Foxbat ~ Nostalgia Class RES Sailplane by Peter Goldsmith Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxbat ~ Nostalgia Class RES Sailplane by Peter Goldsmith Designs

For the last two years, we have been busy building the scale sailplane and tow plane kits that Peter Goldsmith offers on his website:

PGDesigns is an American company that designs, manufactures and distributes model airplane kits. The company was born out of one man’s great desire to encourage building as a valued aspect of the RC community. ​

Having built all of the scale models, we decided to have some fun with something non-scale and built the Sapphire (see our build thread).

Then we got to thinking about the "good old days" in the late 1970's into the 1980's. The fun we had with simple sailplanes like the Gentle Lady and the Olympic II...so it seemed that we should revisit that era (sort of). We ordered Peter's Opal and Foxbat kits to work on in-between the scale builds.

First up was the Foxbat. Here is Peter's description of this plane:

Wingspan: 3.6m, 143"Length: 1565mm, 61.5"Weight: 1.6g, 54ozAirfoil: E1933 ch: Rudder, Elevator, SpoilerElectric option included The Foxbat design comes from Pete's youth. Yes at a very young age Pete was designing models. The Foxbat was designed originally in 1979 where it was campaigned on the competition circuit. It’s classic aspect ratio coupled with light wing loading makes it a wonderful Sailplane to fly. The kit is a fully authentic version of the original design, no compromise has been made to ensure its classic retro shape. If your into nostalgic competition you can’t look past the Foxbat. It’s very competitive with several National championships against its name. Super easy to build and can be flown as a electric or pure Sailplane. Although the Foxbat has a large wingspan, the wing disassembles into 3 pieces allowing it to fit in most vehicles with ease.. Kit includes all laser cut wood parts, all wood stock and skins for wings. Also included is a full size plan, electric motor install components and basic hardware for completion.Completion Items: Rud/Elev 2 x SPMSA5060Spoiler 2 x SPMSA7020Receiver SPMAR9030T Flight pack SPMB1450LFRX

After working on the kit off and on over the last year, we finished it on Saturday! Ours came in at 56 ounces ready to fly (required 8 oz. of nose weight to balance). Covering is UltraCote White and Transparent Blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Foxbat 1.JPG
Views:	3299
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	40802

Name:	Foxbat.jpg
Views:	3210
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	40803

A Site for Soar Eyes

Wow Jim! Looks good!
    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

your covering skill are amazing jim..

i may have to give a saphire a try myself. i have a vista grande with power that is similar in flight to the foxbat. flew it last week cut motor at 400 feet and in 30 seconds i was at 959 feet it is a great entry powered glider at a great price from tower at 169.00 with motor and esc uses 4s2200-3300 pack

im spending much time still working but i do have a few micro gliders to buid using the umx brick for rx. i have a micro gentle lady and a micro sinbad may put tiny power pod on them also.

Comment

[QUOTE=horsefeetky;n40817]your covering skill are amazing jim..

(i may have to give a saphire a try myself. i have a vista grande with power that is similar in flight to the foxbat. flew it last week cut motor at 400 feet and in 30 seconds i was at 959 feet it is a great entry powered glider at a great price from tower at 169.00 with motor and esc uses 4s2200-3300 pack)

I agree Jim's covering skill is amazing. I figure if I live 3 more life times and practice daily I'll come close to matching his skill.

Now Horsefeetky, you mean you got to cut the motor at 399.5 and in 30 seconds you made it to 399.959 feet;-) Right?

I'm going flying NOW!

Mark

Comment

Covering secrets revealed...
          • Sharp #11 blades/knife
          • Quality metal straight edge(s)
          • Sharpie marker (extra fine point)
          • Isopropyl alcohol (to remove sharpie marks)
          • Deluxe Materials Cover Grip
          • Covering iron with sock
          • Covering trim seal iron
          • Quality cutting mat

Name:	IMG_3107.jpg
Views:	1688
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	40822

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Yes Jim I have all those tools. The most important tool is ability to use those tools in an artistic fashion. My brain doesn't have those parts. (Or they are very weak.) Just ask my high school art teacher. She said I should become proficient with a chain saw.

Just got back from the field I turned off the motor at 399.5 feet and started looking for sink and popped the spoilers at way above 399.959;-)

I love it!

Mark

Comment

It's a real beauty!
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Jim, I have never heard of Cover Grip before. I see it is used to help adhere covering to balsa,etc. Can you share how you use it when covering a model like the Foxbat?
                Larry

Comment

Cover Grip is avaiable from Horizon Hobby or any of its dealer network. It is water base with water cleanup and has no strong hazordous odor.

I thin it with a little water to the consistency of skim milk, then paint it on using a very small brush (1/4" wide Testors brush works great). A little bit goes a long way and it applies very quickly. It is applied around the perimeter of the area to be covered. The point is two fold, first to seal the wood surface and second to form a stronger bond between the wood surface and the covering adhesive. Let it dry completely and very lightly sand to remove wood fiber stubble that sticks out.

The adhesive back on Ultracote will stay "sticky" for some time after heat is removed. This is both good and bad. The good is the ability to move the covering slightly by dragging the covering iron over it. This helps remove wrinkles and puckers. The bad is unwanted edge movement can occur allowing the covering to sag and develop edge lift. Cover Grip helps make a stronger bond that keeps the edges stuck tight while the body of covering is heated to shrink it.

It seems to help minimize changes in covering going from cold to hot and back as seasons change. Covering seems to stay put and stay tight. Hope this helps.
                  A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

After weeks of cold, wet, or windy weather, we finally got the perfect maiden flight conditions. The Foxbat was launched using a high-start and, like all of the other PGD kits I've built, flew straight and true on the launch. Flight was stable and predictable and landing was light as a feather. Another successful kit build completed!

Name:	IMG_506.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	41182

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Another fine model from Dr. Jim 'BM' Dolly! (BM = Building Machine)

Many congratulate again Jim, looks great! Looking forward to seeing it fly first hand in July!

Matt

Comment

Really looks nice Jim.
                      Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Wow, that's really beautiful! Good job...
                        Gunny
                        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
                        X