ChocoFly 1:3 ASW-17S 7M GPS Racer now in stock in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChocoFly 1:3 ASW-17S 7M GPS Racer now in stock in USA

I have received the first shipment of the latest 7-meter ChocoFly ASW-17S GPS Racers, This model is the 2019 World Champion model in GPS Triangle Racing, and the winningest model on the Euro Tour in 2018/2019. It is known for it's combination of ease-of-flying, outstanding thermal performance, and ability to go fast. This is intended for the 1:3 Scale and SLS GPS triangle classes, and is based on the 21m ASW-17S.

These are fully-molded, mostly Carbon models, white gel-coated, canopy mounted with release mechanism, removable plastic tray, instrument panel, fully hinged surfaces, retract with brake installed, separately-molded doors hinged and torsion spring-loaded, separate wing and elevator servo covers color-matched to contrasting underside color (Red or Anthracite); removable Rudder/Fin assembly means 92-inch fuselage for transport. Wing is 4-section, 8 servos (2 ailerons, 2 flaps, no spoilers), elevator 2-servos, rudder servo installs in the fin base above the tailwheel. Wing and fuselage bags included.

Models have Dark Grey or Red flying surface undersides. Removable Rudder/Fin assembly means 92-inch fuselage for transport.

Options available: full set of flying surface IDS frames/links/horns for ChocoMotion/MKS/KST recommended servos; full set of ChocoMotion FOX servos (equal to KST/MKS) 10% off with model; Torcman or Leomotion FES systems with removable white propeller; Schambeck belly mount tow release (fits under FES system).

Link to manufacturer website and photos: https://www.chocofly.com/asw/

An example of a build in photos: https://www.cmsmodell.ch/gallery-mod...-17-fes-7-00m/

The wing is molded with 160g and 120g Carbon, Herex and spreadtow in the Carbon D-box. The fuselage is molded with 160g Carbon from the wing mounting area to the tail, and fiberglass nose for radio compatibility. Flying weight is 13.5kg to 20kg (max GPS wing loading allowed) depending on equipment. Full setup data is available.

These models are high-end, high-finish, high-performance beauties, so no bargain on price - they are $6250, full bags included. Set of 10 IDS kits $345. FES systems from $525. Schambeck self-contained belly mount tow release (with servo) $125. All in stock in California. I have a wooden shipping box available too.

Contact me for specifics at: ohmktg413@gmail.com

Bruce DeVisser
    Rosenthal Models USA
    +1-408-921-1900 voice/text

Click image for larger version  Name:	ASW-17s 2.jpg Views:	162 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	38805 Click image for larger version  Name:	ASW-17s 4.jpg Views:	147 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	38806 Click image for larger version  Name:	ASW-17s 1.jpg Views:	147 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	38807 Click image for larger version  Name:	ASW-17s 3.jpg Views:	155 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	38808 Click image for larger version  Name:	ASW-17s 5.jpg Views:	150 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	38809
    Last edited by Scalesoaring; 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM.

looks great...can't wait to see it in action at flying site soon! thanks for posting

Matt

Comment

Just wanted to give an update - these two beauties are now being assembled for use this season - they will be flying in California this Spring, and are planned to be at the Muncie June Aerotow. Both ships have the Torcman FES Systems with "pluggable" propeller, and the Schambeck belly mount tow release that fits under the FES System.

Watch this space for more updates.

Comment

Bruce,

Do you have any details on the IDS system/control linkages they are selling for this model? Wondering if there is any suitability for them to be installed in other air frames. Pictures, dimensions, what airfoils are they designed for and pictures of their installation?

Comment

Originally posted by Stew2 View Post
          Bruce,

Do you have any details on the IDS system/control linkages they are selling for this model? Wondering if there is any suitability for them to be installed in other air frames. Pictures, dimensions, what airfoils are they designed for and pictures of their installation?
          Hi Stew,

IDS are great for molded flying surfaces, especially thin ones - they require a stiff mounting area and no-slop surface hinging to function properly. The IDS servo frames are designed for each servo model, so if you pick a servo like an MKS6130 (or equivalent) for your elevators (as an example) the matching IDS frame set should adapt to that type installation - they typically include a range of actuator arm lengths and servo arms. Below is an example from the ASW-17S kit.

There are several makers of IDS frames - Servorahmen in Germany (AFAIK) is the original. http://servorahmen.de/

For more info I suggest you check Aloft Hobbies website - they have an excellent Servorahmen video on installation with English text. Watch it all the way through as there are several helpful hints and tips!

Aloft Hobbies offers top quality RC aircraft and radio gear with very reasonable pricing, fast shipping, and full service to backup our products. We are very loyal to our customers!

Click image for larger version  Name:	idstypmks6130mono.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	40111

Comment

• Stew2
            Stew2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Is there any concern in using the IDS hardware that is designed for much lighter air frames on the larger scale ships? The control surfaces on our scale ships are much heavier than the F3x stuff and consequently will be much more prone to flutter since they are further statically unbalanced. Heavier surfaces will put higher loads on the IDS hardware. Is there experience here or in Europe with this IDS hardware being used on large scale ships?

• tewatson
            tewatson commented
            Editing a comment
            For additional information on the IDS components, see post #23 here: https://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum...3150#post43150

The tail arrangement is genius.
          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stew2 View Post
            Is there any concern in using the IDS hardware that is designed for much lighter air frames on the larger scale ships? The control surfaces on our scale ships are much heavier than the F3x stuff and consequently will be much more prone to flutter since they are further statically unbalanced. Heavier surfaces will put higher loads on the IDS hardware. Is there experience here or in Europe with this IDS hardware being used on large scale ships?
            Hi Stew,

Apologies for delayed reply - I missed the notification. I'm not sure why you think the IDS is designed specifically for lighter airframes. Usage is determined by the servo power, control surface area, servo to surface linkage, and surface loading (main factor is airspeed). Using the 6130 elevator example, the same servo and frame may be used in a lighter, smaller TD model wing, but in the example only half of the elevator is using the same system. The IDS linkage is typically quite robust, often Carbon parts, the tolerances are very tight, the servo frames must be properly bonded to the surfaces, and control horns securely bonded to the control surface. There are many plastic frame IDS systems that would not work as well in the larger airframes.

IDS is being used in many GPS Triangle models, which are 4 meters/7kg up to 7m/20kg. There is a speed task for these events and they regularly get over 100 mph, although on-course speed is about less than half that. I don't know the extent of their usage in purely Scale ships as crossover linkage is typically easier to install and less costly, although some are doing it for scale appearance. Unless you are doing non-scale aerobatics or high-speed flying I think the IDS would work well, but you do need to consider all factors when choosing each servo system

Strangely enough the latest full-scale glider designs are embracing top-hinged wing linkage with obvious bumps - turns out the air on top at the rear of the wing is less affected by protuberances than the bottom. So you would need to use crossover linkage in a model to be scale, like our new AS33 1:2-scale 9m model.

YMMV.
            Bruce DeVisser

Comment

Hi Bruce. Thanks so much.

For me, personally, where I thought this was going was not about the value of IDS as many of us are flying with that configuration, rather the ones pictured above are more typical (same) of what I am flying in my F3J and F5J Aspires and similar planes (servorahamen sourced and such).

Meanwhile, for example, my significantly larger, vastly heavier and way way faster Baudis Antares has significantly more robust and larger aluminum IDS as stock. For me I am convinced as to the value and utility of IDS, rather my interest is the composition and size of the components in use over the long haul or in an extreme situation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	doublelds-15173082480phpwpoqkx (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	40341
              Last edited by Steve P; 03-18-2020, 12:44 PM. Reason: Swiped and added a photo of the Baudis IDS
              Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                I just received my 7m ChocoFly ASW-17s from the builder (Rick Shelby) with all ChocoiMotion servos and IDS servo mounts (except the Rudder). The FES is a Torcman NT530-45. I have a Schambeck belly-mount tow release which fits under the FES System. The horns are all internal to the control surfaces with the Servorahmen carbon frames and rods. Rick said there were some challenges, and he would prefer the Baudis-style IDS components, but they are made to fit their models. In any case the installation is clean and tight. I'm using a Jeti DS-24 with Central Box 400 and dual Jeti Rx batteries, Raven and Snipe. I will look at using the Jeti for Albatross also.
                Bruce DeVisser

Comment

Getting ready for the maiden this week, mounting the radio, GPS and batteries. Being used to building electric gliders that are always electric I proceeded to place the motor batteries in the front for balance. Things worked out swimmingly. Then it occurred to me that I might want to fly without the batteries onboard. A quick call with Rick had me wiping the stupid off my forehead - motor batteries in dual-purpose GPS sailplanes serve dual purposes - power the model for SLS Class, and provide optional ballast for 1:3 Scale Class - the 17 can do both classes. So they are now mounted under the wingrod at the CG.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Balance Stand.jpg
Views:	1598
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	41333 Click image for larger version

Name:	Where the batteries belong - Copy.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	41339 Click image for larger version

Name:	Torcman plug-in prop holder - Copy.jpeg
Views:	1617
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	41335 Click image for larger version

Name:	Inevitable - nose weight - Copy.jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	41336 Click image for larger version

Name:	Figuring it all out - Copy.JPG
Views:	1616
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	41337 Click image for larger version

Name:	It all fits easily - Copy.JPG
Views:	1635
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	41338 Click image for larger version

Name:	Where the batteries belong - Copy.JPG
Views:	1591
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	41340
                    Attached Files

Comment

And here are some pics...

Comment

Last week at Montague I had my first flights with the 17s - all I can say is awesome! This is my first really high-performance large (7.0m) racing sailplane so it is a new piloting experience, however, it was quite easy to fly. I had the benefit of Rick Shelby helping me with the setup - he has a lot of experience with the Baudis ASW-22, which has similar size and performance. I still haven't mastered the Jeti DS-24 setups - need more time with that.

It was a great time flying all week with the gang - there's some photos on the USA GPS Triangle FB page.

Looking forward to flying in 2 weeks at Visalia.

Bruce

Comment

Very cool! Chocofly's stuff looks top-notch. Is Rick Shelby still sold out of the GPS units?

Comment

Originally posted by pete914 View Post
                            Very cool! Chocofly's stuff looks top-notch. Is Rick Shelby still sold out of the GPS units?
                            I have everything in stock.
                            Rick Shelby
                            Team Horizon

Comment

Working...
                            X