Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slingsby T-37 Skylark ~ 1/3-scale model by Peter Goldsmith (Build Thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the flight and beautiful ship! Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but can you provide some basic specs on the power system?

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      I am posting a complete list of all the things I used to complete the model. Jeremy Hartmann (aka Swiss1) owner of the Model Box 2.0 Hobby Shop is providing a package deal on all of these items. He can be contacted at (205) 978-8787

Spektrum Servos:
    • A5060 (SPMSA5060) (note: need one of these for the rudder)*
    • A6320 (SPMSA6320) (note: need one of these for the tow release)
    • A7020 (SPMSA7020) (note: need four of these, two for elevators and two for spoilers)
    • A7050 (SPMSA7050) (note: need two of these for the ailerons)
    *Hangar 9 3D XL Full Servo Arm 4-40: JR (HAN3576) (note: need one of these for the rudder pull-pull system.

Motor system:
    Motor: Power 32 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 770Kv(EFLM4032A)
    Speed Control: 60-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (V2)(EFLA1060B)
    Prop: 14 x 8 Folding Prop with Aluminum 38mm Spinner(EFLP14080FA)
    Motor Battery: 14.8V 4000mAh 30C 4S LiPo, 12AWG: EC3(EFLB40004S30)

Launch Dolly:

DuBro Treaded Lite Wheels 4-1/2"
    (DUB450TL) (note: will need two wheels)
    DuBro 3/16" Dura-Collars (4) (DUB141) (note: will need four and there are four in one pack)
    3/16" Music Wire axle (note: will need piece 4-1/2" long)

Hardware:

Dubro Products
    • 4-40 Pull-Pull System (DUB518) (note: comes with 4-40 Kwik Links, but substitute 4-40 Ball Links on servo end)
    • 4-40 Threaded Rod 12" (6) (DUB802) (note: 6 in pack, but only need one rod for tow release mechanism)
    • 4-40 Heavy Duty Ball Links (2) (DUB899) (note: 2 in pack, but will need three ball links, so get two packs)
    • 2-56 Pushrod w/ Kwik Link 12" (5) (DUB185) (note: 5 in pack and will need four, two each for ailerons and elevators)
    Adhesives:
    • Deluxe Materials Aliphatic Resin 112g (DLMAD8) (note: will need two bottles for general construction)
    • Deluxe Materials Speed Bond 4oz (DLMAD10) (note: will need one bottle for sheeting using heat method)
    • Deluxe Materials Cover Grip 150ml (DLMAD22) (note: will need one bottle to cover model)
    Last edited by JimD; 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Thanks Jim. Pretty amazed that the Power32 can pull that thing up, but I also proves that the 100 watts per pound guidelines doesn't always apply to sailplanes. What kind of climb angle do you get from the dolly launch?

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are familiar with the Radian XL, it is similar to slightly better. Only required a ground run of about 20-30' to get airborne.

Keep in mind that the Skylark has very light wing loading with lots of wing area. All the motor needs to do is pull it forward, the wing does the lifting...not like a plane that needs a strong motor to pull it into the air.

The Model Box Shameless Commercial #1

Gentlemen, if any of you are interested in purchasing any of the completion components for this model I can make up a bespoke package for you and deliver it to the Cumberland Fall Event!
      I need to know your needs by latest Thursday the 25th next week in order to make sure I have all items in stock! If there are any other wants please call me at 205.978.8787.

And thank you Jim for your commercial

Jeremy
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Dion, I was concerned that the 32 would be lacking also. However I saw the prototype fly at Muncy PA and was impressed with it's climb rate and it's flight characteristics.

Mark

Comment

I did several launches with the Skylark at Muncy. It leaps off the ground before you have a chance to get yourself in trouble.

It climbs better than the XL, in my opinion, but you do have to fly it. Climbs better with a shallower pitch angle. Once you get it locked into that sweet spot it's a smooth climb as high as you'd like.

Kevin
          ​​​​
          ​​​​​​
          Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Hi Jim,

Thankyou for your build logs, they are well presented and make it easy for us to follow.

I am asking about the adhesives you have used.
            • Deluxe Materials Aliphatic Resin 112g (DLMAD8) (note: will need two bottles for general construction)
            • Deluxe Materials Speed Bond 4oz (DLMAD10) (note: will need one bottle for sheeting using heat method)
            • Deluxe Materials Cover Grip 150ml (DLMAD22) (note: will need one bottle to cover model)
            Are there alternatives? particularly for the speed bond, I am keen to try the iron on wing sheeting method but unfortunately here in australia, deluxe materials distribution seems to be in a state of flux and as such it is proving challenging to source the glue.

Cheers
            Steve

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Steve, I am told that most any brand of Aliphatic adhesive will work this way...but I have only tried it with the Speed Bond. Maybe others could offer advice about this.

• lunns
              lunns commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the response Jim, I appreciate it.

Guys I am putting together a order of the Pilot Bust from Tailored Pilots for the Skylark. If you want to be on the list please email me @
            petergoldsmithdesigns@outlook.com
            price is $55 plus shipping.
            thanks
            pete
            Last edited by Pgoldsmith; 12-05-2018, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Outliook.com or outlook.com?

Comment

• Pgoldsmith
                Pgoldsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, fixed the typo...

The Tailored Pilots for the Skylark will be shipping in 10 days. If you have ordered one I’ll be contacting you soon to get you shipping information.
              price is $55 plus shipping.

Kind regards
              pete

Comment

With the pilot busts being cast resin and having surface texture to work with, I am guessing that a painting process like the one described on the Aces of Iron website will work well. They have a free pdf available describing the process in great detail. I have painted a number of the Aces of Iron pilots and the process is not that difficult and very rewarding. The hardest part is finding affordable oil paints.

Give it a try!

Comment

Scot, I used Tamiya Color acrylic paints available from Horizon Hobby. They are water base, water cleanup, no odor, and one coat coverage. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P001.JPG
Views:	497
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	33128

Name:	P002.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	33127
                  A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Shameless Commercial

The Model Box keeps the full line of Tamiya paints, small and large jars (X,XF) of brush on paints, including all spray (TS,AS,PS) paints.

Jeremy
                    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I have been to The Model Box, and they do indeed have a full line of Tamiya Paints!!!

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	33161

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	33162

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Swiss1
                        Swiss1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank's Jim!

Guys pilots shipped out Friday, should be arriving Tuesday or Wednesday.
                      also I have 3 spare,
                      drop me a email if your interested.
                      petergoldsmithdesigns@outlook.com
                      hope your enjoying building season...😜

Comment

• ARUP
                        ARUP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My pilot came in mail today! Thanks much!
                    Working...
                    X