• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_4019resize.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	4509
    I didn't get any photos of the frame being glued to the clear plastic but it was done in the typical way, lots of tape
    and canopy glue. And in the typical way it deformed the frame a bit. I had to do some cutting and fitting of the airframe
    to fit the canopy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_4021resize.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	4510
    I used sign making transfer tape and a pencil to make a pattern of the scallops, I then stuck this to the vinyl and
    cut the mask by hand.

Name:	640IMG_4022resize.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	4511
    Here the fuselage is masked off for the white trim paint. The blue lettering has already been painted. After the white
    was painted all masking except the canopies was removed and the clear coat was sprayed on. I tried using the
    transfer tape for masking and it worked great. It's cheap and comes in big rolls.

Name:	640IMG_4025resize.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	4513
    The fuselage is done.

Name:	640IMG_4027resize.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	4514
    All the little parts getting their white.

Name:	640IMG_4028resize.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	4515
    All together for the first time after painting.

Name:	640IMG_4084resize.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	4516
    Rudder pull-pull cable.

Name:	640IMG_4085resize.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	4517
    The battery tray with two 5 cell AA packs and 5 oz of final nose weight. The all up weight is 8 lbs.

Name:	640IMG_4087resize.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	4518
    The cockpit looking aft. Note the canopy magnets. The false floor is velcroed in with the Rx underneath. The bare
    Velcro to the right of the servos is where the vario goes. At some point I will cover the servos with a seat and pilot
    and put an instrument panel in the canopy.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	640IMG_4088resize.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	4520
      Finished canopy.

Name:	640N72DG_37resize.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	4521
      Full scale canopy.

Well that just about wraps this build up. Feel free to post any questions or comments. I want to thank Dave Smith for all his help on this project. He had already done a lot of research on Dean's plane and shared it all with me. He kept me straight at some crucial points in the build and it would not have turned out so nice if he hadn't. Thanks again Dave!!!! I also want to thank Dean for such a superb subject to model and for his input on the project. It was a privilege having them subscribed and everyone else who followed along and offered encouragement. Thanks everyone!!!

I will be following up with some flight reports.

Comment

• Dave Smith
        Dave Smith commented
        Editing a comment
        Art, so pleased to be able to help and see the spectacular results you delivered!

• Glad it turned out the way you wanted it, including an uneventful first tow

Jeremy and Ben
      SCCAAA TT TN
      Last edited by Swiss1; 10-09-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• ingrahal
        ingrahal commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes you and the Porter did an excellent job!!! Thank you very much!!!

• Congrats Art! Very inspirational build.

Petr

Comment

• ingrahal
        ingrahal commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Petr!!!

• Art, I have to share something rather humorous. I started my 1/4 scale build of the Cherokee and have been taking pictures along the way. I may or may not do a build log somewhere.....but, I decided to look back through your build log to see how you did a couple of things and realized that I took many of the same pictures as you from the exact same angles! Now, if I can get mine to turn out as nicely as yours, I'll declare victory!

Comment

• Looking good so far. Nice and straight. There are a limited number of angles from which to shoot photos. Makes sense that a lot of ours would be the same. I like to try to capture the unique geometry of the airframe. Turn off the flash and catch the repetitious shadows of formers and ribs. If you don't want to do a build log feel free to post your progress here. If you do one post a link.

Comment

• I've decided to do a build log over on the UK site. They needed a Cherokee over there too.

I'll update here at major milestones.

Comment

• Another great build of Dean Gradwell's Cherokee going on over here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ee-Build-N72DG

Serious scale detail happening on this one.

DS

Comment

• Thanks for the heads up Dave.
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Art, next time we meet we can off-load photos of maiden at Clover Creek 2016 from SIM card to your laptop. I haven't forgotten you'd like photos of your Cherokee flying. I can send pics to you but the pixel density will be pretty low because my ISP is terrible and won't allow bigger ones to be sent.

Comment

• I might have some pictures too from Clover Creek 2016. I will check.

Tim

Comment

• Dave, thanks I will be subcribed to that one for sure!!!

Michael, thanks, any and all pics will be appreciated. Especially ones of Larry's 1-26b. I would like to get one framed for him. I will be glad to cover any costs if you want to mail them on ad sd card.

Comment

• Tim, thanks, anything you have would be appreciated.

Comment

• Art. PM your addy then I can send the card to you. Then you can send it back when finished. I know there are probably easier ways but I am pretty stupid when it comes to 'tech' stuff and my ISP won't allow me to send the pictures at their current pixel density anyway.

Comment

• ingrahal
                          ingrahal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That works for me.

• I got your addy. The SD card will go in the mail tomorrow. I'll stick it in a plastic baggie then wrap it in aluminum foil, too, before putting it in a bubble envelope!

Comment

• ingrahal
                          ingrahal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Awesome!!!!!
                      Working...
                      X