1/3-Scale Cessna 185 ~ by Gunny Bumburs at Aviation Concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3-Scale Cessna 185 ~ by Gunny Bumburs at Aviation Concepts

Having scale tow plans to go with our scale sailplanes has been a challenge, but we are starting to see this void filled with some excellent planes. Gunny is well on the way with his contribution to this market.

After much thought and collaboration with a group of tow pilots, Gunny decided that the Cessna 185 would be his subject. This plane has appeal well beyond the tow plane niche, so many are anxious to have this plane come to the market.

Gunny is planning this as a complete kit, all wood included (not a short kit).

Here is a picture of a full-scale cessna 185 and some "spy" photos to tease you with!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2816.JPG Views:	1 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	33274

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2817.JPG Views:	1 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	33276

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2818.JPG Views:	1 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	33277

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2819.JPG Views:	1 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	33275

A Site for Soar Eyes

Very cool and yes definitely appeal! I did my primary flight training in a 185.

Comment

This is going to be a spectacular kit. Gunny has a lot of cool stuff planned that should be included in the kit. Really looking forward to building/flying one!
      Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

As much as I like the C185 we really need a 30% one of these that is structurally capable of towing.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	CessnaL19_3View.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	33299

Comment

L-19 Bird Dog, one of my favorites... Vailly Aviation (now sold through Ziroli Plans) has it in 1/5 scale all the way up to 1/3 scale. Roy Vaillencourt And Nick Ziroli Jr are very good friends of mine and we are in the same flying club. So I didn't want to step on their toes by designing something that they already have out there.

Thats how this 185 project got started initially 3 years ago when Jim D. started building one of the Bird Dogs and it got shelved because it wasn't a "Gunny Kit" lol.
          Last edited by gunny11; 01-24-2019, 07:24 AM.
          Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Rosenthal USA for the Bird Dog.
            I want to give everyone an update on what is going on with my business of importing Scale Sailplanes. Previously I was only importing Rosenthal, but the
            Rick Shelby
            Team Horizon

Comment

So, I started with the tail wheel assembly first.
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• edfmaniac
                edfmaniac commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice welds!

• gunny11
                gunny11 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, the girls do all my welding for me.

very nice Gunny
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed! Plus... this bird is big enough to kick some RC parachute guys out the door!

That will be easy to do. Just like the full scale the doors can be removed.
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Beautiful! Are we going to see it in action this Spring?

Comment

• gunny11
                  gunny11 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, Summer it should be flying

So this was a consortium design/build. It started out with just JimD and I. Then Sinkhappens jumped on board followed by LenB. These guys are just some of our NorthEast tow pilots. So group texting and pictures back and forth is how it's coming all together. Again, thinking outside the box, I'm getting great input from these guys as far as what they really want in a tug. And this was a lot of fun to do.

So the first thing that was requested was a heavy duty tow release mechanism using instead of a soft 4-40 pushrod wire but 1/8" dia. music wire release pin.
                And here is the result.
                Gunny
                Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Looking forward to this one, should be a great addition to the Tow plane list and as a scale replacement to my Pegasus.
                  What engine size are you targetting, 120-150cc with or without canisters?

I have very fond memories of the C185 and landing on a glacier at Mt. Cook in New Zealand many years ago as a kid !

Comment

• gunny11
                    gunny11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DA 150 with stock mufflers. I would love to visit New Zealand. My father did and it's gorgeous there.

Starting with the fuselage build the first thing to do is to join some of the formers together.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by gunny11; 01-28-2019, 01:35 AM.
                  Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Former F2 is 1/4" birch ply and has 1/4 lb of lightening holes, These holes will come in very handy later on in the build. When the model will be finished they will be capped off with 1/16" ply laser cut covers to prevent oil dirt etc, from entering the model.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by gunny11; 01-28-2019, 01:37 AM.
                    Gunny
                    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	33475 The "Tow Plane Package" will have the tow release and cross servo mounting rail.
                      Gunny
                      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
                      X