Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schweizer 1-26E ~ 1/2.5-scale Kit by Peter Goldsmith (Build thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohhh, that's looking really really good Jim.
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Looking great Jim, just a week left, light those Oil Lamps

Jeremy
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Canopy is glued to the frame...I always hate that job.

Meantime back at the ranch, the lights are on and stuff wiggles!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2144 1-26.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	24334
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Jim, your build is an inspiration! I am so stoked to get started on mine, soon as I get it back from HH AeroTow! What width is needed for the rudder arm? 3"?

Comment

• Lights and WIggles are good! Looking good, Get that Iron warmed up......

Comment

• Bryan, the rudder horn has 3" spacing. We are using a Spektrum A6265 servo on the rudder and the H9 4" dual arm has 3" spacing on its inner holes. Guess I could have trimmed it down.

Name:	4031 1-26.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	24342

Name:	2140 1-26.JPG
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	24343
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Pgoldsmith
                Pgoldsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                A note to all builders, remember, remember. remember to attach the rudder horn to the rudder before you glue the rudder to the fin.. Ask me why I know this :-)

• JimD
                JimD commented
                Editing a comment
                Wisdom comes when you have paid the tuition for knowledge!

• Functional scale aftermarket parts coming soon from Aviation Concepts for Peter Goldsmith's 40% design Schweizer 1-26.
              Thanks to my Representative Jim D. for supplying the dimensions. Also Thank You Pete for designing this American Soaring Legend!

As you saw in an earlier post 40% decals will be available too.

See the attached PDF files for the....

Sketch 1 - Scale tail wheel assemby (formed aluminum and tig welded, screw mounted and includes scale hockey puck rubber wheel)

Sketch 2 - Scale aftermarket heavy duty nose skid 1/4" thick aluminum including rubber shock blocks and screws.

Sketch 3 - Scale wing tip skids... "Schweizer's trade mark look for the 1-26" (spring steel music wire with mounting strap and formed bracket jig tig welded. Includes scale hockey puck rubber wheels, mounting blocks and hardware)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by gunny11; 03-15-2018, 08:28 PM. Reason: Revised Sketch 1
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Here is the installation of the tailwheel using the included kit parts and a 1" DuBro wheel (DUB100TW)

Cut slots in aft fuselage bottom just in front of the last fuselage former. Plywood sides straddle the 3/8" bottom fuselage stringer. Need to add 1/16" to each wheel mount to account of the width of the wheel. We did this by using a double thickness of the 1/32" plywood scrap material.

Name:	6001 1-26.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	24403

Name:	6002 1-26.JPG
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	24404

Name:	6003 1-26.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	24407

Name:	6004 1-26.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	24406

Name:	6008 1-26.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	24405

Name:	2145 1-26.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24399

Name:	2146 1-26.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24401

Name:	2147 1-26.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24400

Name:	2148 1-26.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	24402

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Nice Jim. I revised Sketch 1 two posts up reflecting the tail wheel location and installation.
                  Last edited by gunny11; 03-15-2018, 09:50 PM.
                  Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Aileron and elevator control horns are cut from 1/32" G10 sheet. The pairs need to be laminated together to make 1/16" thick horns. Lightly sand one side, clean with thinner, and use CA or epoxy to join.

Since the slot in the ailerons is not that deep, we drilled holes on the inside to help keep them glued in place. Covering was applied to the bottom side of the ailerons, then the horns were installed, and then the covering was applied to the top. Same thing was done for the elevator.

We modified the aileron controls horns as pictured so they would fit into the slots in the ailerons.

Name:	152 1-26.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	24424

Name:	153 1-26.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	24422

Name:	154 1-26.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	24423
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Spent most of yesterday attaching the root ribs to the wings and mating the wings to the fuselage, plus, finish sanding and cleaning up in preparation for covering.
                      Here is a little glimpse of what I am doing with the color scheme. Will be the same design as Peter's prototype, but in different colors. BAse color is UltraCoat Cream with True Red and Black trim.

Name:	155 1-26.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	24434

Name:	156 1-26.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	24435

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Looking great Jim, can't wait to see it in person and behind my Pawnee!
                        Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Rounding 3rd base... headed for home

Comment

• WOW! Awesome Job! The cream and red looks Fantastic!
                            Gunny
                            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Keep in mind that the plane I am building is from the second set of parts cut from the original drawings and not the version that was used for the current run of kits. Peter did modifications and refinements to the design as he built his prototype, but my parts were cut before he even started on his wings. This is why my aileron horns had to be modified and is not something that will be required of the kit builders. Aside form the horns, a
                              dditional refinements continued to be made as I progressed through my build over the following month to make sure that the kit builders will have an even smoother time building their models.

Here you can see that the shape of the horns for the ailerons has been changed to match the slots they fit into.

Name:	157 1-26.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	24446
                              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X