No announcement yet.

Flying in Salem CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just spoke with Klaus, sounds like he might be joining us. Das ist gut.
    Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

I hope to join you too. Looking forward to flying...

Comment

The horror!
        Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2709 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	2710 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	2711

...... it wasn't pretty!!!!...Her sister was found meters away also in decapitated state. 3 blades like a lawn mower through the canopy. Emergency crews were there asap but it was too late .

Comment

There has got to be more to this story that is begging to be told 😳
            A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

twas a stuff happens situation......tow plane had engine issue and had to abort after being in air, still over runway,... we both released the tow. Tow plane landed while sailplane wobbled at stall point over head and then moved ahead and landed in front of the tow plane which was still rolling a bit, and then .....chop suey!!!! Poor girls had no idea what happened to them.......will rebuild model and frankenstein the girls back together....

A nice day of flying though and one the guys let me try out his larger ship...felt a lot more stable and smooth. A real Great bunch at Salem! Good to see everyone again.

Got a used large Paritech Cirrus right away though now and will have it ready for Delaware!
              Last edited by hello82; 08-09-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I leave you boys alone for one weekend and what happens? Decapitations all around. This is why we can't have nice things.
                Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Will the Bidule owner please post his report here

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

For those with an extreme appetite for excitement and insatiable need for an adrenaline rush, we'll be flying in Salem this Saturday. The weather looks perfect for soaring and towing will start early.

Come join us if you dare.

Len
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Count me in...I'll be there early at about 8 to 8:30 and should be able to stay until about 1 or 2. The Bidule is ready to go and will be up for towing service for any that need a ride.

Bob

Comment

I dare....me too with the Cirrus...uh no decapitations please, new pilot installed...

Matt
                        Last edited by hello82; 08-27-2015, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Hey Matt,
                          I'll bring the your transportation box to give to you.

len
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Flying was excellent in Salem yesterday. Excellent weather kept most modelers home??????? and we had the place pretty much to ourselves. Yippee.
                            Matt, Bob, Myself and Rob were there towing until we couldn't stand up.
                            Interesting day though. During the week I had reprogrammed my Duo Discus to a new transmitter and the initial shakedown flight was fine with little changes needed. Somewhere in cyber heaven, the outer aileron and spoilers brain farted and decided to not play right. This resulted in an approach to landing that was way faster than planned, ( no spoilers). As I crossed the approach end of the field, I quickly realized I was moving way to fast to land, but way too low and slow to turn around. ( ENTER DILEMMA )
                            So with flaps on and the plane still not slowing enough to set down, I chose the obvious but seldom used option of landing straight ahead. So I applied a little up elevator to get above the corn and out into the crop we went, and went, and went,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,, and went some more.... at least it seemed.
                            Once the heckling settled down, a small group of us, because thats all there was, trekked into the corn to retrieve the 8m beast.
                            We looked for at least 30 min and could not locate the plane. Back to the field we went and pulled out the Typhoon 500 Quad. The copter was put into the air and within 20 seconds the Duo Discus was easily visible about 75 feet in, way closer than we thought. Somehow we walked right past it.

Rob hovered the quad over the plane as we ran in to retrieve her.
                            Not a scratch on the plane so we took her apart and carried her out. After an hour of investigation, it appears there was a channel issue with the power expander which needed to be initialized to the new transmitter.
                            It was fixed and I flew the plane the rest of the day.

BTW, The corn is about 12' tall
                            In this picture, there are thee guys standing near the plane
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	YUNC0042.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	3279

Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

That's why I want to get one of these drones so I can help locate downed aircraft and Which will hold the GPS setting and you can even use the GPS setting to treck in the field or corn or woods with a handheld GPS unit.

Shwew! glad everything was OK Len.
                              Gunny
                              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

children of the corn UNITE! It was a fun and exciting day hiking through such high corn stocks...lol. THanks len for bringing a tow plane, and the new one looks fun!... and also to Bob and Rob for towing us up all day...thermals were decent and was great to get out again right away after Delaware.

Got a pilot and seat into the cirrus now for a bit more scale action this week...its getting there....

Comment

Working...
                                X