Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1:3.5 Slingsby Sedbergh T21b Build (Chris Williams Design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oy vey! I spent too many months doing nothing; not even climbing the stairs to my workshop. Recently I had a three week stay-cation from work and spent a lot of time in the workshop, but NOT on the T21 unfortunately. I did resurrect however, a Skybench Sky Bird sailplane that I started eight years ago! It's to the point of adding the Moneykote covering when I return home from work next week (barring a hurricane!). But... it felt good to actually work on something again, so I think the T21 will return to the bench next. And... I just happen to have the week off for the NARCA Annual Aero-tow at Epp's Field, so I think I'll come up for a visit, just as a spectator... again.
    Attached Files
    [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

Get a Sig Riser, flatten the wing (i.e., keep center dihedral but build the outer panels in line with the inner sections) and cut strip ailerons into the TE stock of the outer panels that comes with the kit. Add a release and you'll be good to go for NARCA! Man... those things fly great! My #1 orange one got a 78 minutes thermal (not slope) at Cumberland and it had a 76 minutes flight at Winamac! Put some spoilers on it!!! I didn't and it needs 'em. It comes right off the ground without problem so in lieu of rubber band wing you could make it a 'bolt-on'. You could frame up one of these in a weekend then cover the next. I am using Hitec 'Feather' servos on the control surfaces (2-A, 1-R, 1-E) without any problems but the next size up would give more 'peace of mind'. I have a 'stouter' servo for the release which is at the bottom of the nose.

Comment

• ARUP
        ARUP commented
        Editing a comment
        You will need a regulator like the Spectrum VR5203 for the servos if you run higher voltage battery (recommended). Each regulator can handle two servo slots. I have two regulators, receiver and 1100mAh LiFe battery stuffed in the nose of mine... plus a little lead shot in the nose cone area. My ailerons are on a 'Y' but have mechanical differential (more 'up' than 'down').

• Tango Juliet
        Tango Juliet commented
        Editing a comment
        I just won't have enough time for that this go-around. I'm at work now until Wednesday night, then my next week off will be spent getting the Big Bird covered and finished before going back to work again. Then the next full week off is our clubs Sailplane Fly In on Saturday, September 21st. I also fly with Futaba gear without High Voltage servos. My Radian XL uses LiPo's but my Big Bird will have a 1600mAh NiMH; no regulators needed. I'll bring the Radian XL with me, but maybe only fly it later in the afternoons. It thermals great though. Twice last year I got into thermals with almost two dozen hawks/buzzards. It was awesome!
    Working...
    X