• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    There is always hope!

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Very nice! You won't be long before flying it!

• Gene C
    replied
    Painting weather is fast approaching (at last), this Tuesday, Wednesday for sure so it was time to assemble the paint booth from 10ft x 100ft 4ml clear plastic sheeting. Also needed will be the fuselage frame, so the fuselage can be carefully turned during the painting process. Starting with the stabs an ailerons moving then to the wings and fuselage, at least that's the plan.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Ahahaha! Shipwright's Disease is awful contagious!

• Gene C
    replied
    The day started by making a crutch to support the fuselage while outside the box before wings are mounted. A check of fits lead from one thing to another and before long an assembled Ka-3 was on the work bench. A little sanding of the right stab was required to provide clearance due to slight pressure on the fuselage fabric. The left, right balance also seems to be right on as is. A little work on aileron alignment and it's back in the box until painting.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    The fabric really teases you! I really love working with it.

• Gene C
    replied
    Busy day, but the outcome is promising.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Smith
    commented on 's reply
    Oooops! My bad! A brain cramp is a terrible thing!

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    Close but I won't tell Ida.

• Dave Smith
    replied
    Kudos to Ada!

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    Now that Otto has some cloths (hat still in progress), parachute and is harnessed in the Ka-3, attention can be directed to covering the fuselage.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    He is being decked out in duds, parachute & harness by my lovely wife at present. I have also learned in the pass 49 years to let her work at her own pace. Otto will show up soon I hope, but there is a glimpse of him on #177

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Where's Otto! lol

• Gene C
    replied
    Time to consider the balance point for the Ka-3 as the Ka-1 manual spec of 170mm back from the leading edge has had issues on the maiden flights of the Ka-1 base airframe. At this point my plan is to set permanent weight for a 33% C/G location with removable weight to achieve 25% for the maiden. Definitely do not want to be tail heavy at this point and have tail heavy issues on the maiden flight.
    Waiting on the Pilot (Otto Kurz [no reference to any living or deceased of that name]) to be finished before the fuselage is covered. All the pilot restraints need to be in place before covering the last framework.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    Well, for better or worse the left wing is now covered. The right wing is getting prepped now for covering tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X