Dave Smith/Tom Martin 1/4 Scale Hall Cherokee Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress report:

The bottom keel, formers and landing wheel are done.

I didn't like the laser cut keel that came in my kit. The rear of it was squared off and didn't allow a good attachment of the wheel well opening. So I cut a new one and extended as seen here. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3864resize.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	2729

I glued in the balsa formers J-O. I used the bottom stringer and plywood keel to establish the position of the wheel well opening. Problem was the keel was too low. Then I realized the keel had to be spaced 1/4" off of the cabin floor. Then the bottom stringer, wheel well opening and keel formed a straight line. Wish I had realized this before I cut the new keel. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3869resize.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2730

Then I cut the wheel well sides from 1/8" plywood. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3870resize.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2731

After drilling the holes for the axel I glued the sheeting to the sides and glued the wheel well to the opening. Here it is glued in place with gussets bracing the sides. I had to notch former H for clearance because I located the axel holes slightly higher than called for. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3871resize.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	2732

Continued on next post.

Last edited by ingrahal; 08-09-2015, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Update continued:

I glued in the 1/8" ply keel braces. These were not included in the short kit and are not accounted for in the materials list. I added it to the list on page 1. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3876resize.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	2736

Next was the 1/4" balsa braces on the rear of the wheel well. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3878resize.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	2737
      Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3879resize.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2738

Name:	640IMG_3880resize.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	2739

That's all for now. Just a couple of minor details and it's on to the wings.
      Last edited by ingrahal; 08-09-2015, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Looks really good Art. My workbench is filled with a plane in the finishing stages, so I'm itching to start cutting wood again and you're not helping.

Comment

Thanks Dion!!! What can I say? I love the building as much as the flying. Sorry to torment you but our heat index hit 116.7 deg. F at 2 PM today so building in my air conditioned shop was the thing to do.

I have one more small tidbit to show you guys. I got the landing skid made and the mounting blocks glued in. I made the skid out of 1/16" X 1/4" ply and the blocks out of bass.

Name:	640IMG_3885resize.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	2757

Name:	640IMG_3881resize.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	2758

Unless I'm forgetting something I'm ready to start on the wings.

Comment

How was wheel fairing made on full scale?

Comment

What wheel fairing?

By the way, the problems Art found with the keel were rectified on the 1/3 scale version, almost exactly as he has done on his build.

Comment

Hey Michael, here is a couple of photos of Dean's plane. The wheel well opening (base plate) serves as the axel mount and the surface in which the covering attaches. So the wheel well is covered and the lower half of the wheel is exposed. The model follows the full scale very closely.

Dave, thanks for confirming that my changes were correct.

Name:	640Cherokee II 022resize.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	2795

Name:	640N72DG_22resize.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	2796

Comment

Yes... the wheel well base plate... thanks! The photos here will be a great resource along with rest of build!

Comment

Nice job! Im building the 1/3 version and starting to slowly make some progress. Will be doing the same scheme also. Keep up the great work. Heres a pic of how far i am.

Comment

• Nice work Tom!!
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• WHOA! Art, looks like you have some competition for N72DG!

DS

Comment

• Art, we are having withdrawals. Update, update, update!

No pressure....

Comment

• Sorry guys I had to stop work on the Cherokee to attend to another project. My fiberglass river boat needed some major work done on it. It's done now I can get back to the Cherokee.

Tom, your 1/3 scale looks great! Nice shop too! Keep us posted on your progress.

Dave, Yes definitely! He is ahead of me. I'll have to get crackin!

Dion, hang in there I'll have you a fix soon.

Comment

• Question for Dave or Tom, are the holes for the wing rod in ribs R1-R3 designed for 2 deg dihedral? In other words should R1 be tilted in 2 degrees?

Comment

• Update:
                                Ok guys I'm back at it. The boat project took so long I'm going to have to hurry to get this done before Huntsville but the wings are well underway now.

Laying out the leading edges, sheeting, spar caps and trailing edges that have to be scarfed together. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3895resize.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	3479

On stock 3/4" wide or less I can use this jig and the disc sander to cut the scarfs. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3898resize.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	3480

On anything wider that 3/4" I have to use a straight edge and X-ACTO knife. The grid on the cutting mat helps keep things straight while cutting and gluing. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3900resize.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	3481

From right to left: Leading edge, sub-leading edge, sheeting, spar caps, aileron leading edge, trailing edge, trailing edge carbon fiber. Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_3901resize.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	3482

Update continued on next post.
                                Last edited by ingrahal; 09-06-2015, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X