EMS 6.1 meter Quintus with FES - build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve,

I am setting up my HModel 7.6m Quintus with a Torcman. Does your canopy have the compression strut in the nose? Mine does and it’s going to need some modifications to allow my motor mount to be secured in the nose.

Wondering if you had that issue?

Tim

Comment

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Tim. No. The EMS canopy has large rare earth magnets to keep it in the upright position. I simply had to grind a small half circle into the carbon fiber hinge arms to give the motor can a bit of extra margin to rotate.

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, post your build! :-)

"For my fellow Antares owners, this is what that canopy hinge should look like! Super strong and snaps open held with two magnets. It can be entirely removed with a twist. I have it installed without the canopy so that I can be certain it misses the motor upon closing."

Steve, are you certain that the leading edge of the canopy will stay down during your well known high speed passes? Seriously, is this enough holding power? I know nothing of rare earth magnets.

Tim

Comment

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      The canopy is formally front hinged and ain’t no way it would open in flight, the magnets simply hold it swung up when open. Simple. Easy peasy. There are also two locks - one on the right and the left sides.

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      And yes, it has been flown ballistically. Inverted.

Click image for larger versionName:	9C1779CB-52CF-4B41-83EF-4FC851F30298.jpgViews:	0Size:	68.6 KBID:	46467 Click image for larger version  Name:	F06D4D4D-4CC0-471E-B58C-985EE3CAFAF4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.3 KB ID:	46466 Click image for larger version  Name:	19953C83-939A-4FB1-B933-ECE6A09BCBDB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	46470 Click image for larger version  Name:	43444A5D-9B74-4D2C-8CE0-B3D53E34D2BE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.9 KB ID:	46469 Click image for larger version  Name:	51A84506-32EC-4E0F-97C8-75D2B6C50804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	46468 Click image for larger version  Name:	D2BEA89B-1681-4965-B48D-F67826D43E66.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	46465
    Steve,

I came up with a solution for getting the excess splooge out of the nose where a release was once installed. I had a hard time getting my hands inside my H Model Quintus fuse to reach to the inside tip of the nose and also couldn't find a decent burr tool that would cut at the tip, let alone worry about a bit jumping and damaging the glass.

The bit is a Dremel 801 Carbide Shaping Wheel. It’s been in my "bit quiver" for several years.

It so happens to be the exact diameter of the front bearing for the Torcman. Much like any other Dremel tool, it can be removed from the mandrill. I did just that and turned it upside down.

I slid it into the nose and stuck the end out the nose. I then tightened it onto my Dremel tool. I could then pull nice and straight and cut a perfect bearing “race” so to speak. My bearing now fits into the old splooge like a glove.

YMMV

Tim
    Last edited by Mosquito; 12-09-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet! As usual, my life serves as a cautionary tale to others.
Working...
X