No announcement yet.

Harbinger Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this inspiring photo recently . Unfortunately I don't know who took the photo or whose model is in the image. It certainly is beautiful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1561233444414.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	38219

Name:	Harbinger Wing R small.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	38222

Attached Files

Comment

Back at it now and making progress on the right wing. Is has been great to be in the shop again. Basically decided to begin glueing the darn thing together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200124_073047.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	39823

Used wood glue for the 1/16" sheathing. Gave me time to get everything weighted down and pinned in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200127_183740.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.2 KB ID:	39827

Compartment for the spoilers. As discussed earlier...will fab spoilers separately as a stand alone piece that can then be mechanically fastened into this compartment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200128_120432.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.7 KB ID:	39824
      Starting to look like something. Will add the leading edge blocks next and rough into shape. Ailerons will be up after that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200128_060821.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.4 KB ID:	39828
      Attached Files

Comment

looking good David. following along...can't wait to see it in the air this season...

Comment

ALL RIGHT!!!! Glad to see you back at it.
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

With the help of a number of friends, we got the vacuum former (Hobby Vac) up and running a couple weekends ago, and then made progress on the canopy plug and frame this weekend. Nice to see some progress on this darn canopy.

Here is the Hobby Vac.

Name:	Hobby Vac 3.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	40235

Canopy Plug

Name:	Canopy 3.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	40233

Name:	Canopy 4.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	40232

Canopy frame. Will finish sand, add magnets, then glass and paint.

Name:	Canopy Frame 2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	40231

Name:	Canopy Frame 3.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	40234

Spoiler servo hatch.

Name:	Spoiler Servo Mount 3.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	40236
            Attached Files

Comment

More progress shots including a few of the left wing, wing strut brackets, and fuse skid shocks. Getting a little more shop time now as I suspect most of you are as well. Hope all is well with you and your families. Take care.

The start of the Left wing.

Name:	Left Wing Start.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	40415

Little progress...second wing is going fast compared to the first.

Name:	Left Wing Mid.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	40416

Here is the right wing to show size. I think the forward swept wings are oddly elegant.

Name:	Wing 5.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	40421

Canopy Plug - Made numerous attempts to get all the bumps and imperfections out but it seems that each time I do, new ones form. Ugh.

Name:	Canopy 5.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	40417

Wing strut brackets.

Name:	Wing Strut Brackets 1.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	40419

Fuse skit shock...first attempt. I think they are a tad too large so will look for smaller o rings. Used 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum channel stock as a starter.

Name:	Skid Shock 1.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	40420
              Attached Files

Comment

• ARUP
                ARUP commented
                Editing a comment
                David- get the plug as slick as you can then pull styrene over it. Leave the styrene in place then pull your vivak over that. The styrene will level the imperfections pretty good and render a nice canopy.

Also, make your plug deeper (taller?) than needed to keep 'webbing' from pull to a minimum.
                Last edited by ARUP; 03-24-2020, 06:52 PM. Reason: Added the 'also...'

That's a great tip ARUP. Thank you! Wish I would have know that a month ago...been worrying about it. The plugs are deeper and longer in every dimension as you have noted. Hope to pull those Saturday.

Comment

Like most of you I am getting in more shop time these strange days. Working on these ships has always been enjoyable and now a fine diversion from the doom and gloom news 24/7. I hope you and yours are doing well.
                Here are pics from the last couple of days.

The aileron servos are installed. Will solder up the Digi-Key connectors at the wing root next.

Name:	Aileron Servo Cover 2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	40522

Name:	Aileron Servo Cover 1.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	40521

Wing trial fit...seems fine. Not a lot of room in my little shop.

Name:	Wing Trial Fit 1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	40523

Also made a few canopy pulls on the Hobby Vac and avoided burning the house down. Always good. Through experimentation I'm now using the right mil PET-G material, have the pump & Fein shop vac dialed in, and the timing and sequencing of the pull down. The weak link is the plug. The finish has been pretty crude on the first canopies. ARUP - I did try pulling a canopy...trimmed it, and then pulled a second over the top. The first was actually my best to date...when I pulled one over the top I trashed them both. Actually was a little funny. Will keep you posted.

Name:	First Canopy Pull Attempt.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	40525

Trial fit the crappy one just to see how it fit. Fit was fine...finish not so much. More to follow, - David

Name:	Canopy Trial 1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	40524

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PET-G over PET-G won't work. They will stick to each other. Is that what happened? I've pulled Vivak (PET-G) over Styrene without problems. Orient your plug 90 degrees from that shown in picture and you'll get less webbing. That isn't a bad pull, though!

Build is looking great! Also turn the canopy plug 90 degrees on your machine.
                Gunny
                Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Thanks Gunny - Will try it. Heard that from another friend as well. He also suggested a few other items to try. I extended the base of the plug with a skirt or flared edge and extended the material at the 90 degree corner of the plug.
                  Thanks to you as well ARUP - Where can I get sheets of Styrene that big?

Comment

.020"
                    48 Inch Widths x 96 Inch Lengths, White, High Dielectric Strength, High Frequency Insulation, Other Electrical Applications, Polystyrene Plastic Sheets - HIPS
                    Gunny
                    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Thanks for the link Gunny - Will check it out. Here are a few advancements from the weekend shop session.

Installed the canopy latch and a portion of the turtle deck.

Name:	Canopy Latch.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	40581

Added hinges and covered the rudder w 'natural' Solartex. After the canopy buck issues I needed to make some tangible progress.

Name:	Covered Rudder.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	40584

Roughed out the ailerons. Still have a few gussets to add and then the sanding. These old birds really do have majestic wings. The front of each wing will be covered in solid white Solartex and the back portion will be covered in the "natural" translucent Solartex to show the ribs and framing like the rudder and elevator.

Name:	Aileron Framing.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	40582

Name:	Aileron Frame in Place.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	40583

Comment

It is with Great Sadness to tell you that David DIED in his sleep last nite. (4-7-2020) I was just talking to him yesterday about this build.
                        Us Minnesota Sled Works group are just so devastated...David was under 60 years old and in perfect health..
                        So Bummed.
                        Kevin K.
                        Last edited by kjkavaney; 04-08-2020, 09:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Oh no! David will be missed.

Comment

I met David and the rest of the MN and SD gang at the last Horizon Hobby Aerotow in 2018. He invited me to the Sledworks event the following month. I've driven to MN the past two summers for that very fun event. David also used his drawing skills to design a logo for my friend and I for our aerotow team. Last week I was thinking about sending him a message to see how he was doing. Now I really wish I had done that.

Sledwork-1, you will be missed!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X