Horizon Hobby AeroTow 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizon Hobby AeroTow 2018

As a likely first time attendee to this event what's the best place to stay, what are the commercial dining options and is there anything particularly interesting for wives to do besides hanging out with the guys at the airfield all day.

Bryan B asks a good question. With the constraints that kept me close to home for many years resolved, I'd like to attend this year. So that info would be helpful to me too.

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      There is always the Goldsmith Art Gallery!

Guys,
    There is a Best Western in Monticello that is pretty nice. About half the attendees usually stay there and the rest are dispersed to places in Champaign which is about 20 miles away. There is also a small locally owned motel in Monticello but the name escapes me. Some like it as well.

Comment

• jfrickie
      jfrickie commented
      Editing a comment
      Its the Foster Inn Asher....already have my reservation there.

• Asher Carmichael
      Asher Carmichael commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jim. Hoping to see you there.

If you call Fosters, or if you think that your reservations at Fosters are made, please check again as the owner Peter appears to have moved some of his operation to Champaign. I have called him to make sure that our reservations are secure and Peter is not the easiest to understand on the phone. I think his family might have stayed back to run Fosters but he himself might not be there. Just a good idea to double check on your booking. Some of our group have made reservations elsewhere just to make sure that they are not homeless during the week.

I have stayed no where else but there since my first trip to JR/Horizon and like how close it is to the field and to local restaurants. The rooms are basic and cheap, and you can park your vehicle right outside your door. And,Kevin K always hosts an awesome after flying party where everyone is welcome to his room! Stay as late as you want too, he doesn't need the sleep!

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      That Kevin is a wild party animal! Ask Tim... he knows!

I just noticed on Horizon's website they state the AeroTow will be at Eli Field? I'm guessing this is a typo?

Comment

• Mosquito
      Mosquito commented
      Editing a comment
      I would ask Len directly. That would change this quite a bit as I think the nostalgia of the upcoming event is that it's the last year at the current location.

Drove out to Monticello yesterday to pick up Smellyak, Swallow, and 1-26 kits for delivery at Cumberland this month. So...I am sitting in Peter G's living room as this is being typed and he assures me that all arrangements have been made with the Piatt County Airport (the exact same location where the event has been held the last 16 years) manager ( who is excited to have the group back for this event!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2583.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	23897
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Yes we are definitely back at the usual location (Piatt County Airport) this year. New MMM club president Pete Holey is the CD and the event sanction has been submitted. We're looking forward to a great event and seeing everybody here for some great flying!

Craig

Comment

The event sanction has been approved, ads in Model Aviation magazine are scheduled, and the Monticello Aviation hangar is available for overnight model storage. Should have the event flyer up today.
        Last edited by CRG; 03-14-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Good news that we get to use the Hangar again Craig

Jeremy
          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Event flyer attached. And here is a link to the event page with registration: http://peterholey.wixsite.com/mysite...orizon-aerotow

Note that Ali will be doing roaming check in and registration on-field during the event. Just track him down and he'll take care of you.

Craig
            Attached Files

Comment

Hope you guys have great weather, this will be only the second Horizon Aerotow that I have missed ... unable to reschedule some long-postponed surgery ... I'll be thinking of big sailplanes and bigger thermals all that week! Back in 2019 ...

Comment

Best of luck Tom
                we'll miss you for sure
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Is tent camping allowed at the field in Monticello?

Dan

Comment

I understand it is not allowed. It's best to contact the Monticello Modelers club for verification.

Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I contacted Pete Holey and he said that tent and light RV camping is allowed at the field, but there are no electrical or sewer hookups. No fees for camping. Hope this helps. See you all there. This will be my first Horizon Aerotow, and I am really looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X