ID:	15463

Got the Poly-Tone Juneau White on the stab/elev
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3965.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	15466

Comment

Finishing up on the scale tow release and nose area....lower stringers installed too. Wings up next.....

Name:	IMG_3971.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	15527

Comment

Now moving to the rear of the glider......
        Profiling Rudder counter-balance and general shaping....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3976.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	15576Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3977.JPG Views:	1 Size:	88.7 KB ID:	15575Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3978.JPG Views:	2 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	15577

Comment

0.5 oz fiberglass on the Fin - going to try to simulate the panel lines .......

Name:	IMG_3979.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	15611

Comment

Got some Christen Eagle Blue on the leading edge of the stab and now trying to figure out ..... two ....or three stripes. I think I leaning toward two.
            Strips are spray painted construction paper....spraying is less messy and more even coverage than a brush.........

Name:	IMG_3998.JPG
Views:	460
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	15682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3996.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	15681

The fuselage (naked) had to spend the night in the TearDrop Trailer with Big Bad Bidule.....hope it was OK.....

Name:	IMG_3987.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	15683

Comment

The Wing......

Apparently I forgot to order the 3/16 x 3/8 bass wood drag spar material so things came to a screeching halt.....Emergency Aircraft Spruce order.....good part is I can get 5' lengths for the tip section and I wont have to splice.....
              Was geared up for assembly but maybe I'll disassemble a different wing........

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4010.JPG Views:	1 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	15755

Scott
              Last edited by MarnochS; 03-09-2017, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Looking good Scott. The full scale fuselage and wing has 3 sunburst stripes. So, I'm liking the 3 on the stab. That's just me....
                Gunny
                Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Thanks Gunny, I'll have to ruminate on how many strips......meanwhile......its inspection day

y Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4018.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	15806

Comment

Here's some inspiration for you guys.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Thanks Kevin! Great job! I added this video to my website along with our local full scale 2-33 soaring video. The video shots from the selfie stick is cool. Scroll half way down to full scale 2-33 video.
                      www.aviationconceptsrc.com
                      Aviation Concepts - Videos - Giant scale kits and rc accessories
                      Gunny
                      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Have these builds come to a halt due to the summer flying season?

Also, which glue do any of you use for primary construction? I know that epoxy (I use a combo of West Systems or BSI 30 minute) has its place and purpose, and IMO so does CA, so I primarily use Titebond II, but I also have used in the recent past Super'phatic. I'm just curious as to the consensus for your primary "go to" glue.
                        [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

I use a combo also.
                          Mostly CA, Medium and thick.
                          West System where needed and white glue for sheeting joining etc.

Len
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thin CA for wood on scarf joints, thin CA followed by thick CA for wood on butt joints, Titebond for sheeting due to it's open time (extra thick CA also works), RC 56 for canopies, epoxy on high stress areas (firewalls, undercarriage structure, wing joiners etc.), epoxy for fiberglass to metal, wood or foam, Gorilla glue for foam and plastic. Bob Smith Ind. has a new foam glue (non-CA) that works great too.

Comment

Excerpt from my Aviation Concepts Rc FAQ page..

.What glues do you recomend?
                              Gluing together hardwood pieces ie. Bass, spruce and birch ply. Because these pieces are very dense it is recommended that you drill multiple tiny dimpled holes in both adjoining pieces. For general glue joints like this I like to use thick CA glue. Also, when gluing these pieces together with epoxy do not clamp parts so tight together that the glue squeezes out of the joint. You will have a weak bond.
                              Other glues used.
                              If you are a fan of aliphatic wood glue then Tite Bond II is the best glue for all general construction. Except for joining wing skin sheets together and gluing on the L.E. It is hard to sand and leaves a ridge. For these I like using the aliphatic wood glue from the makers of Gorilla Glue. It dries faster and sands really easy.
                              For attaching the wing skins to the structure I found the foaming Gorilla Glue works best. It gives you more working time to lay down the glue onto all those ribs. The other aliphatic glues skins over way too soon.
                              Medium CA glue is my favorite for all other balsa general construction, while thin CA is primarily used to harden pre-threaded screw holes in wood.
                              Gunny
                              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Was doing some model maintainence on my sailplanes and 1/3 scale 2-33. I added a brass eye screw between the tow release and the push bar. Reason for this is to retrieve the glider off the runway super fast with your leash when another sailplane is just seconds away from occupying the same spot on the ground! This is a definition of an accident!
                                A clearance hole is drilled through the fiberglass nose cone but the screw part is threaded into the 3/8" thick ply keel extension that is just behind it.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	30092Click image for larger version

Views:	233
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	30093Click image for larger version

Views:	230
Size:	85.2 KB