• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow..

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

In 2015, I was new to aerotowing, but got hooked in a big way. I knew what I wanted though, I wanted a huge STOL bush plane that could also handle aerotowing. Gunny was also looking for a new towplane design. Around a campfire one night, I suggested a Cessna 185. Gunny was intrigued but eventually stalled on the project. I started sending him photos and videos nearly daily of 185s flying in the bush. He relented and finally got back to designing. The first time I flew the prototype, I was hooked, this was exactly what I wanted to fly. I flew the prototype a lot, but I knew I needed to build my own. So in the summer of 2021, I finally opened the box and got started. This was a bigger project than I had ever tackled. I repeatedly said "If mine flies half as good as Gunny's does, I'll be ecstatic. Well today I'm thrilled to report:

IT FLIES JUST AS GOOD AS GUNNY'S IF NOT BETTER.

I picked my dad up on the way to the Tri Rivers field where we assembled and checked over the airplane. I was nervous, but excited. The DA 150 fired right up and after a short taxi, it launched into the air. A couple clicks of trim and... it's fantastic. One flyby and I immedietley felt like I had flown it hundreds of times. Another fly by and I dropped the flaps to set the elevator mix. 3 point landing, just like I'd done with Gunny's. Roll it inverted... CG is spot on. I got another couple touch and goes and a stall turn in. After one pass, I rolled it into a knife edge turn, when I suddenly realized this was the maiden and I might want to take it easy. A couple more rolls, a few more touch and goes. Followed by a slick full stall landing. One more flight to test the MarkWinder. Also worked perfectly! I can't believe I built this thing, it's frickin awesome!

Pictures below, video is uploading.

Can't wait to put more time on it at Cumberland.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

YES!!! great video! Any hang up on the tail with the winder? My roundy bid dog elevators seem to catch the birdy sometimes. I now just slip it while coming down from a tow to keep the line off to the side... I fly my Bdog quite tail heavy and I think that causes the tail to fly a little high too maybe?

Comment

Working...
          X