and placement in the fuselage, 0.060 G10

Name:	IMG_3482.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	9173 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	9176

Name:	IMG_3483.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	9174 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3485.JPG
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	9175

Mock-up of the existing brake parts to get some spacing measurement ( how much do I cut-off )

Name:	IMG_3488.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	9178 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	9177

Comment

I was looking at my ebay scooter rims and wasn't thrilled with the exposed socket head and nuts, but for twenty bucks I couldn't complain.

Name:	IMG_3470-a.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	9233 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3471-a.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	9234

I was thinking that if I could recess the outer nuts on the inside of the rim I could move the brake assy in about 5mm .....and if I was going to do that I might as well recess the socket head screws too. Found out that a 9/32 end mill fits a 4mm socket head nicely.

Name:	IMG_3505.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	9235

A little research yielded the term "rotrary broaching" on how to make a hexagonal hole. I found a short cut in the form of a 7mm Allen wrench and a hammer........

Name:	IMG_3500.JPG
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	9236 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3503.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	9237

For a balanced look....i had to get a MBS Rockstar Pro Hub and tire....of course that means "a little" rework on the nose gear as the wheel rubs on the shock mount......

Name:	IMG_3495.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	9238
        Last edited by MarnochS; 04-12-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Scott, could you post a link to the wheels? Obviously the e-bay listing will have "closed", but it could give me a clue to find others maybe. I'm not so sure why I am driven to find something other than the Dubro wheels, I must subconsciously really dislike them....

I went through a pile of shenanigans with the front wheel as well. I ended up putting a length of 3/8" OD stainless steel tubing over a 5/16" diameter shoulder bolt to end up withe a front axle that is clamped between the side plates of the nose gear to prevent any wear on the side plates. I don't feel I ended up with the best solution, but it is one for the corner I worked myself into. The best front axle solution I have seen is the one Pascal has with a shouldered axle, threaded on both ends clamping the side plates with nuts on the inside and outside, then the wheel is centered with wheel collars.

I'm watching with interest here. The wheels are an item that need to be tweaked on the Bidules to make them robust. You are working that hard/well!!

Thanks,

Scot

Comment

Hi Scot,

My mistake, they're listed under "Alloy Mountainboard wheels"

Nose wheel - The MBS wheel has a 3/8 axel so I drilled out a 3/8" CrMo tube I had so its "captured" by the 6mm bolt and should keep it from turning, plus the wheel bearings will keep the friction coefficient pretty low.........

Scott
            Each BRAND NEW (200x50)ALLOY MOUNTAIN BOARD WHEEL DIAMOND SCRUB in Sporting Goods, Outdoor Sports, Skateboarding & Longboarding | eBay
            Last edited by MarnochS; 04-12-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Parts are starting to come together, Luckily the rotor mount inside diameter turned out to be 12mm- which is perfect for the 12/10mm carbon tube I'm using to keep things lined up on the axel and as a standoff/spacer. The bearing on the rim necessitated a relief on the inside so the mounting plate would sit flush - hence the first attempt at doing this on my drill press with the end mill resulted in a round off-center relief - second one should be better

. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	9316 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	9317

Very rough cut of the back plate - and checking the parts spacing ( how much more do I need to file off.....). I checked with my welder to see if the spacing was OK to be able to weld the pieces together - said it was tight but do-able.

Name:	IMG_3508.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	9318 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	9319 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3510.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	9320

Checking to see how thing are looking / lining up.

Name:	IMG_3515.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	9322 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3518.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	9321

Comment

I like those wheels!! Good work as usual, Scott.

Comment

Scott, do you know if those wheels are available in a lager size?

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Xroadie
                    Xroadie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jeremy....try tirerack.com

Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
                  Scott, do you know if those wheels are available in a lager size?

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCCAAA TT TN
                  As in Porter Turbolenza size?

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

You can use any tire that will mount to a 4 inch rim, one option might be these 10" OD tires.
                    3.00-4 Scooter Tire Pocket Bike 3.00 4 KENDA HI QUALTY TIRE On eBay

or
                    http://www.partsforscooters.com/154-...ategory=132882

I think the tire in the top of the picture is the Qind 3.00-4 tire and the bottom tire is the Kenda K671F 3.00-4 Tire
                    There's another Kenda K471 3.00-4 Tire too , different tread pattern - more smooth

Name:	Kenda 471.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	9337 Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenda K671F.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	9338 Click image for larger version

Name:	Qind 3.00-4.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	9339
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MarnochS; 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scott, I might have to get a pair for the 1/3 scale Porter, as I do not like the wheels and tires that came with the kit.
                      I'm starting to gather parts for the BIG Build We have 7 1/5 scale SPMSS9020 (53Kg. torque) RC Car steering servos accumulated so far and the list goes on, in fact Jim Dolly has used one on his Bidule Nose Gear steering upgrade

Jeremy and Ben
                      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I forgot to ask you Scott, what is the weight of your wheel tyre combo?

Jeremy and Ben
                        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

The tire assy that I'm using is 1 lb 14oz ( 850g) per wheel. Most of that weight is in the tire itself. It may seem like a lot but its only 12 oz heaver than the stock wheel. The MBS wheel/tire is 1 lb 2 oz - about the same weight as the original unit
                          On a side note, by drilling out the individual rim half I removed a whopping 7 grams per...... 14g per wheel......yea....
                          The 3.00-4 tires are going to be heavier since their bigger

Scott

Comment

A bit of success in making making my drill press think its a lathe.

Name:	IMG_3531.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	9435 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3536.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	9436

Name:	IMG_3539.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	9437

Since I'm using a 80mm rotor instead of the 76mm in the kit, I get to make a new brake caliper mount too.
                            6 layers of 5.7oz carbon cloth ( w/ 0.7oz glass top and bottom) will get me the correct thickness, 1/8" aluminium angles coated with Partall.......I did have a sneaking suspicion that I glued everything together though.

Name:	IMG_3522.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	9440 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3529.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	9438

Name:	IMG_3528.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	9439

Comment

Quick side note for those interested is tire size comparison.
                              200x50 on the Front and Kenda K671 on the back

Name:	tire comp.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	9457

Comment

Working...
                              X