• Show
Clear All

• Swiss1
    replied
    Looks Good!

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    Started the covering process on the Ka-3 with Solartex Neutral. Stabs first as thy are the smallest and easiest to handle. 98% pleased with the application, 100% thrilled with the effect. When you haven't covered in awhile you forget just how much time it takes , ailerons tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    The box is nice! I love peeking in the box and seeing the happy sailplane all safe and sound! I've got five so far, lol.

• Gene C
    replied
    Finished up fitting the Ka-3 into the transport box. The fuselage bar required some aileron clearance, but otherwise it all worked out well. The wings rear mount rests over a pin to keep the wing from sliding in the cradles. A slide keeper holds the tail in its cradle while in transport. At least the Ka-3 will now stay at mostly free of hanger rash until painting weather arrives. Now that the airframe is protected one can turn to thoughts of covering.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Well... if I happen to be nearby and see you pull up.... I'm gonna run... lol FWIW, put some felt on the foam that touches the model. 3M spray mount adhesive works well. Make sure the felt anchors to the sides of the foam, too, to get more grip with the adhesive!

• Gene C
    replied
    Now that the transport box is finished the Ka-3 fuselage is first to be fitted. Seeing that there are very few hard points on a Ka-3 fuselage, a page was taken from the Cherokee box, with the fuselage being supported by the wing mount. Captured side to side and bottom to top (with the lid closed) the front of the fuselage is securely held. The tail will rest in a foam cradle to be finished with thin ply sides for strength.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    When I was younger it would have been a simple matter to rest it on one shoulder and haul it off. Atlas it has come to just sliding off the end of the PU truck tailgate and lowering the other end to the ground. There seems to be someone handy to lift it if needed, just to have a look inside.

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    That box is really nice! Can you 'pack' (as we say in Kentucky which means 'carry' lol) it by yourself?

• Gene C
    replied
    For the past few days I've been working on the Ka-3 storage box. The outside is not finished yet and the interior for wings and fuselage needs to be fitted and finished, but at least it's a box. Once finished covering can start.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    'Just remember to keep an open mind when looking for scratch built parts.'

That's right... everything has possibilities of becoming a model airplane part!

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    The most important thing is to keep an open mind when looking for an end scale part. In this case there were a few double 7/8" strap adjustment buckles in one of my wife's sewing boxes. When cut and trimmed they made great 40% harness buckles. Buckles for 1/4 and 1/3 harnesses have been made in the past from the polystyrene Kwik Lok closures (found on most potato bags and other produce). Due to the extrusion process they are tougher than pure polystyrene material. In this case, Z closure material was cut to make up the lap latch. The wire parts were formed from 1/16 dia stainless steel welding rod and soldered.
    Just remember to keep an open mind when looking for scratch built parts.

Leave a comment:

• Stew2
    replied
    Gene, How do you make the harness bits? They are outstanding!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    The pilot is taking shape and the parachute and restraint harness hardware is just about ready for some strapping.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    There would be a good chance to finish up the Ka-3 before June if it wasn't so blasted cold out. Stuff just won't stick well from below freezing to just above 68F, so in the meantime work will continue on the pilot, parachute and harness. If it stays cold much longer there is always the box to build.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    That's a thought I'll have to cubbyhole for future use. Thanks,
Working...
X