• lenb
    replied
    NICE !!!!!

The pressure got to you. lol

Looking forward to seeing more

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    replied
    I couldn't sit out any longer... I've ordered a kit from Marc's Laser Shop for the Chris Williams designed 1:3.5 Slingsby Sedbergh T21b. I've had the plans for a few years now.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Thanks TJ! Charlotte is pretty much ready to fly even though a few details need to be added. I hope you can get time to build a scale sailplane for aerotow. Man... it is really fun!

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    replied
    Wow! What a beautifully different bird! Your skills and craftsmanship are amazing! I hope your maiden flight is nothing but pleasure! (And I hope someone gets video to share with us who can't be there to witness it in person)

I've taken almost a 2 year break from any R/C building and very little actual flying in that time, but my 97 year old "adopted" Grandpa keeps fussing at me to get back in the game... He's not as impressed with my model rocket fetish lately. I admit, your amazing builds, and a few others I follow on various R/C websites, really make me want to get back to building.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Winamac! Worked on the fuselage blisters this morning.

Leave a comment:

• lenb
    replied
    Nope!!!!!
    Indiana

Leave a comment:

• Mosquito
    replied
    Have her ready to fly Michael at Sled!

Leave a comment:

• blake
    replied
    Michael,

Wonderful stuff!
    I'm enjoying going back over your build thread.....

Blake

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    The wings have two hatches(?) on their undersurface. 1/64" ply used to represent them. They were affixed with epoxy. The masking tape was used for alignment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2151.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	18012Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	18013

The venturi, coaming, headrest(?) and rudder bar fuselage blisters are all that is left to do.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    On Charlotte a barometer was used as a sort of altimeter. This was mounted on the decking forward of the cockpit. I have no idea why there is a venturi. Maybe the 'barometer' really is an altimeter and there was 'something lost in translation'. I have no dimensions of the instrument and winged it. It doesn't quite look like the photos but I'm happy with it! Any way, I printed a barometer face and used it in my little gauge. The gauge was made from rolled lithoplate. Balsa scrap was epoxied into the lithoplate tube which also had epoxy smeared inside to hold it together in a round shape. A hole was cut and sanded into sheet lithoplate then this was cut to fit the tube. Scrap plastic cut to fit as a lens behind the cover. The bottom was cut from sheet lithoplate and epoxied. This was then filed to shape. The filed edges almost look like welds or soldering! A mild steel sheet bracket was formed and epoxied in place. The assembly was then epoxied to the fuselage.

Name:	IMG_2148.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	18006Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	18007

Name:	IMG_2150.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	18008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	18009

Name:	IMG_2154.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	18010

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Bill, thanks for the compliment! I really do appreciate y'all checking in here! I really need to plan making weight boxes in the early phase of the builds. It sure would save time in future. Paper patterns were made of the inside of the nose area in order to build boxes to pour lead. One largish floor lead slug was made and a few rectangular slugs were made for the nose. The nose weights were drilled to fit the mount. The nose weights vary in mass. They can be changed to adjust the c.g. A bracket was made that attaches behind nose weights, goes over floor weight and keys into an aft former the floor weight abuts. That floor weight is a tight fit but it would be sheer disaster if it got loose! I couldn't get pics of the installed weight. You can see the tin container used to melt lead. There is a balsa paddle used to skim crud off the surface of the molten lead. A 'blue wrench' torch was used to heat the lead.

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	18000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2144.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	18002

Name:	IMG_2143.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	18001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2147.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	18004

Name:	IMG_2146.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	18003

Leave a comment:

• BStaley
    replied
    Very nice! My electric tow plane will pull it and I have a dolly-bring it to Fla. and we can fly it here! Or maybe we could meet half-way-where would that be? Just kidding, but all else aside it really is a great looking plane! Bill

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Blake, that is a good idea! My friend, Dion, asked the wing loading which is ~14 oz/sq.ft so it should come up on tow pretty quick. However, a dolly would help in case the controls are sluggish.

I made some different forms in which to pour lead. Hopefully some pics will get posted tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• blake
    replied
    Michael,

How about using a take off dolly for the first couple of flights?
    Keep the wingtips up off the ground.....

Just a thought, as I wouldn't want all that hard work to get damaged.

Blake

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Jason, thanks much! Your MS will be pretty neat and you don't see those every day!

Mike, thanks. You are the flying wing man! The maiden is gonna be at the Winamac, IN aerotow. Did you get that wing rod fixed? You gotta school us again with your Genesis how to make landing approach, get down to a few meters altitude, hit a bubble then fly away and spec out like you did last year at Sled Works!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X