Up Fixin der Arcus - Hmodel 6.6 meter Arcus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Fixin der Arcus - Hmodel 6.6 meter Arcus

Thought I'd share the progress photos on the repair and restoration to airworthiness of this proud old bird. I recently became the third owner following it's second big crash. Let's hope that behavior is out of its system!

While the scale purists would cringe, I took this as an opportunity for "something different." Especially when airborne looking up from the ground. Here are a couple shots of the wing bottoms, showing the process of doing a large checkerboard pattern that follows the wing plan form. This should make mine pop in a gaggle of 3, 4 or even 5 of these beautiful models now flying at Eastern USA events.

Shown in photo #1 is a servo cover "spinner" that Len made. Makes extremely quick work of producing accurate round servo hole covers from the raw square stock Radiim supplies. The left tip is new, replacing the damaged original.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Next, I made the top look pretty much acceptable with an orange anti-collision scheme. You can see the difference in the new versus old white tip panel...
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Control will be via DMSS. I removed the PowerBox Royal, two DSMX receivers and a mile of wire, switches and whatsamacallets. In their place went a 14-bay Duo converter unit with redundant receiver capacity, two infinity channel DMSS receivers and telemetry. The plane came with two nice huge 7.2V LiPo packs, so a SmartFly unit I had sitting brand new but without a home took on the role of knocking down the voltage to 6.0V for all of the digital servos. A few new JR digital servos replaced tired old Hitec models and a replacement MKS wing servo for a damaged old one... and everything is now operating nicely. Commands will be issued by the new JR 28X. Suuuuweeeettt!

Comment

Graphics are a Belgian scheme. Sailplanes begin with the registration series OO-YAA to OO-ZZZ, so OO-YES seemed like fun. Belgian flag, flag of West Flanders, flag of the City of Brugge, and the Brugge crest. More anti-collision markings...

Comment

I have a 14" wide slot in my trailer that will accept two different crates. The Arcus needed a secure transport mode, so I built a 14" wide cradle from 3/4 PVC pipe. Very sturdy and worked like a charm! Also made a cover to protect the tail during transport.

Comment

I have honestly not invested sufficient time into learning the new 28X radio. So, I have a basic program inserted with launch, cruise and thermal modes. Plan is to get some initial flights in at the New England Aerotow, refine the travels and mixes and then create some additional flight modes. I'll make sure the Arcus Owners Club check everything over prior to the first flight.

More to come!

Comment

Love the work you did and especially the graphics. It will stand out from the other Arci well. Looking forward to seeing it this week at the New England Aerotow.

Bob

Comment

Welcome aboard the ARC.
                Looking forward to seeing the old gal, well, middle age gal, out at the field this week. We'll get her trimmed up and dialed in for sure. Soon to become you're favorite slipper.

Rumor has it another Arcus is leaving the barn in Canada and heading to a new stable in Massachusetts.

See you at the field.

len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                  Welcome aboard the ARC.
                  Looking forward to seeing the old gal, well, middle age gal, out at the field this week. We'll get her trimmed up and dialed in for sure. Soon to become you're favorite slipper.

Rumor has it another Arcus is leaving the barn in Canada and heading to a new stable in Massachusetts.

See you at the field.

len
                  Well, since it is on the inter-nets, it must be true!! Hopefully it will fit in the trailer with all the tow machines riding back as well. Awesome job Steve, your color schemes are always "fun and really cool" and if any scale purists don't like it, they should feel free to get their own darn airplane.
                  I'm really excited and so lucky to ride the coat tails of all the Arci pioneers here. Looking forward to a lineup of these beauties for Jeff's camera, or any other competant photomaker.

looking forward to next week! See you there!

Scot

Comment

Scot, I expect it to be ready to fly at Salem

Bob

Comment

You can ask Len, but new gliders seem to be like fine wine for me, they are not ready until their time.... I can guarantee that it won't be Salem, but it could be sometime later in the Summer or Fall part of the season. We'll see what life brings.

Comment

Understood

They are like fine wine.......takes time to complete the install and set up well on these and definitely something not to rush.

Bob

Comment

As Arci number 5, nice work Steve. When will we all be together for a photo op, and what will your colour scheme be Scott.

Jeremy and Ben
                          SCC AAA TT

Comment

Drop it off here, it'll get done for Muncy
                            Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                              Drop it off here, it'll get done for Muncy
                              An Arcus AND a new tow plane?? Let me in on the secret to holding the hands of time?? An intriguing offer none the less! It must be considered and discussed.

Comment

Working...
                              X