Aluma trailer for transporting large sailplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluma trailer for transporting large sailplanes

I am considering buying a new Aluma trailer to transport sailplanes. The model is an Aluma 548. The bed size is 54 inches by 96 inches and the overall trailer size is 75.5 inches wide and 145 inches long. I will fit in my garage. Drive out price is $2,100.00
    I would build a plywood box to secure the planes to the trailer.

I was considering buying a bolt together Northern tool trailer but figured once I did all of the upgrades, better tires, upgraded wheel bearings, upgraded suspension, Crank to lift it off the ball, etc., I would be nearing the price of the Aluma.
    Any one here have any experience with Aluma trailers?

I have built a harbor freight trailer and a plywood box, I have not been able to seal it well.

for the price you could probably have a nice enclosed trailer.

not discouraging you, but making a sealed plywood box is not an easy task....

I am now using the plywood to hang my tools in my basement....

best luck with the build

stephane
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

My first trailer was pretty small, I was limited by my tow vehicle at the time. 2100 is nearly what I paid for my enclosed trailer.

I've been debating on how to haul my airplanes without relying on my Dad's Suburban for a while now. I think I've settled on getting a trailer that I can haul

You could get something like this, a little more than you're thinking of spending now, but a lot less work.

Get the best prices on new & used trailers at Trailer Superstore. We're a one-stop shop for all your trailer needs! Delivery and financing available.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Look to purchase a torsion suspension. My trailer bounces around more then I like as it's NOT a torsion system. I arrive at events wondering what the contents of my trailer will look like from the bouncing when I open the doors. Some states have better quality roads than others. Just my 2 pennies.

Tim

Comment

Anybody using snowmobile trailers for transporting gliders?

Comment

• Steve P
            Steve P commented
            Editing a comment
            Seen it done.

Hoot -- if storing the trailer is the core issue perhaps it's best for now just to spend as you go and rent a small box trailer from U-Haul for the events you travel to each year? They offer multiple sizes. You won't build any equity, but you don't have to deal with it the rest of the year.

+1 to some of the other comments here -- those who have tried to build boxes had water issues while do not underestimate the ability of a lightweight trailer to bounce like bloody hell. The Torflex axles are fantastic.

YMMV
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I have decided to by a five foot by ten foot enclosed trailer. Unfortunately I can't find one in the Houston TX. They are flying off of the dealers lots !

Comment

just order one up and you will be next inline

Comment

I thought about renting an enclosed trailer from Uhaul but whenever I called them in the past, they were out of trailers. I even tried calling two or three other uhaul near me.
                I thiink buying a trailer is the way to go.
                Last edited by Hoot; 04-12-2021, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X