Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DennisB
    replied
    Can you measure the distance from the trailing edge to the front of the vertical fin?

Leave a comment:

• mlachow
    commented on 's reply
    There should be several of them in California. There were three others in this batch to Flightcomp. Hopefully mine is ready to go by the end of the month and I can find a nice day to fly it.

• mlachow
    commented on 's reply
    The pages have a good description of the design process.

• mlachow
    replied
    Some simple stuff. The battery tray gets glued into the nose with some West Systems G/Flex. I also added connectors to the YGE controller that will sit under the battery tray. I have a 6S2700 pack which should be good for two climbs and course time and some spare change. I also marked up the boom part for cutting holes for the MKS HV737 and 747 servos. 737 is the faster one for the elevator. 747 will be for the massive rudder with the short control horn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glue Tray (Large).jpg
Views:	398
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	48888

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    replied

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	48886

Our new project, which we are currently working on intensively, is PIKE Paradigm. This model is designed by Philip Kolb and Benjamin Rodax. The model is designed for the GPS Sport category, which is very well developed in Europe. Also it is great for slope alpine flying or flying for fun anywhere because it has an elec

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    What’s the wing span?

Leave a comment:

• DennisB
    replied
    I’m going to look at the new Nan Compass in a few days, I’ll be curious to see a Paradigm up close as well. They both look very nice. I like this size of model beyond just GPS competition.

Leave a comment:

• mlachow
    replied
    First step on the nose, drill the front end for the motor. I made a template on the CNC router for the bolt hole pattern and the outline of the front housing. Drilled the four holes and scribed the line for the front end. Then used a dremel to open up the front for the motor. Leomotion 3631-2050 with a gearbox. Up to 1900 watts (15 seconds) so it should be able to handle things. It's a little more powerful motor than the 4023 that is on the Samba web page. This thing is going to be flying at 7kg.

Name:	Motor Mount (2) (Large).jpg
Views:	437
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	48881

There is a tray provided for the front end. I sanded the edge a little to lower the tray slightly. My 6S2700 pack should fit anywhere I want up front. The YGE-95LVT ESC sits right under things.

I will need to run a bunch of wires from the front back to the RX. Throttle/BEC Power, Telemetry cable, servo channel for Sparrow. I'm also going to try and add a remote RX up front. The nose is all glass. Even that black colored stuff on the side is supposedly glass. Only a small amount of boom carbon extends at the very back edge where the nose slides in. Hopefully I don't have to remove the nose very often.

Name:	Motor Mount (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	48880

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    replied
    Very nice. Thanks for posting with all the details. This seems to be “the” sport class of choice. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• mlachow
    started a topic Pike Paradigm

Pike Paradigm

I've been waiting for a new toy. All the servos, motor, prop, electronics have been sitting in a box for a few months. Things finally made it to NJ by way of CA.

I assembled all my parts. Model came with wing LDS servos installed. I have to do the rudder and elevator servo install. Motor and prop is on the nose and the battery pack is in there. All the parts are currently around 4600g and CG close to 104 where I'll start. MKS6625 installed in the wing. Lots of power since these are some pretty large surfaces. The plane barely squeezed onto my CG scale so I could check how close I would be to the CG range. It is good.

Name:	Paradigm Initial CG (1) (Large).jpg
Views:	484
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	48873

The wing tip LE's needed a little sanding. Better under sanded than over sanded. Tip panels are still a pain to get on I think they changed the tip angle from what was originally put into the wing tips. The mold angle appears around 6 degrees but the joiner is around 8 degrees. So the pins don't slide in as nicely as they could.

I have to get used to the really big vertical fin That is the one unusual bit.

Wing center, 1616g (Servos installed)
    Left tip 454g (Servo installed)
    Right tip 450g (Servo installed)
    Nose 280g. It is a lot of fiberglass. About 1.5mm thick.
    Stab 52g
    Fin 90g , It is really big
    Boom/wing mount 4726
    Joiners 126g
    Misc cables, screws 84g

Ballast is up to 8 bars that add up to 2300g

So with full ballast, it should be close to 7000g

Name:	Paradigm Initial CG (2) (Large).jpg
Views:	478
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	48872