No announcement yet.

Valenta Salto + Mig Flight JETEC EDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hope you get the last items needed and it makes a trip to winamc............if not cumberland will be soon..... and btw im packing some shotgun wedding beer again..........

Comment

No Winamac for me. I'll be flying the Eastern Soaring League contest on Long Island this coming weekend. Cumberland is next.

After some yard work I fiddled around a bit, painted the bulkhead black and remounted the EDF.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	44961

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	44962
      Last edited by Steve P; 07-29-2021, 01:05 PM.
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Looks like I may have a nice location option for the ESC, making all the wire runs short. I made up some leads (at least one end until final length is known) and the tow release setup so that the last pieces are ready for when the Pioneer arrives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	44966

Name:	
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	44964

Name:	
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	44965
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

see you at cumberland and as a note the two edf units les powell has installed in his giant gliders both have a skinny tray/shelf as part of the up and down mech that has the esc zipped tied to it so it is in the airflow for cooling when in use. seems to work well and keeps from adding extensions for the motor leads.

good luck at the contest
          cheers

Comment

All the bits are finally here. PowerBox Pioneer, two 26D receivers, battery leads and even a vario (what the heck). A lot to squeeze into a small area under the seat pan given the 10S battery setup. I had to go with two thin long 7.4V LiPo packs for RX instead of my PowerBox PowerPaks I swap into their snap mounts from plane to plane...

Name:	
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	45013

Comment

The PowerBox Pioneer is a damn fine piece of equipment! I now have several in use. In this case, making a nearly impossibly tight fit area work. PB for the win!

Name:	
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	45033

Comment

Flight report -- The maiden of the "new" set-up was at Cumberland Summer Soar. It went perfectly. The new weight configuration had the CG a bit too far forward, but that was an easy thing to just shift the two flight packs back a bit on the second flight.

I put 6 flights on the Salto each with multiple climbs, some fast power-on passes and a bit of twisting stupidity (Bert got some footage of all that and I think Jeff got some flight photos TBA). Power is very good, but not a rocket. I can get 5 30 second climbs and a tiny bit of reserve if needed in the landing approach. Each flight pulled the packs each down to 22%.

If I hit full throttle the nose dips down. Bring it on slowly and response is much better. The V-tail ruddervators are not noticeably more sensitive with power. I put in a throttle to elevator mix that also helps on startup. I surprised the tow pilot on one flight by getting a foot off the ground at speed, releasing and hitting the gas. Surprise!

All in all, a worthwhile project. The Salto handles the added weight just fine and utilizes the energy well. At home, with a simple bungee to get it rolling in the grass, I should be able to fly at the local field (I already added provision for a tow hook in front of the wheel well).

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	275.6 KB ID:	45404

Comment

Steve,
                  This is a beautiful EDF installation and thanks for the final flight report. Having installed a few of these over the years I know it's not an easy task. You did a professional-quality installation on your first try! I'm especially impressed with the curved cut on the EDF door. Not easy to do. No room for error either. The Salto seems like perfect glider for this setup. It was nice to watch it fly at Cumberland. I will consider putting a rear bulkhead to stop airflow in my ASG 29

Comment

• Steve P
                    Steve P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks so much Pete. It was a rewarding project. EDF and FES are fantastic options. We’ve come quite a ways from the days some criticized me for “ruining” my Orfa ASW22 with a motor in the nose to today. It’s all about fun and flying.
                Working...
                X