Views:	160
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	8800

Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

• Stew2
      Stew2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't let them kid you, Chris, it was a nap problem, not a flap problem. Old guys need to "rest their eyes" occasionally. Glad the day was great guys!!

• Apparently some minor issue with the flaps, the guys had the Bidule fired-up & haulin-glass a few minutes later. Below are a few random photos (apologies I was busy flying most of the day, this is all I got)... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_154049 700.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	8806
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_154105 700.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	8807

Name:	IMG_20160326_154224 700.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	8808

Name:	IMG_20160326_154342 700.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	8809

Thanks guys for a great day.
    Last edited by Nodd; 03-26-2016, 11:35 PM.
    Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

• Its probably worth mentioning Len is a complete nutter. Today I witnessed the shortest (successful) aerotow ever. I should explain...

Apparently Len decided it'd be a good idea to see if the DG-800 wing is made of the right stuff. At what had to be somewhere close to 2000 feet, moments after release I heard myself muttering "Len you know you're in a dive right?"... "Yeap" he replied. Two seconds later... "Ehh... Len?"... at this point the sailplane was in full on bat-outta-hell mode & kinda headed our way. Another two seconds later, whistling... no howling... no screaming... the DG-800 in a blur of utterly incomprehensible speed passed over the field & gracefully entered a nice ballistic arc back up into the blue. Down from two thousand feet in the blink of an eye-popping eye. That was easily one of the most jaw-dropping things I've seen a sailplane do. Len seemed pleased & mentioned nonchalantly "Huh, I guess the wings are good".

Name:	IMG_20160326_154202 700.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	8813
      Last edited by Nodd; 03-26-2016, 11:40 PM.
      Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

• Great flying day with thermals all around and the sun eventually appeared.
        Nice seeing everyone.
        Thanks again for the advice Don & Len!

Comment

• Thanks to all the guys who came out today. Weather started out a bit cloudy and cool but ended up sunny and warm. Lift was huge later in the afternoon once the sun came out and the guys were complaining about not being able to get down.
          The CARF DG 800 was tested for high speed flight and high G maneuvers, it passed.

Name:	IMG_2772.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	8816

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	8817

Name:	IMG_2786.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	8818

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	8819

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	8820
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Thinking about doing some flying Saturday in Salem, anyone interested?

Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Csessa
              Csessa commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll pass the word down here. I am a maybe.

• TomTerrific?
              TomTerrific? commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm a definite maybe

• I too could be a definite maybe

Comment

• Working on my Bidule tonight and hope to have it for tomorrow morning.....new battery for the ignition and completing the nose steering modifications as on Len and Stew's Bidules. Hope to be there by 9 or so at the latest.

Comment

• Another wonderfull day in Salem. Thanks for the invite. See you in a couple weeks.

Comment

• I just want to thank the tow pilots that kept us flying today.We had four tow planes out and 5 sailplanes! Almost had to have the tow planes line up and wait for a sailplane to tow.

Comment

• Hey guys.
                    Thanks for coming out. Good day. Killer lift in the morning but a cool front came in and it killed the lift, but it was still fun!.

Lots of tugs, but once again never enough.

One had steering issues. One had a tailwheel servo die.
                    One had a weird fuel pickup issue, but of course the day was saved by Scot's mighty Bidule..180

Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• REALLY?

It was April 30th since we all flew together at Salem for a "casual day" of flying? Wow... seems like only yesterday we were in heavy coats and boots.. The spring was a tough one this year with snow and wind at both of the early season events. Thankfully our New England Aerotow was a smashing success and all the events since then have featured fantastic weather. Let's keep the streak going and fly this weekend.

We're planning on flying SATURDAY, July 2nd.

Anyone planning on bringing a tug?

Len
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• I am planning on coming with my Bidule 170.......the landing gear has been repaired and it should be ready to go for Saturday.

Looking forward to the day.

Bob

Comment

• That's just my luck. Every time you guys fly in Salem I'm somewhere else. Or I'm here and you are traveling. Getting on jet plane tomorrow. Maybe I'll find some flying opportunity in the Czech Republic. At least I'll be flying Swiss. I'll check their crosses

Hope to join you next time

Petr

Comment

• I'm in. The Porter is not prepped for duty, but could be if needed. LMK
                            Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Working...
                            X