Vario recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vario recommendations

I would like some recommendations on a vario for my 1/4 scale Hall Cherokee that I am building. I'll be using a JR 9503 Tx and I have a pair of GMRS/FRS radios for receiving the audio.

Upgrade to the Spekturm radios and get the Vario right from the transmitter. Times ticking on the earlier JR transmitters. ( I have three 12x if someone wants a good deal )
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      Or, upgrade to JR DMSS technology and have altitude, vario, and voltage right on your radio without the misspelling issues of companies that put a "k" where it isn't needed. At least Len spelled the word correctly. 😄

I like the sky assistant. Tells you lift or sink, altitude, voltage, and temperature via audio, so you dont have to look away from your plane. It is also a data logger so you can review your flight later.

Steve K
    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• French1
      French1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Like Steve I use the sky assistant with great success. Easy to move from one airframe to another.

And... Shameless plug... I have TWO complete Sky Assistsnt systems for sale in the classified forum
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Or upgrade to Jeti, who beat most everyone to what we all wanted in the first place;-)

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm not looking to upgrade my transmitters at this time so I think I'll take Steve up on his offer. I had already done my online research and the Sky Assistant was one I was interested in. I knew you guys would steer my in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
          Or upgrade to Jeti, who beat most everyone to what we all wanted in the first place;-)
          Asher,
          We both know Art isn't looking for long term neck issues due to the 100+lb weight of that transmitter,
          But I heard they will soon have the " Jeti CART " back in stock to roll it out to the flight-line.
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Steve P
            Steve P commented
            Editing a comment
            My 28x came with a gym membership

Originally posted by ingrahal View Post
          I think I'll take Steve up on his offer. I had already done my online research and the Sky Assistant was one I was interested in.

I am at your service.
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I think I'll take Steve up on his offer. I had already done my online research and the Sky Assistant was one I was interested in. I knew you guys would steer my in the right direction.
            I am at your service...

Comment

Steve I PMed you. Are they TEK capable?

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post

Asher,
                We both know Art isn't looking for long term neck issues due to the 100+lb weight of that transmitter,
                But I heard they will soon have the " Jeti CART " back in stock to roll it out to the flight-line.
                HaHa, Yes, it's weighty...in more ways than one.... ;-)

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm not looking to upgrade my transmitters at this time so I think I'll take Steve up on his offer. I had already done my online research and the Sky Assistant was one I was interested in. I knew you guys would steer my in the right direction.
                  Art,
                  I think you made a good choice. Get that plane ready, with your new vario, for Huntsville!

Comment

Thanks! I'm headed out to the shop right now!

Comment

Just wanted to report that the vario worked great. I highly recommend all newbs get one. I think everyone knows by now that the Huntsville Aerotow was plagued with poor weather. I spent four days listening to the constant down tone of the vario until finally on Sunday right before leaving I heard the lift tone for more than just a second or two. I thought could it be real lift? I started circling and sure enough I was able to stay in the lift for a couple of minutes. The vario is going to be a great training aid. I found the altitude feature to be very helpful and quite accurate. We had low ceilings the entire time and once you established what the ceiling was the vario kept you from releasing too late and disappearing in the clouds.

Comment

Glad it's working and and that you're happy. Sorry the weather gods did not cooperate.

Comment

• ingrahal
                          ingrahal commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep it's working great. I didn't fool with the settings except for the temperature alarm was set to 80 deg F and was driving me crazy so I set it to 200. Don't think I'll mess with the TEK probe.
                      Working...
                      X