Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schweizer TG-3 ~ 1/3-scale model by Peter Goldsmith (Build Thread by JimD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	36539 Thanks so much for your build pictures Jim. They have been an incredible resource so far. Here’s a pic of me and my helpers from last week. I have the bottom half well underway now. Stab, elevators and rudder done also
    Last edited by wesryman; 06-09-2020, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• BryanB
      BryanB commented
      Editing a comment
      Good job! Can't wait to get started on mine as well..

Beautiful build Jim!

Comment

Name:	
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	36835 Update
      Last edited by wesryman; 06-09-2020, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good! Keep gluing those parts together. 👍

​ Working on the firewall for the Power 60 and then fuse can be finished.

Comment

More progress..

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Moving right along!

Here is some additional detail on the spoiler linkage. The TG-3 has top and bottom spoiler doors that are hinged along the front edge. They are activated by a single servo mounted inside the wing between the top and bottom spoiler doors. Although this looks difficult to hookup, it is actually very simple. First, cover the doors and mount them to the wing. Peter recommends using the UltraCote covering to make the hinge.

Name:	IMG_2991.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	38377

Next, fabricate the pushrods from DuBro 2-56 rod and metal clevis. We used a Z-bend on the servo end. The tool we used is available from J.G.S. products (781) 341-1482.

Name:	IMG_2993.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	38375

Name:	IMG_2994.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	38376

Name:	IMG_2996.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	38378

Name:	IMG_2995.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	38380

Name:	IMG_2997.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	38381

The clevis can be spread open using a small flat blade screwdriver and then attached to the hinge on the door. The threaded rod allows plenty of adjustment for fine turning the end points of the top and bottom doors.

Name:	IMG_2992.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	38374

Name:	IMG_2998.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	38379
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Axle for wheel is a short piece of 3/16" music wire. The wheel needs to be centered on this axle and spacers are needed to keep the wheel centered. We used a pair of nylon spacers, four plate washers, and two wheel collars to make this unit. It then is held in place with the metal straps provided in the kit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2999.JPG Views:	1 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	38383

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3001.JPG Views:	1 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	38384

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3002.JPG Views:	1 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	38385
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

The nose skid has a G-10 reinforced slot at the rear attachment point so the skid can move when the black sponge shocks absorbers are compressed. This is an innovation that will be retrofitted to the other kits.

Name:	IMG_3003.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	38387

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

We saved an excess piece of the rudder cable to make a canopy limit strap so the canopy doesn't flop all the way open and hit the fuselage side!

Name:	IMG_3005.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	38389

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Our graphics were made by Callie Graphics

Name:	IMG_3007.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	38391

Name:	IMG_3008.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	38392

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Left wing pic from a few days ago. 104” long. I used to think my 35% Carden Edge was impressive in size with a wingspan of 105”, now I have a wing panel almost that long

Comment

Also if someone could help me with how to load pictures and have them show up large like Jim’s do I would appreciate it. Thanks

Comment

• JimD
                      JimD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Basically stopped using a digital camera since getting an iPad and iPhone. Mostly use the iPhone to take pictures and the iPad to post to the forum. The two are linked so all of my pictures show up on both devices.

There is an app available from www.codenia.com that let you resize pictures: "Batch Resize"

This app is also available for other types of operating systems, like Windows 10 and Android.

Pictures from your device upload to the app and et resized and returned to your device in a picture folder you name in the app.

• JimD
                      JimD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The size of my pictures is 800 x 600 for landscape and 600 x 800 for portrait.

These images are a much small file size, upload quickly, and still have good detail. To put them into the forum post, select "Upload Images" and then select the images you want from your picture files.

Select "Full Size" from the choices next to the thumbnail and the picture will insert into the post preview just as it will appear in the final post.

Very simple once you do it a few times and learn the format.

• wesryman
                      wesryman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Jim

We got the TG-3 completed and then had to wait nearly a month for the chance to fly it. Len arrived early for the Fall Soar for Fun and the weather
                    on Tuesday, October 29th was perfect!!!

The moment of truth came when Len hit the throttle on his trusty Smellyak and off we went...just like the 100th flight instead of the first...solid as a rock, no trim problems, and landing was at our feet. Did four more flights and got very comfortable with the model. What a complete pleasure to fly, totally satisfied with this project.

Name:	IMG_2056.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	38656
                    Last edited by JimD; 11-28-2019, 12:32 PM. Reason: Added picture
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Name:	
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	39421 Getting closer...
                      Last edited by wesryman; 06-09-2020, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Nice!!!!! Like the color scheme
                        Len Buffinton
                        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
                        X