folding prop motor suggestions for hempel ka6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folding prop motor suggestions for hempel ka6

so knowing i will need much weight in the nose to balance what is your suggestions for a 12s power supplied motor and folding prop combo. here is what i know so far.
    it is hard to find folding blades over 20"
    the nose is short and fat so it will require a wide prop hub so folding can clear the sides.
    i might need a linger single bolt prop shaft if the motor doesnt come with such.. small cnc parts can make that if needed.
    this will be for flight after tow up not needed for rog so ground clearance is not an issue.

any input welcome please....

thanks in advance
    joe

Why? The Ka-6 towed to 1500’ on even a no thermal day will return a 15-20mintue flight........they just float and float and float forever.
    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

i hate dead weight and if i need a go around i have the power to do so. i fly at some tight landing areas and yes i know it will float that is my biggest concern when landing where i have in mind. also should the power be enough i might consider rog with my larger dolly with 5 inch wheels that is a third larger than those offered by retail sellers. i had it made on cnc wood cutter from pattern i designed.

Comment

Are you still looking for ideas on how to power this?
        Bruce

Comment

i am i found torcman removable prop and shaft systems but it is very costly and not sure i need that fancy feature. but for sure want to use 12s and turn around a 20 inch prop. what can you suggest. i am in process of putting in servos now. wing is done and not much left until power system is needed. i have an castle hv160 with fan esc ready to use and will carry dual rx packs for the power safe rx.

Comment

Hi Joe,

A nice thing about the Torcman FES-Ex system is the propeller simply releases (pushbutton on shaft end) from the nose when you want to aerotow. We have several of the FES sytems flying in California and more coming. Torcman offer a 10s or 12s setup with 20x13 folder for this size sailplane. You need a tow release mounted below the nose then, but that is easily done with a reinforced slot, some nyrod, and a piece of heavy music wire or control rod (aka Multiplex style), or you can get fancy and use one of the new Schambeck low-profile belly mount tow release with integrated servo developed for GPS Triangle sailplane using FES motors. The challenge with the Ka-6 is the big nose radius. The largest prop adapter yoke I know of is a 2-blade 50mm from Torcman - that might be enough for the Ka-6, but you would need to mock it up and check the 20" blade folding against the fuselage to see if it is to your liking. I think the blades will naturally fold against the sides as they are narrower than the top/bottom. Typical USA price for this setup is $700.00 for motor, mounting frames, front bearing, yoke and prop. Email me if you are interested: ohmktg413@gmail.com or call 408-921-1900.

Bruce DeVisser

Comment

Working...
            X