No announcement yet.

Up Fixin der Arcus - Hmodel 6.6 meter Arcus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flew the bejesus out of the Arcus today during day one of the New England Aerotow. Went from having a basic program to fully refined launch, cruise, thermal and speed presets. This sailplane travels and runs downwind after lift like no other. Toss it into speed mode and gnash the sticks for rolls, inside and outside loops, you name it. Pretty much loving the 28X transmitter as well!
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Looks good Steve, will it appear at the Horizon Aerotow!

Jeremy and Ben
      SCC AAA TT

Comment

Hi Jeremy.

Neither it nor I will be there. First it was the change in the date. Now it's my change of jobs. Maybe 2016.

Steve
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve P View Post
          Hi Jeremy.

Neither it nor I will be there. First it was the change in the date. Now it's my change of jobs. Maybe 2016.

Steve
          Darn....I was hoping to see it there!!

Comment

Hi Jeremy.

Steve
            How about Cumberland?

Jeremy and Ben
            SCC AAA TT

Comment

Yes! The Arcus has a date with the skies above Wylie Ford, WV!

Comment

Steve,
                What's your Speed setup, can you share the details? I've set up something similar on mine, pretty close to the opposite of Radim's Termic mode, and would love to compare notes. Especially as you've had some flight time with it (have yet to maiden mine). Thanks!!
                Rick

Flew the bejesus out of the Arcus today during day one of the New England Aerotow. Went for having a basic program to fully refined launch, cruise, thermal and speed presets. This sailplane travels and runs downwind after lift like no other. Toss it into speed mode and gnash the sticks for rolls, inside and outside loops, you name it. Pretty much loving the 28X transmitter as well!

Comment

Right now it's essentially minor trailing edge reflex for some more pep. I have to spend more time on that mix. I plan to fly it quite a bit the first weekend of June at the Sky High Aero Tow and make some changes after each flight. We're just getting to know each other.

I also want to experiment with snap flap as ever since Larry Jolly suggested I fly that on my Aspire, I've liked it. My Antares has that programmed. Worth experimenting with on the new bird.

Comment

How's the 28X working out Steve, I got to handle one last week at Joe Nall!

Jeremy and Ben
                    SCC AAA TT

Comment

Very much in serious like. I'm still making my way through the programming -- I like the ability to enter exact digits of trim, travel, etc. Very fine adjustment. They got the sailplane model presets right as the Arcus started as a four aileron four flap model right from the initial selections. No need for special mixes.

LOVE the gimbals. It just feels right to fly with it. Heavy radio, but I did not notice that in flying for a full day.

Comment

Latest addition to the big bird. JR's new combination vario + altimeter telemetry module. Sends all the details to the main screen of my 28X radio and can have all the typical audio alerts. BUT, I'm not a fan of listening to my sailplane so I'm just using it for visual purposes. Better to fly while reading the air and watching the sailplane wing/tail react.

We've come a long way from expensive Picolarios and other large devices. This thing is tiny!

Comment

Steve, is the Antares pouting because you don't talk about her any more? Arcus looks killer!

Comment

The Antares is still in the number one spot -- at the moment. At least that's what I hope she believes!

I did manage to flutter the flaps on a recent speed run with the ballast installed. Got everyone's attention!

Comment

Fresh servos for 2017. As I recall, this was the first Arcus that came into the U.S.? It's had a hard life, had two prior owners and had two prior major conflicts with solid earth. I had a flap servo die last year, so before something else fails -- like the elevator! -- I thought it would be a good time to invest a bit more in this great-performing sailplane.

New JR NX8931 servos and the new MKS HV6130s to replace the old 6125s with voltage regulators. The 6130s also offer 24 oz more torque. Since the plane has the MKS aileron frames massively glued in, I don't consider it cheating on team JR. ;-) Going through every inch of the plane so it's ready for Cumberland Spring Soar For Fun.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                                I'm going to upgrade my transmitter (to the new Futaba 18sz) and while I'm at it redo all my mixes and programming on the 6.6 Arcus. You mentioned a speed mode above. Mind sharing the details on that -- I assume it's a tiny amount of reflex, anything else? FWIW I programmed a speed/reflex mode on mine but in my (admittedly limited) experimentation with it so far I didn't think it gave me any benefit over zero camber, curious what your opinion is. I also programmed in bidirectional snap flap in speed mode, which I did like (actually a switch to turn snap flap on with up elevator only, off, or up/down) and think I'll keep that. My conclusion for now is that for crazy speed and aerobatics I'm going with zero camber and either zero snap or bidirectional snap.

PS What do you like to use for Rx packs, LiPo, LiFe, other? I've got a pair of 5000 mAh LiPos but am thinking about switching to LiFes so there's less chance of going up in smoke!!

Cheers,
                                Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X