X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al_M
    replied
    The video below was taken at the 1939 Cleveland Junior Air Races. It consisted of mostly rubber and gas powered free flight models, but there is one rc model shown as well. Note the guy with the headphones below, signalling to the pilot that he was hearing a signal from the transmitter during a range check.

Twenty years later, in 1959, I flew my scratch-built PBY Catalina in the same event, which had become a control-line only event. After crashing at the 1959 event, I rebuilt and repainted it for the 1960 event.

Leave a comment:

• Al_M
    replied
    The Ford Willow Run Plant, built just prior to Pearl Harbor, produced one 4-engined B-24 every 55 minutes. I had the privilege of working there as an automotive engineer when the plant was the flagship plant for Hydramatic Division of General Motors. It was a mile long; standing at the front of the manufacturing area and looking down one of the main aisles, one could not see the far end of the building; the aisle just converged to a point. The plant was sloped downward 4 feet from end to end to facilitate the conveyors that had to move the massive load of bombers as they progressed through the plant. Near the far end of the plant were the two large stainless steel turntables that rotated the bombers 90 degrees to the right to the final assembly and checkout area, before leaving the plant through two massive bifold doors. Both the turntables and the doors were still there when I worked at the plant. So here is the Willow Run Story. I am very proud to have played a tiny part in the plant's storied history. Sadly, the plant was demolished five years ago, in spite of it having been on the National Register of Historic Places.

- Al

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    replied
    [QUOTE=Al_M;n25463]Thanks to Pete G and yourself, 3.5 ounces of lead in the nose corrected the condition. For the life of me, I will never understand why Horizon never published a correction to the cg location in the manual.[/QUOTE]

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	25479

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    replied
    ATC and tower audio from the Southwest engine blowout and landing. One cool heroic cookie.

Leave a comment:

• Al_M
    replied
    Been there, done that with my Ka8 foamie! 😂 Thanks to Pete G and yourself, 3.5 ounces of lead in the nose corrected the condition. For the life of me, I will never understand why Horizon never published a correction to the cg location in the manual. The video proves I wasn’t the only one who experienced the upper case U wing syndrome.

Leave a comment:

• lenb
    replied
    Let's try some aerotowing

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    commented on 's reply
    “What could possibly go wrong?” Love it!

• Csessa
    replied
    Just a short video featuring and early Discus scale model. That LB on the tail must mean something.

Unfortunately the model suffered a catastrophic tail failure on one of the landings so it is now back in the shop for more repairs. The material in these oldies was not meant for long life in the sun.

Leave a comment:

• chishp
    replied
    Hi Guys Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNa3vczxzU for a taste of our Omarama event on April every year
    Last edited by chishp; 03-05-2018, 02:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    P-38 as a glider, too? A P-38 pegged its VSI with engines off during some Sierra Wave research back in the day! I think the pilot had a gain of over 10 thousand feet altitude. His engines were off to conserve fuel and to keep the Vne in check and he was continuously (?) diving because of the rapid thermal ascent! Amazing stuff!!!

• Swiss1
    replied
    Great videos, will watch them all over the coming days.

Jeremy
    SCCAAA TT TN

Leave a comment:

• Joespeeder
    replied
    Looking for a subject for a new scale tug? How about a P-38 ?

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...C-47-aircrafts

and 37 pages of glider related videos here.

Glider archive HD stock video footage clips and photos. Historic HD videos of Glider from CriticalPast are royalty-free and available for immediate download.

my favorite.... http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...actice_gliders

Last edited by Joespeeder; 02-26-2018, 01:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• blake
    replied
    This guy is great to watch, and so is the production team that create the videos with him....and not to mention the perfect soundtrack!

Blake
    A lowly P1 pilot.....

Leave a comment:

• Swiss1
    replied
    So tell me again, why do we stop towing after sunset?

Jeremy
    SCCAAA TT TN

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    +1 Now what do you do for the next 'rush'?
Working...
X