• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A line forms waiting for a tow

Patience for being last in line

Contest Director keeps a watchful eye

The locals had a big day

Ten years since last flight

And now a brand new radio and sailplane!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Glad everyone had a great time!! I was glued to my computer looking at updates....I was waiting for the Guinness Book World Record towplane mass launch

It must have been freezing the day this pic was taken....Swiss1 is actually wearing socks!!

Comment

OMG
        What an event.
        We arrived on Tuesday evening to a beautiful field, warm temps and no wind. Wednesday was frigid cold with wind blowing, slope city was the theme of the day.
        The next 4 days were EPIC. Warm temps and blue sky for most of the event, with a little breeze just to make the slope help out with lift.
        Over 10 hrs on my tug alone and at least that in sailplane hours in the air. One flight with the Arcus was well over and hour, only to be cut short to get down and take my turn towing.
        Many guys had their longest flights ever. Pete Goldsmith logged a flight somewhere around 3 hrs. ( WAY PAST MY LIMIT )
        Thanks to all the tug pilots, Pete, Jim, Stephane, Kevin, Connio and Steve K for making the event run smooth and as always thank you Jim and Marcy for opening this mountain up for all the guests to enjoy. You're kindness and generosity is always appreciated. Great food and friends....
        Thanks also goes out to the Kitchen staff. We need you guys as much as we need towplanes.

We have come up with an idea for the guys who don't show up because the forecast fools them into thinking it won't be good.

We're getting some stickers made for your trailers that say:

WEATHER CHANNEL PILOT

To those that didn't come out, wow, that was a mistake. ( typically is ) but then again it means more flying for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0648.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	16122Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0634.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	16114Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0615.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	16115Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0629.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	16116Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0617.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	794.7 KB
ID:	16117Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0606.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	16118Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0585.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	16119Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0610.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	823.5 KB
ID:	16120Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0637.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	16121
        Attached Files
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Swiss1
          Swiss1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I was there for 4 days and never saw Jelly Kelly!!

• Kris
          Kris commented
          Editing a comment
          What part of the Mountain was Mike Kelly flying on?

some more pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0639.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	16125Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0655.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	767.0 KB
ID:	16126Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0645.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	16127Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0605.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	851.5 KB
ID:	16128Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0643.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	649.0 KB
ID:	16129
        Attached Files
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Great pics Len! Thanks for sharing!! I wish it was closer...I'd come to all three of Jim's events

Comment

Always a joy to spend time on the mountain. Thank you, Jim, for your incredible kindness.

I unlocked the gate early Wednesday morning for what turned out to be a crazy day of frozen slope lift. Other days saw huge thermals yet also smooth late afternoon and evening slope lift that made it possible to fly where one wanted, when one wanted. Just magical and why we make the journey to Almost Heaven.

Thanks too to the fearless tow pilots, lunch "pilots" and just a great collective group of Soar heads! You're the best!

I brought along five slopers, three electrics and five scale sailplanes. Flew all but one and went home with a brand new bouncing baby Bidule!

Until July...
            Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Once again a wonderful long weekend on the mountain. Thanks Jim for having the event and working so hard so we all have food and drink and lots of flying time.

Quite the range of weather, but good flying every day.

I even even got to tow a few foamies with my foamie.

My my grandson enjoyed the day Saturday even with the carnage. There is some debate about who was at fault, see photo.

so now to a few repairs before the next event. Will,be back in July.

Comment

If it help's, its always the instructor at fault.
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I always knew I could multitask but never even realized I made the 'hill' with the Eaglet AND continued to work in Kentucky! Wish I could have been there but I'm a sissy and like it 'hot'... just like Marilyn Monroe! Looks like everyone had a great time. Nice pics!

Comment

Nice, guys! Thanks for posting the pictures. Dons 2-33 is Sweet Looking! Great job Don, I like the red stripes and spoilers on the wing....
                    Gunny
                    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Michael,
                      You are the only one who has noticed my planted picture. I put that in there to see who was paying attention.
                      Thanks for looking.

len
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
                        JimD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was noted without the need of omphaloskepsis, but with said omphaloskepsis, decided not to comment before Michael.

• Xroadie
                        Xroadie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I saw it lol...but was waiting for Michael to chime in with plausible deniability

• Swiss1
                        Swiss1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Please see above quote, I noticed before reading further!

Len, you should have photo shopped long breeches on my chicken laigs! It might have passed muster, then! JimD, Pete and Jeremy... LOL!

Comment

Link to my photos from the event.

Explore Conio Sessa’s 702 photos on Flickr!

Comment

• Swiss1
                          Swiss1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice pics Conio,

thanks for the photos Conio....so the ridge where you hiked to....is that over by the trailer stage left? Is that how the whole ridge looks basically to the right also? Just wonder how sharp the angle vertical is where we fly. I have see n a few other photos but it was from way above from a hovercraft.

I will have to do that hike next time!

wish we flying this weekend!

Matt

Comment

• Csessa
                          Csessa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ya, go to the trailer and then keep going. It is about a mile from the runway. Tried to get a shot of the ridge but did not have a good angle.

• Steve P
                          Steve P commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Russ has flown from that spot -- it was several years ago when the wind was right. Not a place you'd want to land!

• Soarntz
                          Soarntz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, Russ did, I was there... pretty amazing . I get the "Heebie-Geebees" thinking about it
                      Working...
                      X