No announcement yet.

Dustin's building a Skylark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working 2 jobs this summer hasn't given me much time for the Skylark. I got a break from cat herding today so I finished the last wing panel. Next up is installing the servos in the wing and then gluing in the bottom sheeting. At this pace, that will be done sometime next year.
    Last edited by DustinI; 06-19-2019, 04:29 AM.

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Between chasing one cat or another you'll get 'er done! Great job!

For me, it's been a busy 10 months. After I finished up my teaching gig in Pittsburgh last year, I started looking for a new job. Found one closer to home, got it, and started the process of turning my home in Pittsburgh into a rental property and moving myself to Cumberland, MD. Of course, this meant moving my beautiful workshop which I had grown quite fond of. I'm back living in the home I grew up in. Living in the same bedroom actually. The workshop here, I'm not quite as fond of. Nevertheless, it is the place where I built my first airplane, a Sig Kadet, and numerous other airplanes you still see me flying. I finally unpacked my shop and started setting it up and I'm back to work on the Skylark. It's going to take some effort to adjust to the smaller shop, but I think I can make some progress. Today, I installed the servo hooks onto the spoilers and got one wing panel bottom sheeting and cap strips installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1239.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	40785
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1218.JPG Views:	0 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	40784

Comment

Sweet! Back at it!
      Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Center wing sections glued together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1241.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	40800

Comment

Every airplane flies a little better if at has a little yellow on it. I went ahead and checked that box.

Name:	IMG_1243.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	40832

Comment

So, I really have no idea where I'm going with the color scheme. Basically what's going on is I have a box full of MonoKote JimD gave me last year and I'm determined to use it. There may not be enough in there to cover a model nicely, but there is definitely enough to cover a model . Who knows, maybe I'll come up with something awesome.

Name:	IMG_1246.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	40835

Name:	IMG_1247.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	40836

Comment

• ARUP
              ARUP commented
              Editing a comment
              Well... I send a wine glass on the bench so between herding cats and drinking enough of that your color scheme will be beyond the wildest of dreams!

Awesome use of bits and pieces of covering!
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• JimD
              JimD commented
              Editing a comment
              It's "The MonoKote of Many Colors"...apologies to Dolly Parton ;-)

Got some tips from JimD on the MonoKote hinges for the spoilers. First time doing them this way.Pretty happy with how they turned out.

Name:	IMG_1255.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	40843

Comment

My MonoKote iron of 17 years broke yesterday, so I'm done covering for a little while. I moved back to the outer wing panels. I installed a servo and the bottom wing skins onto one of the panels. I found an iron to iron on the wing skins. I have an iron I use for waxing my skis. I won't be using it for covering.

Name:	IMG_1258.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	40861

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	40862

Comment

that green iron looks perfect for large jobs of covering.. is it the one that broke.. any chance to find a similar replacement. if so post a link here

Comment

It's a ski waxing iron. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked very well for ironing on the wing skins. Better than a MonoKote iron really. I could get better leverage with it and I believe it gets hotter than a MonoKote iron. It does have a temperature control, so it probably could be used for plastic covering as well. I'm just so used to the temperature controls on a MonoKote iron. I don't trust myself covering with anything else. Also, I don't want to accidentally melt the plastic to my ski iron and ruin its use as my ski iron.

Comment

Dustin, they no longer offer the Monokote Iron! Hangar 9 is the only ones we can get and even the Pro Iron is discontinued
                    If you need one let me know.Click image for larger version

Name:	Iron.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	40873

Jeremy

SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

I was actually aware of that. Its just that I'll always call those types of irons 'MonoKote irons'. It's kinda like how everybody calls tissue paper 'Kleenex'.

Anyway, I finished the bottom sheeting and servo install on the other outer wing panel. Then I built the ailerons.

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	40905

Now it's on to the stab.

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	40906

Comment