X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkWinder project

First Post Sticky Update 7/26/20:

Demo video:

"video manual" (I hope this isn't as brutal to listen to as it was for me to hurry through getting all the info out.)

table of contents

Table of Contents:

Size & Weight :36
    Radio Requirements 3:14
    Battery Selection 3:57
    Release Servo 6:00
    Install 8:36
    Operation 11:34
    Troubleshooting 21:52
    Towline 26:45
    Fuse Exit Guides 29:05
    Testing 29:55

Shipping a few out the week of 7/27. Have 6 requested right now and enough parts to make 8 of them. If you would like to be put on my list, PM me. I will reach out when I have one available for you. (expect 2-4 weeks unless I already have you on my list)
    Last edited by MarkRobbins; 07-27-2020, 12:46 AM.

OK guys, many of you may be interested in this and I hope you enjoy.
    This project is actually 3 years old. After trying to procure an autowinder that Steve(right?) made years ago and not getting a hold of one I decided to make my own. I put it in my Bidule 111. Needless to say it worked great! Unfortunately the plane met an early death at the Sledworks Aerotow in 2017. I estimate it had between 100-150 tows is all. Bummer. RIP.

Thanks to a VERY good friend, I procured another Bidule 111 which I am putting together right now. If there is interest, I will document my winder project?
    ---------------------------------------
    Some more history. the following videos started in Fall of 2016 and go through Spring of 2017. They were made for just a few close friends so when I sound stupid or inebriated it's because I am/was....

Last edited by MarkRobbins; 07-27-2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I wanted this for a number of reasons. I have snagged powerlines....twice. AND I love paying no attention to dragging a line through what is often corn off the end of the runway. AND it's kinda cool.

In the first bidule, it was great to land really short, Taxi to where the sailplane will stage, hook up the sailplane and taxi the line back off the winch. Totally worth the time in development but I have several improvements I want to make in bidule #2 in regards to the MarkWinder.

Here is where I am currently at:
      I am using the same aluminium frame from the first one. I prototyped on the 3D printer then had a waterjet guy cut the aluminum. I have since bought a CNC router for the shop. Future MarkWinders will be cut out of phenolic in my own shop. They should be lighter and plenty strong. They beauty of this design is that the standoffs that hold the side plates can be different widths to accommodate different needs. I like that I can drag around 100' of paracord on this width. If you like the kind of rope that burns more, then it doesn't have to be as wide. I plan to put a narrower one in a 50CC size tug in a later project.

I used the CNC to cut some parts for the new bidule. Here is the towline guide, plate for the bottom of fuse for the MarkWinder to sit on, and a fuel tank plate to hold the main tank on CG. I'll use a header tank up front though my first bidule did not have a header tank.
      Attached Files

Comment

Mockup in the new plane. Old bidule next to this project for cannibalized parts and sanity reference. Click image for larger version  Name:	mockup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	39239
        Attached Files

Comment

New attachment to new plate ..
          Attached Files

Comment

Subscribed. Looking good. The original USA auto winder was produced and marketed by Steve Richman in New York.
            I have one in my Cmelak as I have crashed multiple times with my Pegasus when I have snagged power lines, fence lines, and even beans...very expensive over the years so definitely worth all the effort in my mind...I might have to add that ring that is closest to the winder inside the fuse on mine though.

Comment

Some updates. I have 3hrs of flight time on my new bidule and the new and improved winder. The latest CNC cut frame is much lighter thanks to some engineering help from Larry Sorenson. There is now 3 of my winders in use with a few more requests. They seem to do the trick! Just a few minor tweaks to the code.

It is really slick to have the glider pilot grab the end of the rope and hook up while the tug taxis forward. This isn't an issue on some fields but I tend to fly around a lot of corn and fences. Plus, I think it is cool. I can post some videos and pictures if anyone outside of our regional flying circle cares at all?

Comment

sure we care but do you want to make some up and sell them to us.. that would be even better since you have it figured out. would love one on my bidule 170

Comment

I'd selectively sell a few. Instead of 6-8 hours of soldering prototype boards like i have done on the last 4 of them, I just ordered some custom PCB boards to be made. When I have those, they could be made a little quicker. one night on the CNC, one night programming, and one night assembling could make a few...

Comment

looking good Mark...saw your second unit in action yesterday at the field...great work..
                    kevin

Comment

when you have an idea of price and delivery time for a unit or two let me know.. thanks

Comment

Would also be interested in details about the unit.....
                        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Thanks guys. Will be towing Thursday-Sunday next week. 3 of these in action. Should be well proven after that. I'll try to make some video. I may be able to make a few yet this Summer. I have 2 more promised out to local friends here first and then could offer some for sale.

Comment

Guys, I had to do a little maintenance on the bidule to get ready for next weekend. I shot a quick (actually long) video of the winder if your interested. At the very end my math skills are lacking and the data per retrieve should all be thrown out. forgive me, it was 6:30am....

Comment

Very nice.....super smooth!
                              TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Working...
                              X