• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bidule maiden!

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Well, the Bidule 111 seems to be everything its bigger sibling is on a smaller scale. The DA 100 on K&S cans has plenty of power for the majority of sailplanes though I think I would consider a 120 if you are thinking about one of these. Equipped with the extra cc's it would handle 40%er's easily. I have little doubt it will handle the normal sized 40%er's but I didn't have an opportunity to try it this past weekend at the Clover Creek Aerotow.

The plane tracks VERY well on the ground and in the air on tow. I found the assessments of Len, Bob and others as to its flight characteristics to be spot on. I really do like this plane. I was concerned about the nose gear but it held up well during 2 days of flying until I crunched it late Saturday with a bad decision.

I had been landing with no flaps on the first day and the airplane took a lot of runway to settle in but when it did it stuck like glue. Everyone who flew it liked the way it handled but comments were made about the elevator being too sensitive, especially on landing. I added in a good deal of expo and reduced the elevator throw and it seemed to help. When I started putting in full flaps (with elevator compensation) it seemed like the sensitivity returned. At this point, several more experienced pilots mentioned they thought it might be tail heavy, causing some of the sensitivity issues on landing with flaps. I decided not to change anything at that point as it was flying very well otherwise; I'd just land without flaps and make long approaches until I could assess the balance and remove some tail weight if balanced too far to the rear of the range. I had heard that Len had added weight to his and I wound up adding 8 ozs in mine to get to the center of the range. In retrospect, I'm thinking I may be towards the back end so I will now remove about 4 ozs to see if things settle down.

As luck would have it, I was making a short approach on what proved to be its last flight for the event and the elevator sensitivity caught up with me and I ballooned too much and in the nose gear went when I corrected. It was immediately obvious that the nose gear had collapsed. I retrieved the model and was pleasantly surprised at how little damage there was. I was more concerned that the gear shock remained in a completely collapsed position so I worried all the way home that the shock was toast or the gear was so bent as to be inoperable.

After I got home, I sat on the couch pondering the wisdom of my decision to try the tricycle gear route. I found out at the event that Kris Van Nostran is modding his 170 into a taildragger from the get-go and rumors are that others are considering the same idea. I thought about that approach.....for about 30 minutes but realized it would take a lot longer to do that than to fix what I had. Too, the memories of the ground handling were just too vivid. Decision made, repair it in the original configuration.

I will say that my rework of the steering system worked flawlessly AND survived the crash unscathed except for a bent Hangar 9, 2-1/2" Titanium turnbuckle that bent at the ball link clevis that attaches to the steering lever arm. The HiTec 7955 is fine, the bell crank shows no breakage and the aluminum bracket is OK as well. At this point I'm thinking the nose gear system is OK and I'm on to repairs.....
      Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 09-21-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Here are some shots of the damage before teardown.

Comment

I thought I had lost the nose gear when I first looked at the damage. It seemed to be locked into the collapsed position as show in the third photo. I looked the gear over carefully and couldn't see any areas that were bent. The second photo shows the problem. The force was so heavy that the center shaft had been driven past the tie plate that holds the wheel axle supports as seen in the photo. Some careful tapping with a regular hammer freed up the jam and the shock immediately returned to normal position as shown in the first photo. It is a relief to think I don't have to get a new nose gear at this point. Onward with the repairs....
          Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 09-21-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Asher,
            Sorry you had a little mishap, but happy it seems to have all worked out in the end.

My 2 cents.

Converting this plane to a tail dragger is a mistake I believe. Kris and I have spoke about this and he knows full well my feelings on it so I'm not talking out of school.
            Here's my reasoning.

1) The guys who designed this plane did so with a purpose. Based on how superb this plane flys and how well it handles on the ground, I can guarantee the designers would have made it into a tail dragger if it was better that way.

2) The trike versions wing sits slightly negative on the ground, allowing the plane to gain speed before rotating for liftoff. I fear the tail wheel version will leap into the air as soon as power is applied.
            If not, you will at least have to work hard to keep it on the ground.

3) There is a good deal of stress on the fuse of any tail dragger, this fuse with its huge elevator and huge dual rudders, will certainly be put to the test.

4) After all the flying now logged, the rudders are not super effective. I worry about this with a tail dragger.

After this weekends event, I now have logged 52 hours towing on my Bidule. ( yes FIFTY TWO )
            Here is a list of the small issues we have found.

1) Steering arm on the strut itself, Bob manufactured a thicker steel replacement for us.
            2) Steering shock absorption ( Working on a solution which will be easy to install and bulletproof ) Think Monster truck servo saver
            3) Main wheels split. Soft rubber. Replaced with Aeroworks Carbon Cub wheels
            4) Some support was added to the elevator Leading edge saddle area
            5) Tri Stock was added all around the cockpit area, wherever possible to increase gluing surface.
            6) Canopy frame ( removable portion) needs to be glued better.
            7) Canopy tabs that go into the fuse needed to be glued better, they popped off.
            8) Where the axle passed through the main landing gear will eventually wear from the hundreds of takeoff and landings, so the axles were oiled, then epoxied into with washers on both sides with JB weld

Flying this Bidule 170 has been some of the most enjoyable flying I have done. There are no bad habits, none, nodda, zilch. Its perfect.
            The power with a ZDZ 180 is stupid ridiculous. It will tow a 35lb Arcus near vertical. Then land and tow a 5lb foamie better than a Telemaster. Landing is a dream. I wouldn't even consider landing the plane without flaps. We tried a few and the extra room needed meant we had to turn around and taxi back to get the sailplane. With flaps you can land at your feet using a touch of power. Dive for the numbers, rotate into ground effect and flare with the nose held high.
            Love the plane, love the power and even love the nose wheel..

Now if we can work on the fuel consumption a bit. lol

By the end of the event in Vermont, at least 5 more planes were on order by various pilots.

Now, I hope Kris can prove me wrong on the taildragger issues!!!! I'm happy to eat crow.
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len,
              I can remember when we all had conversations regarding trike gear towplanes almost 2 years ago. We had questions regarding them but the fact that the Europeans were using this tug as much as they were kept us intrigued. I'm glad Bob was able to put together the initial order after I encountered resistance for single unit importing. Maybe Etienne will now see the light and stock these. If he doesn't I suspect someone else will.

I have done all the mods you and Bob have mentioned and developed my own steering system for the 111 size which, after the crash, has proven itself. I look forward to seeing what you come up with and I will certainly consider it if my system fails in the future and if yours proves itself and will fit the smaller size.

I agree with all of your observations regarding this model. They were the tipping points that I hoped would be present. Now, If I can just get the balance and elevator worked out and smooth the approach, I will be pretty much a happy camper.

Comment

Here are some shots of the damage after tear down.

Comment

Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 09-22-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I used 3/16" and 1/4" aircraft ply for the inlay. They are within a few thousandths of the thickness of the original firewall. I laminated them and cut the inlay to size and routed a matching rabbet.

Comment

Nice repair Asher.

len
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len. I added 2 layers of 4oz cloth to the front and backside of the repaired firewall to tie everything together. I also cut out a backer from .093 G-10 to take pressure of screws and washers and to transfer loads at the top of the inlay line. I cut out the front tray to gain access for glassing the firewall and to make it easier to install the bellcrank and nuts and washers for the nose gear screws.
                        Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 09-28-2015, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Here are some shots of the G-10 plate in place. I added basswood doublers under the side pieces and the tray lip that remained after removing the front tray. I made a new front tray from 3/16" ply and screwed it in place.

Comment

Looks better than new Asher!!!
                            Will it be ready for NARCA?
                            Pete

Comment

• Asher Carmichael
                              Asher Carmichael commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes Pete, everything is back together and ready to go. I hope you make it down, at least for a couple of days. Sounds like you've had a whirlwind week.

The repaired Bidule flew at the NARCA aerotow this weekend and I'm glad to report that everything went great! Here are a few pointers regarding setup and flight characteristics from my perspective and Chris Woodward's.

1. Keep the CG at the forward end of the range per the instructions. Extra stability in a towplane is a good thing and trying to squeeze any further performance by moving the CG aft doesn't seem worthwhile. I was at the central to rear point on the initial maiden and while the plane flew very well at speed, things got a little dicey on landing hence my faux pas at Clover Creek.

2. Put the full flap range in per the instructions and the recommended elevator compensation. It works well. You can land the 111 without flaps but it eats up runway very quickly. This thing has a very high glide ratio for a power plane and once it gets into ground effect..... Also, while the elevator travel may seem like a lot, you will be glad you have it. Add in about 30% expo.

3. Shoot for a 3-point landing rather than flairing. While flairing a little at the last moment can be effective, doing it too early or too much can get you into some nasty oscillations. Put in the flaps and compensation and just let the plane settle in for a three-pointer. The nose gear is more robust than you think.

4. Most everyone who towed with it agreed it is probably the easiest tow they ever had, well maybe except for the Drag Queen in my case. I think this is a very well designed towplane and should be considered if you are looking for a tug that is relatively robust. easy on the tow and simple to rig.
                            Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 10-05-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Glad you got it back together Asher and had a succesful relaunch! Sounds like you've got it all dialed in

Sorry I couldn't make it down to fly with you guys
                              Pete

Comment

Working...
                            X