No announcement yet.

Kevin K's Aviation Concepts Cessna 185 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished up around the landing gear block, assembled and installed the fuse bottom pieces.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Looking good, and you can see my reinforments for the floor where the winder mounts

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Got the cardboard tubes for the fin and stab cut and installed in the fuse. Glued on the rear top structure and started working on the top of the cockpit.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Built and added flare outs on the side of the fuse where the wing joins.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Started working on the top assembly and roof.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Got the wing tube and top of the cockpit installed, really starting to look like a 185 now.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Time for another modification for the winder. I talked with Gunny a couple times about where I was going to locate the hole in the fuse for the winder. I also wanted to preserve the stock tow release set up and location in case I ever had issues with the winder. I couldn't find a part anywhere that resembled what I wanted, so I went to Fusion 360 and my 3D printer. Here's the result. I still need to reinforce where I cut away the former, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Kevin, I fear you are going to wear through that rather quickly. My original Bidule, which has 4 years of winder now, definitely shows wear on the ALUMINIUM ring coming out the fuse. not enough to replace it, but it shows that the rope does wear there. I would suggest the rings that I provided or at least a material as hard as aluminum. Call me if you need!

[QUOTE=Sinkhappens86;n46609]Time for another modification for the winder. I talked with Gunny a couple times about where I was going to locate the hole in the fuse for the winder. I also wanted to preserve the stock tow release set up and location in case I ever had issues with the winder. I couldn't find a part anywhere that resembled what I wanted, so I went to Fusion 360 and my 3D printer. Here's the result. I still need to reinforce where I cut away the former, but I'm happy with how it turned out./QUOTE]
                    Last edited by MarkRobbins; 12-20-2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Sinkhappens86
                      Sinkhappens86 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Talked with Mark and he got me sorted out with the aluminum pieces, will be going with those for the winder exit!

Got the fuse corners glued on.

Ok, on to the next steps, let's see what it is...

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Confession time, I didn't even own a razor plane when I built the Skylark, I got one for Christmas after I had finished it. And in case you couldn't tell from the last post, I really hate sanding and shaping. So I finally opened up the razor plane and got to work, first step was to plane the corners flush. Holy crap that was easy!

Now for the really scary part, sanding and shaping it to a nice curve. I'll be honest, this is the part that most intimidated me about this build. I talked with Gunny and Len about technique and dove in head first. Here's the result:

Still needs some work, but it's already way better than I hoped for! A big thanks to Gunny and Len for their help! Mostly over this hurdle!
                      Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• MarnochS
                        MarnochS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Excellent - - the razor plane sure beats the extended "shoeshine" task , plus there's a lot of fun curlicue balsa pieces at the end.....that are easily sweep-able

• stevekremer
                        stevekremer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice Job Kevin. Looks very nice. The right tool makes all the difference!

Used the cowl to make some templates and shape the lower front corners of the fuse.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

looks great are you going to cover it with stits lite and paint it.. sure is big may as well be tough and last a long time in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by horsefeetky View Post
                          looks great are you going to cover it with stits lite and paint it.. sure is big may as well be tough and last a long time in the sun.
                          Nope planning on just a lot of Ultracote. Worked great on Gunny and Lens.
                          Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Landing gear mounted, cover installed and sanded

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• stevekremer
                              stevekremer commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Looks Nice!
                          Working...