No announcement yet.

Czmelak building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been studying the wing build Len... There are shorter joiners and longer joiners...I have laminate the shorter ones which I think go towards the LE and the longer ones go towards the TE ??? hard to tell from the plans......I get the first part of the wing build shown in the lower pictures but not what joiner goes where for sure......they are each 1/8" so three of them laminated is 3/8" which is the spar width...so must become part of the spar but the transition is not clear to me.
    sorry for the Newbie questions but hate to keep making mistakes..
    Will await feed back before proceeding beyond the inner section build...
    thanks...
    Last edited by kjkavaney; 12-01-2017, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hang in there, Kevin!

Hi Kevin,
    Yes the longer one goes to the TE.

Here are some photos that may help,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5952.JPG Views:	1 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	21158
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5954.JPG Views:	1 Size:	10.8 KB ID:	21159
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5956.JPG Views:	1 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	21160
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5953.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	21161
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5964.JPG Views:	1 Size:	12.3 KB ID:	21162
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5958.JPG Views:	1 Size:	10.1 KB ID:	21163
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

as you can see in my tiny photo...still can't figure out how to do this right...slow setting aliphatic glue requires lots of weights and clamps and even more patience...
      Wing is scary as it is unlike anything I have ever built....Len has graciously sent me lots of pictures of how to do it correctly so with a big Breathe I started this last nite...one rib at a time
      as I have a slight warp in the spar...need to keep everything straight so no use rushing things...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	21332 trying a bigger picture this time...

Comment

Name:	IMG_0226.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	21377 this stuff is amazing, just got it from Horizon Hobbies today. It is as thick as Tite Bond, but kicks in about 5 minutes which is helpful for things that don't want to stay put. It is not nearly as thin as Super Aliphatic and in fact doesn't like to dilute with water like Tite bond....good to have all three glues actually...
          got a good start on the wing panel today...thanks Len for photos...finally makes sense...
          kevin

Comment

• JimD
            JimD commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 on the Speed Bond, have really enjoyed working with it on the Swallow build.

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            I just use yellow wood glue. It sets up pretty fast and a simple pin, scrap piece of wood or clothes pin may be all that is needed to steady the part while the glue dries. Of course... your mileage may vary!

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	21480 Finally starting to look like a wing !!! Len and Pete have been very helpful for resolving my confusion.
          Thanks to Mike, Jim, and Tango for their encouragement...building flaps now so I can make sure hinges line up correctly...

Comment

Nice work Kevin! Keep it up! Can I have the first tow????

Tim

Comment

Absolutely NOT Tim...you will be the Test Pilot on this thing !!!! Ha...remember the 108% Pegasus's first flight ???
              kevin

Comment

• Mosquito
                Mosquito commented
                Editing a comment
                How can I forget a maiden where the propellor fell off in flight!!!!

Let's get an update Kevin!!!!!

Comment

Following!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0242.JPG Views:	1 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	21642
                  I ended up with a twist on the second inner wing section...in retrospect probably too much top weight and not enough attention to vertical squareness...used hot water and then water/ammonia mix for hours and hours of misting while under a quarter inch of counter twist...eventually got the twist out but lost a inner rib in the process so made up another piece rib to go between the two spars. While waiting for all this to dry I built the flaps which are constructed on top of laser etched sheeting just like the elevators etc. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0244.JPG Views:	1 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	21643
                  I made up some thicker G10 arms as seen in the left side of the photo...the flaps are driven by an internal arm Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0233.JPG Views:	1 Size:	8.5 KB ID:	21644
                  lastly bought some super heavy steel angle iron for side stability and double checking everything now so I can proceed with the outer wing building which will start tomorrow. Len's pictures have been a God Send as I really am in over my head on this build. Thanks for the interest and support on this project. I have begun the Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0245.JPG Views:	1 Size:	13.0 KB ID:	21645
                  de construction of my Aero Works Extra 300 as I am running out of room. Most all the equipment on the Extra is really good hardware that will work perfectly on the new plane...I am not an aero batic flier anyway, but sad to see her go.
                  Last edited by kjkavaney; 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Extra? What's that? Now... the 'Smellyak' is where it's at! Besides... don't you have a gazillion airplanes in a storage facility somewhere? Tim ratted you out! Your missus will like that you actually got rid of an airplane!

• Mosquito
                    Mosquito commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're killing me Michael!!!!!!

I am running out of room even at my storage facility...three tow planes, 8 sailboats, and many unbuilt kits...my wife said: "I can't see any difference with only one plane gone " OUCH..

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ahahahaha! Yes... ouch!

• Mosquito
                    Mosquito commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Let's see if Kevin will reveal how many "many" is! I might have to pull some of my hidden camera video of his airplane vault and post!!!!

What was she doing in the storage facility anyway?
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So long as she wasn't carrying 'holiday candles' and 'matches' I think everything is gonna be okay!

We keep our Holiday decorations and such there as well...well, maybe 5% of the space for that sort of things !!!

Comment

my build thread is a bit lame...if you want to see a good build thread, follow Len's build since he is almost if not done and has figured it all out...I am just copying him at this point !!!
                    but I would appreciate if you hang in there with me...
                    kevin

Comment

• Mosquito
                      Mosquito commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great build threat Kevin. Can you post your pictures a little bigger?
                  Working...
                  X