The perfect trailer for an aerotowing enthusiast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect trailer for an aerotowing enthusiast

Up until now, my rule has been that it must fit into my truck or i don't fly it...enter the 170cc class of tow planes and a 1/3-scale Schweizer 2-33 plus the fact that I now have a mix of tow planes and sailplanes. Even though my Porter and Decathlon can fit into my truck together, that leaves no room for my 1/4-scale Schweizer 2-33 and/or ASW20.

So....

Looks like it is time to at least consider a trailer.

I have had a fair amount of experience with towing a heavy trailer because of the need to transport my tractor to and from the field to mow the grass. The combined weight is around 2900#. I have had single axle and tandem axle trailers and at that weight, my preference is for the tandem axle.

The width is another issue, one of my trailers had a wide track, much wider that my full-size pickup truck. Never really had a problem, but I also did not have to take it anywhere that had narrow streets. My current trailer is a tandem axle flatbed deck over wheels model that is approximately the width of my truck (which is 80"), so if the truck fits through a space so will the trailer.

With an enclosed trailer, there is the width, the length, the height, and the "V" nose option...so what to get?

Last edited by JimD; 08-14-2015, 01:20 PM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Additional considerations, the more time it takes to get setup, the less time there is for flying. Having a popup shade is nice, but having a roll out canopy saves time. After seeing the roll out canopies on Len's trailer, Pete's van, and Gunny's camper, I am liking the idea of this option on any trailer I might get. This kind of sets the height requirement.

Then there is the rear opening barn doors vs. ram door. Wind, tilt, and shin busting can be issues with the barn doors. Ramp door is mostly a clearance issue.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• kd4jaz
      kd4jaz commented
      Editing a comment
      Any links for the awnings? I've thought about that many times but can't seem to find awnings for a 6x12 trailer.

Excellent Jim. Just think all your models can be in the trailer and in the back of your truck can be an extra pop-up tent shade, chairs, coolers sleeping bag sleeping tent etc. etc.

The two things that I would get on the trailer is the V-nose, ie. extra storage. torsion axles, And an electric tongue jack.

Good luck you'll need it, The trailer that is!
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

After looking at the weight of the Car Mate steel trailer, I decided to take the advice of several other members who have trailers. When I asked them what they would change if they were getting a new trailer, they all mentioned that they would consider an all aluminum version of what they have in order to reduce the weight.

I searched for aluminum trailer manufacturers and found a dealer for the Aluminum Trailer Company. The dealer is located near Carlisle, PA about two hours from where I live. They also carry other brands including Car Mate. Their online store is very helpful and I found what looked to be my perfect trailer, so I made the trip over to see it in person today and it really impressed me, so it came home with me!

It is the ATC Raven model 6' x 12' with 24" V nose. It has tandem axles with torsion suspension, aluminum wheels and radial tires. The rear door is a ramp style with a foldout ramp extension. Perfect for rolling tow planes up the ramp and into the trailer. It also has side vents and a roof vent, electric brakes on all four wheels, battery for breakaway brake activation, screw less exterior, and left side man door. Roof is one piece aluminum and the entire trailer frame is aluminum box tubing.

The size is perfect for my truck, wheels extend just slightly wider than the width of the truck and are easily visible in my rear view mirrors.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Here are some detail photos...wheels and tires:

Rear ramp door and interior with 12v dome light and ceiling vent.

Wall to ceiling trim...can tuck ceiling vinyl under this aluminum piece for a nice neat finish.

At home in my driveway!

Last edited by JimD; 09-04-2015, 11:03 PM.
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Congratulations!
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Looks fantastic Jim!! I think the choice of aluminum is a smart one. Lighter is always better. I'm sure you have a thousand ideas running through your head for fitting it out. You are an expert at thinking it out and researching what is available and current. It will be fun to watch how you finish it. Congrats. Now for the car port to keep it under?

Scot

Comment

Great looking trailer! Congrats Jim

Petr

Comment

Excellent Jim. You'll probably wonder why you didn't get it sooner once you start using it. Congratulations.
                Gunny
                Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Nice looking trailer. Best of luck with it. Like the idea of lighter weight. Anxious to see how you fit it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stew View Post
                    Looks fantastic Jim!! I think the choice of aluminum is a smart one. Lighter is always better. I'm sure you have a thousand ideas running through your head for fitting it out. You are an expert at thinking it out and researching what is available and current. It will be fun to watch how you finish it. Congrats. Now for the car port to keep it under?

Scot
                    Scot,

I already have the carport...drive in one side, drop the trailer, drive out the other side!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Nice looking trailer Jim. Interested in how you finish the inside. Now with all the aircraft in the trailer, will you be joining the campers?

Steve K
                      Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Very nice........ now....... off to Harbor Freight and get the 3 panel 45 watt solar panels for the roof....... switch out the roof vent for a power ventilator....... along with a 12 volt thermostat to control it....... once the wiring is done insulate the ceiling and put some panels up. I also painted my roof with white trailer roof paint.... reflects the sun better and forms a water proof barrier.
                        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Congratulations Jim.

Fine looking specimen you have there.
                          Welcome to the world of gas stops and right lane traveling. Much more fun than late night car unloading.

LEN
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Nice trailer Jim! When I was looking for a small trailer for my Carbon Cub, I saw a few ATC trailers...online....but none were close enough to go look at. My favorite part about getting a trailer....or any vehicle, is outfitting it for the gear!
                            Pete
                            PS:Will this become your new work bench versus the pickup truck bed
                            Last edited by Xroadie; 09-07-2015, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• JimD
                              JimD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hmmm...kind of clears off the tailgate workbench, so...I'm thinking the tailgate workbench is even more accessible now! 😎
                          Working...
                          X