No announcement yet.

1/4 Franklin Eaglet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never got pics of everything in 'sheer' unsealed Koverall which is a bummer. The wings are covered, sealed and doped white. The stencils/ patterns were made from paper so the feather motif could be penciled onto the white paint. You can see where the progress is by going full circle to the first page! Any question then just ask. Maybe my answers will make sense but then again they might not! Maybe I'll finish it some day.
    Last edited by ARUP; 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM. Reason: 'in sheer' not 'is sheer'

Comment

Dion! That snow was an unexpected event. I put a plant out for the rain last night. I've had it for 10 years and am afraid it might have frozen to death. Thanks for the pizza and fun at your house with you and your family last night!

Comment

That snow got me thinking about skis for the Champ......

Comment

Dion, I've never flown off snow skis. The B.S.Levy book is a hoot! Makes me wanna start cutting plywood to make forms to beat out an OSCA replica car or sump'n! Waddaya tink?

Comment

I told you that you'd like it. Wait till you get to the jags....

Comment

I love Jags! I want a '64 Coupe. Have y'all checked out those Al Moss DVDs, yet?
              The weather was fair so some work got done on the Eaglet's struts. 4oz. cloth and polyester resin put on then they were sanded. Once the weather gets warmer (need >~70 degrees) they'll get resin and microballoons for finish sanding prior to painting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	9148 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	9149

Comment

I've been busy! Masking tape galore! The wing 'feathers' took forever to mask!!! They are done so that's all that matters. Vinyl (HyStick blue 1/4" and 1/8" found at auto paint supply stores locally) tape gives a better edge but some of the curves are too tight in radius to use it. The yellow tape is 'Nitto Tape', also found at auto paint supply stores. It is a lower tack that your regular masking tape and doesn't leave residue behind. Segments of yellow tape were stuck to a credit card size I.D. card. The paper mask used to pencil the 'feathers' onto the wing was used as a guide to cut the curves in the mask. Tedious but doable. Have good magnifying glasses! The SIG Light Red dope was thinned 50/50 and shot from my Badger Touch-up gun at 30lbs of pressure. The tape edges were burnished down using the back od a fingernail just prior to painting. The first 'mist' coats were sprayed at ~30" so that the taped edges would gradually be sealed. If you spray too heavy then the thinners can cause the tape to unstick which results in unwanted seepage. Some folks lay on a coat of paint that is the same color as the base coat to guard against this. Pick your poison. I'm just lazy and don't want to go through an extra step of cleaning the gun. Plus... while I wait for mist coats to flash I can sip a nice cool Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout!

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	10433 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	10434

Name:	IMG_1142.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	10435 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1143.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	10436

Name:	IMG_1147.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	10437

Clear coat is next, followed by Texaco stickers. Stickers were used on the original so that is 'scale'! The struts needs surface prep then paint. All that is left then is radio install, pilot 'office' detail and lead for balance.

Comment

• ingrahal
                  ingrahal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice work. The paint is so stressful. It can go sooo bad sometimes. But when it goes good it sure is rewarding.

Looks great! Glad you got the dope layer down.

I went on a 2.5 hour ride instead.

Comment

Thanks, guys! Yes... paint can be problematic but I pretty much have dope 'down' now! I really like to paint with it. Dion, I got a nice ride in this morning after more work on the Eaglet. When I finished the ride I did more work and can say that all the servos with correct throws, differential, radio subtrims and etc. are installed! Whoopee! Radio install is my least favorite part of a build. Next is to finish the struts. They have been glassed so next they'll get a few coats sanded of Fibre Glast' 4116 lightweight polyester filler coat. The struts on the full scale were steel tube so these will have to be smooth to look like painted steel tubing.

Comment

Another 3 hour ride today, and another coat of poly on the Cherokee.

Comment

You guy's have way to much time to ride bikes and not enough projects
                      Jelly Kelly, you taking your bike to the Horizon Aerotow? If you do I might just bring mine and we can have some early morning rides
                      By the way nice progress with the Eaglet since I saw it 9 months ago!

Jeremy and Ben
                      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
                        You guy's have way to much time to ride bikes and not enough projects
                        I hear ya. The bike sort of takes over my life in the Summer. It doesn't do much for my hobbies, but it helps the waist line!

Comment

Originally posted by Dion Dunn View Post

I hear ya. The bike sort of takes over my life in the Summer. It doesn't do much for my hobbies, but it helps the waist line!
                          I agree with the waist line, it's been ages since I was on the bike

Jeremy and Ben
                          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Jeremy, I haven't packed to see if bike will fit this year but if we do ride I can give you a tow! The Eaglet is clear coated and the skid and struts have a coat of resin and microballoons! Tonight, if the resin is cured hard enough (it's been unusually cool here in KY) they will get sanded in preparation for paint. Some lead has been added to the nose... more needed but will get done this weekend at final assembly. The turnbuckles on tail group will get safe-tied after proper rigging at trial field assembly. The pilot's sling seat will get fabbed and the stickers get placed. Whew! It's almost an 11th Hour thing!

Comment

It will get done, I have faith in you, as I sit here reading the thread and the B4 is still on the bench I better get back to it myself!

Jeremy and Ben
                              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Working...
                              X