No announcement yet.

Bidule 111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to mention that the wing retainers mentioned in post 22 work flawlessly. No loosening or failure. I would suggest crimping the edges of the housing that hold the slide so it won't simply fall due to gravity. Having to pull up on the slide with one hand while pulling or pushing on the wing with the other is problematic. I actually inserted a folded piece of note card stock between the slide and housing to hold it in place.
    I used one retainer per side and it certainly has proved to be sufficient. Swiss1 installed 2 per side in his Turboprop Porter and seems to be very happy as well. Try 'em, you'll like 'em....

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
      Forgot to mention that the wing retainers mentioned in post 22 work flawlessly. No loosening or failure. I would suggest crimping the edges of the housing that hold the slide so it won't simply fall due to gravity. Having to pull up on the slide with one hand while pulling or pushing on the wing with the other is problematic. I actually inserted a folded piece of note card stock between the slide and housing to hold it in place.
      I used one retainer per side and it certainly has proved to be sufficient. Swiss1 installed 2 per side in his Turboprop Porter and seems to be very happy as well. Try 'em, you'll like 'em....
      Putting on the wings is a "Snap", pun intended. Mine engage by pushing up, they do make assembly quick with no slop

Jeremy and Ben
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I have read through this thread and learned a lot about the Bidule 111.
        I am building mine with a DLE 120. I have canisters but can't find headers that drop down enough to line up with them. It looks like the drop should be around 110mm.
        Can anyone tell me where I can find these?
        If they have to be custom fabricated who can do that for me?
        Thanks!

Comment

Steve, have you considered the DLE-120 headers?

Shop a wide selection of JetCat parts for turbine jet aircraft and RC models. Get high-quality products for your RC aviation needs at Chief Aircraft!

Here is an example of the adjustability of this type header.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I made my headers up with parts purchased from Desert Aircraft. You need a set of "flanges with stub tubes" that will fit the DLE 120, some 25mm stainless tubing, a couple of 90 degree elbows, teflon couplings and clamps and a couple of sticks of DA's super-duper stainless brazing rod for use with a mapp torch. The hardest part is determining if the DA 100 flange/stub will fit the DLE 120. I don't think the DA 120 flange/stub will fit as the exit is round rather than rectangular like the 100 series. Once you have this the rest is easy-peasy. BTW, the hole spacing on the DA 100 flange stub is 40mm or 1.57 inches. If the DLE 120 is close to this I suspect the DA 100 flange/stubs can be made to fit. If you need further measurements on the DA 100 stubs to confirm I can provide those as well. Just PM me.

The option shown above by Jim is certainly a viable alternative. I have had problems in the past with leaking flex headers and also early breakage so I try to do solid, rigid installs when possible. The Bidule series of aircraft makes that easy.
            Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 03-29-2016, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I completed my Bidule 111 and made a few modifications based on the great information in this thread.

To get the canisters to fit within the width of the fuse I let them share the middle comfort mount.
              I used 1/2" C channel aluminum to mount.

For extra fuel I mounted a Du-Bro 32Oz. tank sideways at CG. I used Velcro to hang the tank from the brace above, along with padding above the wing tube. This allows me to get to the quick release clips by sliding the tank left or right. Total fuel capacity 82Oz.

I wanted a clean look for the exhaust pipes without exposed welds. Bestellung provides 90 degree bends with up to 10" straight pipe on either side.
              TIG welds made a clean finish. info@krumscheid-metallwaren.de

Comment

I also wanted to be able to see how much fuel is left in the tank so I made a window.

And finally, an air filter. I used a velocity stack with the flair cut off to have a 1" wide by 1/2" tall mount for the filter.

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Congrats Steve. Mine still hasn't left the box.

Keep us posted!
                  Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Nice work Steve, Super looking exhaust setup.
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Steve,
                      Nice move on the comfort mounts as well as the other mods. Enjoy your 111. It is a great towplane and sized perfectly for most all towing duties and transportation.

Comment

Is everyone cut the cowling in half on the Bidule 111 to get over the cylinders heads?

Brian

Comment

Brian, no, it seem that now the preferred way to do it is just splitting the cowl on the back if the cyclinders

I finally got around installing cans and cowl on my bidule

I picked some rear dump can that I will hold from the dump pipe, I transformed some L shape aluminum in a support yesterday and split the cowl today with the advises of Jim, tomorrow should be welding time

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0CDDA33-B200-49CE-92F3-0392A96F9BB4.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	23993Click image for larger version

Name:	82F0170A-5A4C-47B5-9D0E-E92250A1AB40.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	23994Click image for larger version

Name:	5958030C-BA44-422A-A403-DA5A5DE64550.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	23995
                          Attached Files
                          Stéphane
                          Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

I have waited and pleaded for 2 years for you to install the cowl, I will not recognise it!

Comment

• JimD
                              JimD commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Cowling...what about some black and silver stripes!

So there is finally peace at the flying field...

Now for Kevin do so something about the Pawnee!!
                            Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                              So there is finally peace at the flying field...

Now for Kevin do so something about the Pawnee!!
                              So you thought Len..........................Snatch's Pawnee and my Decathlon
                              Jeremy
                              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• French1
                                French1 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                According to how much you two are flying, nothing to worry about.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​†‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹â€‹
                                I would be more worried for the fuel level in the cooler....

• Swiss1
                                Swiss1 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Frenchy, you are really developing a great sense of humor!
                            Working...
                            X