Kevin, how are you?
    Are you back on the build yet?

Jeremy
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      I think Kevin went on a vacation... Mosquito Tim knows!

Kevin is in Africa and has been there since Feb 3rd. Last I heard was that he was running as fast as he could from some large male lion. He should be back within the next week or so. That is, if the lion doesn't get him first.

Comment

• Asher Carmichael
      Asher Carmichael commented
      Editing a comment
      Dilly, Dilly

• lenb
      lenb commented
      Editing a comment
      Dilly Dilly

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Whatever you do, Kev, don't 'bend a knee', or the lion will surely get you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	24102 This guy just plunked down next to the Landcruiser just in front of us...He then got up and was pacing back and forth and began growling at the top of his lungs...we feared he might just jump into the jeep with us. It was mating season and the female was close by. Man Is that roar LOUD and visceral...
    Every critter I ever heard of is still there in Tanzania, Kenya, Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa.
    Now back to reality and have to get back to the Czmelak...

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm gonna blow your cover. You really went to the zoo in Hollywood and got a pic of the MGM lion. The money you didn't spend for air fare to Arfica et al is going for more sailplanes and beer!

Lucky you. My bucket list has an entry, get close to a lion, and live to tell about it! Welcome home Kevin. Now get to building!

Comment

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	24396 Finally back at things as my lungs are cleared enough to get back to some dust...
      Got the dashboard and the under boards for the cowl...doing the last few things before tackling the rear of the fuse which is very challenging to do correctly according to both Len and Pete...so far my building has been less than ideal...see if I can up my game now for the last half of this build...

Comment

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	24461 Finally getting going on the second wing but being much more careful and triple checking everything before I walk away from each rib gluing...
        I really thought I might be done by now but have to be patient and not rush things...
        Kevin

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Just be careful about not putting on too much weight to hold things.

Looks great Kevin..cant wait to see it flying..

Comment

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	24600 Did as Len suggested and did a balsa under layer for cowl deck and then did the 1/64th plywood. Tricky to not get some puckering since the shape is odd. Used thin cardboard to make a template first to reduce how much wood I would waste...even then it took a second try...
          Got all the ribs in place on the second wing now and I think it is straight and not having rotation issues this time.
          sorry for small pictures, larger pictures pasting won't let me add text.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	24601

Comment

Alright Kevin!!
            Looks good

Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	25089 After fighting with twisting on the second wing as well, (agh) a experienced scratch builder came over and did his surgical magic and helped me get things back under control....now onto sheeting and hopefully stabilizing the wing...I did the "iron the dried glue" gig which I did on the horizontal stab but on that I used Tite Bond, on this I used the Speed Bond but wasn't sure things would hold while ironing so I also used the Grip Pins just in case...probably over kill but I really need the sheeting to stabilize this wing.
              Once sheeted I need to build the ailerons, the flaps are done...then I can start on the rear part of the fuse...perhaps the most dreaded as it may well be the easiest part of plane to hose up given the skeleton type structure...
              I believe Len is in the process of applying his ultra coat so awaiting his progress report on his build of this beast...

Comment

• Swiss1
                Swiss1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Kevin please bring HB2708 (HB-2708) that's lurking in the background to the Horizon event, it does not look COMPLIANT!!

That's my very old Pilates B4 from a German kit...probably 20 plus years old...3.75 meter....so majestic in the air...the last landing did some fracturing so I am using 24 hour epoxy to go into the cracks...I can't be around CA as that would be a better prep for the work ahead...

Comment

Name:	IMG_0033.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	25714 first visions of what to come...test fitting the wings to the fuse...some issues but will add and subtract some wood here and there to make things
                mate closer than they are now...try like I did...1/8" plywood ribs do not always stray straight when gluing with water based blue...no excuses here, but just a fact...
                Anyway....onward to completion I hope next month....everything is pretty much done except LE of wing and final sanding....
                Wife is coming home from vacation tomorrow so plane will be gone from dining room table by the time she gets home !!!

Comment

Hey... I like the statue of 'Psyche Being Revived by Cupid's Kiss' that you have there. Fitting for someone of your profession... you know... kisses... $1.00

Comment

Only an artist like you would recognize that Italian sculpture in Marble...it is one of my favorite statues...most people don't even see the art in our house...thanks...
                    kjk

Comment

• Mosquito
                      Mosquito commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What art? You have art in your house?

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There's a burnt out bulb in your light fixture! lol See... I notice everything!

After nearly 6 months of fretting about finishing this build, I am back at it. Had a great summer of flying and racing rc sailboats that got in the way of completing the Cmelak build.
                    Now merging Len's and Jim's build thread to do the dreaded rear section of the fuse...once this is done...I can start doing the final sanding and then covering and assembly of this model.
                    thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement many of you have given to me over the past year...
                    kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X