No announcement yet.

The perfect trailer for an aerotowing enthusiast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the carpet for velcro for the sailplane cradles like Gunny's van?
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I tested the carpet and Velcro sticks to it perfectly.

What's going on the floor Jim? You should consider Swisstrax as I have in my trailer, all Tow Planes can be held in place with Mini Bungee Cords with no movement in transit and no screw ever involved

Jeremy and Ben
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      That is an excellent idea, I remember looking at your setup.

Jeremy,

Can you expound on the details a bit? Which Swisstrax product did you use and how do the bungees attach? Sounds like it could be a flexible system that can accommodate different airplane configurations and that is always a good idea.

Jim,

What paint did you use over the plywood? Primer? I hope not, I'd like to be able to do it in a one step process. Looks fantastic and completely up to Dolly Standard's!!

Scot

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      Scot,

I used Sherwin-Williams products and everything got two coats (primer then color).

The walls had a lot of dark knots so we primed them with Pro Block Primer (oil base). Nasty and smelly, but one coat made the walls uniformly white.

All other wood surfaces (excluding the floor) cabinet walls, doors, and drawers (inside and out) were primed with Premium Wall & Wood Primer (latex base).

Everything was then painted with the color coat (except the floor) using Solo Interior/Exterior Acrylic in color Heron Plume.

The floor and tailgate doors were painted with Armorseal Tread-Plex Acrylic in color Haze Gray.

Carpet is made by Foss, Select Elements Indoor/Outdoor Carpet Tiles 24 inch squares in color Sky Grey

Last edited by JimD; 11-20-2015, 09:57 PM.

More progress today... now all shelves, including inside cabinets, have matching carpet.

Also painted the floor and the tailgate panels.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I removed the tailgate panels so I could more easily and completely paint both sides of them. Considering that these panels will likely get rained on at some point, I wanted to have them sealed up good. Plus the hardware looks better without pain smeared all over it. Here are the pieces back in place.

Now to get a second coat on the interior floor!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Really looks good Jim!

Steve K
        Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Looks good Jim.......as far as the rear ramp goes........just paint alone may prove to be a curse.......I painted my floor and ramp with Deck Restore paint......the textured stuff because before it was painted I slipped down it a few times when at the end of the day in spring and fall it gets a bit "dewy"......no fun! You could get some of the black "grip" stair stick on strips and add those to it or they make a "traction" additive for paint that is basically sand that you mix in and put another layer of that down and it gives you a slip free surface......
          TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• JimD
            JimD commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info Tom, Butch told me the same thing from his experience with motorcycle trailers. My plan is to add anti slip strips every 12" using this product that Lowe's sells.

• JimD
            JimD commented
            Editing a comment
            BTW, I debated about painting the underside of the sailplane shelf, but then I asked myself this question; What would Tom do?

Anyway, I got the primer coat on yesterday! 😉

I got the second coat of paint on the interior floor just in time for sunset.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

They should just about wrap it up, shouldn't it?
            Looks great Jim
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              Next is lighting and power distribution. That will need to be coordinated with the onboard source battery and input from the generator.

Before 9/4/15

After 11/21/15

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

My goal is to make Tom proud...here I am, a very once in awhile amateur carpenter posting my project with everyone watching...and then there is Tom, the professional!

So was I really going to NOT paint the underside of my sailplane shelf and risk having Tom call me out? 🙄

Anyway, it was cold here today but I really wanted to get the color coat on the underside today. So I put my little shop heater in the trailer for about an hour and used the warmest part of the day to git-r-done. Hope Tom approves! 😉
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Not sure about Tom, but I am pleased with your work Jim. Looks Professional to me.

Steve K
                Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Originally posted by stevekremer View Post
                  Not sure about Tom, but I am pleased with your work Jim. Looks Professional to me.

Steve K
                  Exactly.........I would hire you! And for the record........ the underside of my platforms are........ wait for it......... bare wood!
                  I guess I will now need to drag out the drop cloths and paint them....... damn you Jim! 8-)
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• JimD
                    JimD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad I could be of service. 😉

Originally posted by Stew View Post
                  Jeremy,

Can you expound on the details a bit? Which Swisstrax product did you use and how do the bungees attach? Sounds like it could be a flexible system that can accommodate different airplane configurations and that is always a good idea.

Jim,

What paint did you use over the plywood? Primer? I hope not, I'd like to be able to do it in a one step process. Looks fantastic and completely up to Dolly Standard's!!

Scot
                  I will get a few pictures in the next couple of days Scott and post them.

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Got the anti skid tape this morning and applied the 4" wide strips spaced 7" apart on the tailgate ramp. Thinking that we need to add a strip across the middle of he foldout ramp.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
                    X