Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slingsby T-45 Swallow ~ 1/3-scale Kit by Peter Goldsmith (Build thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slingsby T-45 Swallow ~ 1/3-scale Kit by Peter Goldsmith (Build thread by JimD)

Link to Peter Goldsmith Designs Web Page:

Wingspan 176"Length 96"Weight: 17-19lbsAirfoil: SD30214 Channel: R,E SP, AIL. The Slingsby Swallow is a wonderful scale Sailplane that can be flown in most conditions. It’s 1/3 scale accurate outline provides a wonderful canvas for those looking to do a super scale build. Although nothing has been compromised to maintain scale fidelity, the Swallow is extremely easy to build. If you have just basic balsa building skills, this kit will propose no challenges. The Swallows flight characteristics are what we would call relaxing. Although it’s more than capable of flying in strong winds, it really comes into its own in light thermal conditions. If your new to scale aero towing this would be a great choice. Kit includes all laser cut wood parts, all wood stock and 1/32” plywood skins for wings and tail group. Also included is a full size plan and instruction manual, crystal clear canopy, incorporated tow release, and basic hardware for completion. Completion Items:Tow release SPMSA7040Rudder SPMSA5060Spoiler/Elev 4 x SPMSA7020Aileron 2 x SPMSA7050 Receiver SPMAR9030T Flight pack SPMB4000LFRX Support: Slingsby T-45 Swallow Manual

Peter and Caroline Goldsmith attended the 2017 Cumberland Spring Soar for Fun and we were introduced to the new planes that Peter had just completed. The Czmelak tow plane and the Slingsby Swallow sailplane. We got to see these models in action again at the June Horizon Hobby Aerotow in Monticello, IL and again at the August Winamac Aerotow in Winamc, IN.

Since getting involved with giant scale soaring in 2010, I had been looking for a kit built model that would fill the role that my Airtronics Olympic II had provided back in the 1980's. A simple and reliable sailplane that be would my "go to" sailplane for general soaring enjoyment.

Shortly after the Spring Soar for Fun, Len told me that Peter was going to do a limited kit run of the Swallow... I knew that I had finally found my ideal giant scale sailplane!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4016.JPG Views:	1 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	21247

Building season finally arrived and the first thing that I did was build the cockpit interior for my Aviation Concepts 1/3-scale Schwiezer 2-33. The plan was to finish the 2-33 and then start on the Swallow, but first I needed to order wing sheeting. Rather than losing momentum, I decided to just take a look at the Swallow kit and maybe just build the rudder to get a feel for how Peter designed the model. Things went so well that I moved on to the elevators...and then the stab...and then the fuselage...and then the wings!!! Oh my, this is addictive...and it builds very quick!

Not to worry Gunny, I will be moving back to the 2-33 well before Christmas!

Here is Caroline's Slingsby T-45 Swallow at the Horizon Hobby event in June:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3601.JPG Views:	1 Size:	412.6 KB ID:	21248
    Last edited by JimD; 10-16-2018, 07:48 PM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Here are a couple of progress photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3944.JPG Views:	1 Size:	339.2 KB ID:	21251

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3943.JPG Views:	1 Size:	370.6 KB ID:	21254

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3951.JPG Views:	1 Size:	334.9 KB ID:	21253

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3970.JPG Views:	1 Size:	315.6 KB ID:	21255

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3995.JPG Views:	1 Size:	309.8 KB ID:	21250

***PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ROOT RIB IS NOT PERPENDICUAR TO THE SPAR LIKE ALL OF THE OTHER RIBS***

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4020.JPG Views:	1 Size:	345.7 KB ID:	21252

Last edited by JimD; 03-08-2018, 05:38 PM. Reason: Added note about the root rib angle.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Having fun with the sheeting, a little patience, masking tape, and sandpaper does wonders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4010.JPG
Views:	859
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	21257

Name:	IMG_4015.JPG
Views:	805
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	21260

Name:	IMG_4022.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	21258

Name:	IMG_4013.JPG
Views:	870
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	21259

Name:	IMG_4012.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	21261

Name:	IMG_4018.JPG
Views:	819
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	21263

Name:	IMG_4021.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	21262

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Christmas of what year? 🙄
        Gunny
        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Alright, JimmyD! I have built my T 45 rudder! The construction looks familiar!

Comment

Good Work Jim......looks like I better get a move on catching up to you and Mike.

Comment

HI JIM,
              Nice looking wood joints.
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Time to build the ailerons and they follow a similar design to the rudder and elevators. A thin plywood skin (with laser etched rib pattern on it) has a leading edge balsa stick and ribs that glue onto it. Once the glue is set, these parts get sanded to the proper taper and then the top skin is added. Here is how I build these structures.

First, my two must have tools, Scotch 1-1/2" masking tape and a Master Airscrew Razor Plane.

Name:	IMG_4051.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	21313

Name:	IMG_4050.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	21312
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Step-by-step

Name:	IMG_4041.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	21315

Name:	IMG_4042.JPG
Views:	787
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	21318

Name:	IMG_4043.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	21316

Name:	IMG_4044.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	21317

Name:	IMG_4045.JPG
Views:	797
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	21323

Name:	IMG_4046.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	21322

Name:	IMG_4047.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	21321

Name:	IMG_4048.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	21319

Name:	IMG_4049.JPG
Views:	787
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	21320
                  A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

awesome thread and an awesome sailplane...saw it in Illinois and again in Indiana this past season...Caroline flies this one so well..
                    kevin

Comment

Thanks Kevin!

Once the top skin is glued on, I hold it in place with pins and weights.

Name:	IMG_4054.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	21326

Name:	IMG_4052.JPG
Views:	791
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	21328

Meantime back at the wing, the spoiler pocket was added.

Name:	IMG_4053.JPG
Views:	778
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	21327
                      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Several things about the wing that may be helpful. These ribs have doublers that should be added before building the wing panels.

Name:	IMG_4038.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	21339

The bottom trailing edge sheeting needs to be shimmed up to keep it in contact with the bottom of the ribs. We used stick pins to hold the aft edge flat on the building board.

Name:	IMG_4030.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	21337

The spruce spars and the spruce leading edge alignment stick need to be joined to extend out the full length of the wing panel. Making a nice long scarf joint is helpful.

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG
Views:	745
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	21335

Then we got hit with a surprise airframe inspection!!!

Name:	IMG_4032.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	21338

We distracted the inspectors by turning on the "world" TV.

Name:	IMG_4025.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	21336

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Wing leading edge is in two parts. First piece is glued onto the leading edge, then it is sanded to the contour of the ribs, then the wing sheeting is applied, then sheeting is sanded flat with the sub-leading edge, then second part of leading edge is glued on. We lightly sanded the fronts of the ribs (using the scorched edge color as a reference) to true things up before adding the first piece of leading edge balsa. The balsa strip was marked and glue applied and then clamped onto the front of the ribs.

Name:	IMG_4055.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	21367

Name:	IMG_4056.JPG
Views:	775
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	21366

Time to start getting ready to build the other wing panel, first thing is splicing the top and bottom wing spars...we used a 2-1/4" scarf joint, clamps, and slow set epoxy to join the spars. As a way of making sure that the spars are straight, the pieces are clamped to the straight edge of our bench while the scarf joint is clamped and epoxy cures.

Name:	IMG_4057.JPG
Views:	747
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	21364

Name:	IMG_4058.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	21365

Tail feathers and ailerons are all done except for some final sanding.

Name:	IMG_4060.JPG
Views:	802
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	21369

Last section of fuselage bottom sheeting is nearing completion.

Name:	IMG_4059.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	21368

Aileron servo trays and fuselage top access hatch parts were laminated using these handy clips from the office supply store.

Name:	IMG_4061.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	21370
                          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

After the epoxy had cured, the spar was unclamped and lightly sanded to remove excess epoxy on the outside of the joint.

Name:	IMG_4062.JPG
Views:	763
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	21375

The rudder tray was added to the inside of the fuselage.

Name:	IMG_4063.JPG
Views:	763
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	21374

And the final piece of sheeting was added to the bottom of the fuselage.

Name:	IMG_4064.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	21373
                            A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I'm coming in a little late to this party. Very nice build so far Jim. Seeing this, I've decided my next build will be a kit! I love your inspectors.
                              [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

• JimD
                                JimD commented
                                Editing a comment
                                We had gone a little over a year without a cat in the house and it came time to find another furry friend. The local animal shelter posted a picture on their website about a pair of cats that had been left homeless following the death of their owner. They were 4 year old brothers and the shelter did not want them to be separated. We decided to go meet them (Bates and Bertram) and immediately knew they were meant to come home with us. Bates and Bertram have been with us now for three months and they are a true joy!

• Tango Juliet
                                Tango Juliet commented
                                Editing a comment
                                "Tux" has lived in my neighborhood for several years according to neighbors (myself, only 2.5 years). He belongs to someone else, but he's not as cared for by them as he is by me. I bought him a flea/tick color this past summer because he was getting so eat up. He returned with a phone number written on it. I called and spoke to the lady who explained that,
                                'his name is Jack", that, "he has owners", and that they, "recently added a dog to the family". She also stated that they have a "dog door" so he can come and go as he pleases. She was a little upset with me for giving him attention because it would cause him to, "not be affectionate with his family". I informed her that I had no real intention of taking him away from them. Due to my work schedule I really can't keep a pet... I'm away from home for seven days at a time. However, I also feel that he is no longer getting the attention he deserves from them, so when he comes around, which is almost every day that I'm home, I shower him with affection and love.
                            Working...
                            X