No announcement yet.

Graupner Cirrus X 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally a thin piece of wood/fiberglass would be glued to the flange and that is covered.

Comment

i guess that is a better solution - I did contemplate it but the flanges are very narrow (3mm) on mine.. and now I've already glued the spoiler in place at the right (wrong) height so if I glued a piece of wood onto the spoiler flange it would now be too high, duh oh.... ah well, i will know for the next wings i make with spoilers !
      Last edited by neilk; 06-04-2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

If you give some exact measurements to me then I can cut some lithoplate to fit onto you spoilers. Lithoplate is very thin and pretty stiff. I can even paint the top side white and have them ready to be epoxied in place at Horizon if you plan attending that aerotow.

Comment

Arup thanks for your generous offer, but I've added the balsa fairings now and Other will work ok. Also I live in Australia !

Comment

• ARUP
            ARUP commented
            Editing a comment
            Oz? Well... come on up! lol

Neil, sorry for the late reply. For some reason I don't get email notices on this thread. Very annoying. I glued my spoilers in after covering the wings so the covering is lapped over and down into the recess and then the spoilers set on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ingrahal View Post
            Neil, sorry for the late reply. For some reason I don't get email notices on this thread. Very annoying. I glued my spoilers in after covering the wings so the covering is lapped over and down into the recess and then the spoilers set on top of it.
            Hey Art,

I found a way to fix the annoying lack of email notices on this thread...... get on the site and check it each day. Just sayin...
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I've just turned notifications on (in account profile), I'll see if they work for me...

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post

Hey Art,

I found a way to fix the annoying lack of email notices on this thread...... get on the site and check it each day. Just sayin...
                A preacher once chastised me for only going to church only on Christmas and Easter.....that was the last time I went to church!!!! Just sayin

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As Redd Foxx's 'Aunt Ester' on the 'Sanford and Son' show would say... 'you heathen!' lol

Finally the new wings are complete :-)

The wings are at 3 deg dihedral, so I had to make hard balsa shims (since I didn't offset the root ribs). These were
                painted with dope to strengthen and then glue to the ply root ribs, and then I covered.
                Last edited by neilk; 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• ingrahal
                  ingrahal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks perfect Neil. You're gonna like the way she flies too.

hi all

I finally completed the electric conversion on my Cirrus. If you are interested you can read the log here.

Also here is the log for the aileron conversion I did a while a go

cheers
                Neil

Comment

Hi Ingrahal - everyone

This is my first post on Scale Soaring. I see that this thread has been quiet for 9 months. But - hey - what a great project! Maybe my post here will get things going again.

My interest here is multiple;

ONE. I have a Graupner Cirrus which I built in 1986. Except that it actually isn't a Graupner Cirrus. In fact I found the fuselage shells at the back of my local hobby store (now long gone, sadly). I had always lusted after a Graupner Cirrus during the 1970's - but could never afford one! I had a tiny photocopy of and outline of the glider and I scaled it up so that I could scratch build the flying surfaces. The result was a half decent 2-axis model which flew quite well except that it was very twitchy in pitch. That model hasn't flown for 30 years now... With Covid-19 causing lockdown here in the UK - I thought I would get the model out and completely refurbish it bringing it right up to date; Change the dihedral to 3 degrees, add ailerons and Schempp type airbrakes, re-paint and re-kit with 2.4g radio gear. The plans are now readily available on the internet - something I wish I'd had in 1986. So that's how I found my way here - when I searched "build Graupner Cirrus". Great stuff!

However - I have ended up with a lot more work than I was bargaining for. On examining the plans I was rather shocked to find that the stabilizer(s) I had built in 1986 were less than half the size they were supposed to be in the model version! I had taken the outline of an actual Open Cirrus, not the model. That's why the darned thing was so twitchy it's a wonder it flew at all. SO - I have rebuilt the stabilizers (I have photos if anyone is interested). Also on my 1986 version - I built it with an all-flying rudder, as I reckoned that a silly little half-sized thing wouldn't shift that big 3 metre wing. In re-kitting the model I am re-building the fin and rudder to the Graupner model plan specification. (photos available). Again - I was rather shocked to discover that the fin & rudder were all-sheeted in the Graupner model! On my 1986 version I had a simple open frame-work with nylon covering. I am in the middle of rebuilding the fin & rudder. After looking at Ingrahal's tratment of the fin/rudder, I think I'll use plasticard 0.5mm rather than balsa sheet. I will be lighter and blend to the fuselage better/easier. This is turning into a complex project and I haven't even started on the wings yet. If anyone has any ideas about how to speed this up - I'd like to hear them!

TWO. In fact I had a REAL Schempp-Hirth 17.7m Cirrus for 2 years 1992 & 1993 (photo attached - glider 782). I have 200 hours on type. In fact - my main passtime these days is flying my DG800B self-launching sailplane (G-CLSZ "44") - which I have just over 200 hours on. I got into real gliding from model gliding - but I am still a modeller at heart! As a pilot at Lasham - the worlds largest gliding club, I have access to prototypes of virtually all european gliders ever made. This is because Lasham is home to the Gliding Heritage Centre - a historic collection of vintage gliders http://www.glidingheritage.org.uk/

If any of you scale modellers would like any photos of real aircraft to work from - then I'm sure I can help you.

Martin
                  London

Comment

Welcome Martin.
                    Love the full scale DG800 !!!

Needs a color change to ORANGE?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6979.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	41057 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6974.JPG Views:	0 Size:	196.8 KB ID:	41058
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Welcome aboard! A close up of the fabric used on the Colditz Cock. That detail keeps me from building a model.

Comment

hi all

well I did finally maiden my electric cirrus and it survived ! Then the pandemic arrived so it's been waiting patiently. However, with the
                        very excellent help of a local friend (who helped me do the electric conversion), I now have a rudder that does not flop all over
                        the place. We replaced the floppy bendy push-rod with a pull-pull line system. Now 1) I get full throw, 2) it's symmetric hooray
                        and 3) I can't wiggle the rudder all over the place. Here is a little video

cheers
                        Neil

Comment

Hello Arup, lenb - everyone

lenb - when I saw your lovely model I thought it was an IS-28. We did have an orange IS-28 here in the UK for a while. I think I'll stick to orange, oh - and self-launching!

Arup - Did you see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSHugyLm8u4

My Cirrus stabilzers are virtually complete; Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9326.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	41130

It's coming along!

Meanwhile - I found some photos to work from from way back of me flying the Cirrus; 1992 Click image for larger version

Name:	bff385fe-60fd-41ee-a5e2-06c661fea572.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	41131

Interior shot. Very basic panels in those days - no GPS/moving map, no nuthin!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	424594b6-1576-4e8a-ab08-ebab2046de29.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	41128
                          In the years 2012-2015 I had a DG-200 15m G-DADJ "58". Here;
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2014-07-15 19.05.19.png
Views:	274
Size:	866.3 KB
ID:	41132
                          Cool huh!

Again - if anyone is interested - I can supply significant detail for your scale project, if desired.

I got into the real thing from flying scale model gliders. You guys flying big 3 metre plus ships launching by aerotow would find converting to full-size a snap. Also - for the price of some of those incredible models - you could easily afford to buy and fly a real glider. Jus' sayin'!

And finally - for those of you who may be interested - here is a video of some of the wonderful fun that can be had flying flying full-size. You should try it!!!
                          The 2019 soaring season has been my best EVER! This video in words and music shows the highlights.I hope you enjoy it!

Martin

Attached Files

Comment

• ARUP
                            ARUP commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Martin- thanks for the info! I have seen those and even have a DVD movie about the fellas and glider! I would like to obtain a close-up of the fabric (with a mm ruler against it if possible) and have some printed. My color vision is terrible so it would be nice to know the color(s), too! My other glider project in formative stage is one of Neil Loving's gliders. I never knew he was a glider guider until seeing photos and line drawings of them in a recent edition of Vintage Glider News. I think it would be a great tribute to a fine man as it would be to the fine men who envisioned the Colditz Cock escape!
                        Working...
                        X