Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon McLean
    replied
    I really appreciate everyone posting photos of these great Pegs ! Love the different color schemes.

I got a bit done this weekend. I was able to get the incidence for the wing set, drilled for the wing tube, and ripped the wing spars.

Leave a comment:

• jfrickie
    commented on 's reply
    It was picked up from a bug in the Great White North so you need to add Minnesota to the list

• Dave Smith
    replied
    Here's our 'Peg. As you can see it is modified to V-Tail which turned out great as it keeps the towline between the stabilizers. Also a custom mod around the tail wheel to stop it picking up the line if you happen to run over it.

This plane was modified and built by Nigel Tarvin, and came into our hands a couple of years ago. Suffered a rough merge with high density material, but has been repaired to fly again!

Old Brison 105 twin as power, just right for most of what we do. Originally was a manual ignition, now modified to electronic and runs like a charm.

Dave Smith
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 03-22-2020, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    commented on 's reply
    It's the most well-traveled Pegasus in the business... CA-->CT-->KS. Enjoy!

• jfrickie
    commented on 's reply
    That Peg now lives in Wichita Ks,,,,,,It will be flying soon....If my part time job had not turned into a full time job it would already be flying

• Steve P
    replied
    The Mighty Peg! This green monster did a ton of service for us on the East Coast circuit. 3W-120 on a 3-blade. It lived first in Len's feet and then in mine.

So cool that you're digging into the plans! Thanks for sharing your build.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16093.jpg Views:	3 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	40435

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    commented on 's reply
    I remember when that happened at Triple Tree.....you rolled it over and used the flaps as elevators and “landed” it without destroying it! I was impressed......

• Gordon McLean
    replied
    Asher..I will definitely do that when I get to the tail group

Kevin, I remember reading your 108% build thread. At the time it was my first exposure to the airplane.

This one will have a 3W 106 that was recently checked by Gerhard at Aircraft International.

Leave a comment:

• Asher Carmichael
    replied
    Gordon, make sure you add hardpoints and flying wires on the stab as shown in Jim’s photo above. Early plans didn’t have this feature and losing stabs and elevators in flight was not an uncommon occurance. AMHIK
    BTW, thanks for sharing this. Lots of memories there. Flew my first Pegasus in the late 90’s.
    Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 03-21-2020, 02:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfrickie
    replied
    Been towing since 2003...it got a great work out at the Apache Pass aerotow last year and at Sledworks ,
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sinkhappens86
    replied
    Cool! Love to see more tow planes being built!

Leave a comment:

• kjkavaney
    replied
    A lot of memories from your post. My build thread here on Scale Soaring was lost in the hacking a few years back. I have many years of flying my Pegasus which I built with a lot of help from several of my
    local flying buddies who helped me when I ended up severely tail heavy. I think making things a light as possible instead of really strong like I did will help in your build. a 120 cc engine will allow you to tow anything that will show up. I made mine 108% because I had 150cc engines lying around. We call it the beast and it is still flying and has been a work horse the past 7 years of our Sled Works Aero Tow here in Minnesota each summer.
    Good luck with your build and keep us posted on your progress.
    kevin

Leave a comment:

• Gordon McLean
    replied
    Finished formers on the spindle sander.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon McLean
    replied
    The formers were cut on the table saw from aircraft ply with the inside of the bulkheads removed to save some weight.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon McLean
    started a topic Pegasus Tow plane

Pegasus Tow plane

This is my first build thread here, although I have followed many of the excellent builds here for some time.

I picked up these plans from Steve Passierb a few years ago.

As this is my first Tug build, I am hoping for feedback and suggestions from the community of pilots and builders on this great forum. Please don't be shy.

I realize the Pegasus is an older design, but I just liked the look of it.

I have one of Peter's Chmelak kits under the bench, but wanted to finish this one first.....

I transferred the outline to the luan ply and have cut both fuse sides at the same time with a router.
Working...
X