Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a one piece cowl into a two piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a one piece cowl into a two piece?

Guys/Len, A few hacks ago, I believe there was a "how to" on cutting the top off a one piece cowl, adding fiberglass for new mounting flange to the top, and bolting the two piece back together around an engine that is too wide. I think it was done by Len B. but wouldn't bet lunch on it. It was for a tow plane of course, but I don't remember which one. Can anyone share how they have done such a modification? I hope so. Len, our new family member "Flynn" will be flying from Kentucky to our home in a couple weeks. Thanks for the assistance!

Post #33 has a "quick reference guide"

Bidule 170's have come to California The unveiling occurred at the Visalia Fall AeroTow, Mac was gracious enough to open the box so we could all "look

Comment

Also from page2 ,post #29 on the https://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum...ly-yak-2/page2

01-15-2019, 03:38 AM
      Going with a split cowl and Ring mount so I added the divider (two layers of 1" standard fiberglass tape ( Partall Film #10 brushed on the top cowl )

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4774.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	44050 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4776.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	44049 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4783.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	44051

Comment

Scott, Please share what type of fiberglass material you used to form the flanges to the cut cowl. Not sure I recognize the material. A source would be very helpful too.
        Larry

Comment

Hi Larry,

Its just standard 1 inch Fiberglass cloth tape ( 6 oz I think ) available from a multitude of sources. Typically comes in the "lifetime supply" 50 yard spool.
          Ebay
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-...QAAOSwqlZfoqS-

ThayerCraft Inc - I get most of my cloth here.
          Style T64, 8.75 oz/sq yd fiberglass cloth tape details and prices for 1" wide in 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 50 yard rolls from thayercraft.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	T64-1-inch-loose-roll-with-data-sheet-362px_w31hkmdv.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	44063

Comment

Thanks Scott. Very good to know. I'll order some this weekend.

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X