Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lenb View Post
    Hi Steve,

I found a photo sequence for doing the canister modification and thought I would post them for you or anyone who is interested.

Len

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n6136[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6137[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6138[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6139[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6140[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6141[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6142[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6145[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n6144[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n6143[/ATTACH]
    Very nice workmanship!

Comment

Originally posted by Xroadie View Post
      I ended up using the Red Wing Xion locks Andrew....I had a set of four that I bought for my KA6, but they weren't long enough, so I tried those. I could have soldered the bushing on a 440 bolt, like Tom said and mounted the McMaster Carr slide catches, but the Xion locks literally take seconds to mount in the fuselage and I already had four I am going to use the slide catches on the Carbon Cub.

I also upgraded the strut end clevis, to the ones that Len suggested...again from McMaster Carr. I got the size threaded for 4mm, a 25mm long 4mm threaded rod and a 4mm coupler nut that I found at a Menards store. The new clevis is only 16mm long...which is much shorter than what comes with the kit, necessitating lengthening the 4mm threaded rod on the end of the strut. I cut down the strut end rod to half the length of the coupler nut and added the 25mm long rod then added the 4mm nut supplied with the kit and the new clevis...I used Red Loctite on all. On the strut mounting plate on the side of the fuselage, I drilled out the hole to 1/8" for the new clevis and because the new clevis has a 1/8 wide jaw and the strut plate is only about 1/16" thick I added phenolic washers, that I had sitting around to the underside of the plate with JB Weld. I did that so the clevis would not rattle on the plate.

Here's a pic

Len in your photo there is a fan shaped ply bulkhead under the turtle deck, the model I'm working on just had a piece of foam there. I thought the ply was buried in the foam and I dug away the foam looking for it. Also who sells tow releases that are designed to mount on the back of a bulkhead like you used? The pilot I am building this model for supplied two releases, one from Iflytallies and one from Espirit....both are designed to mount to the front of a bulkhead.

Pete
      Where did you get those strut fittings from?

Comment

Originally posted by kd4jaz View Post

Where did you get those strut fittings from?
        McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

OK Got the cannisters fit and mounted. Now to get the cowl to fit with them and get the headers hooked up
          By the way, how do you recommend cutting the headers? Hack saw, cutting wheel, tubing cutter........

Steve K
          Last edited by stevekremer; 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM.
          Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

That looks great Steve,
            Cut the headers with a cutoff disc or hacksaw,
            a tube cutter will crush them in slightly and may cause issues I've been told ?

Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

No snow here, but cold. I am trying to fit the Pawnee cowl. I think I am going to have to cut holes in the sides to get the plugs and ignition caps to clear. and put holes further back to route the ignition wires thru. once cut, then remove plugs, install cowl, install plugs, put on ignition caps, sounds like a lot of holes. Any other suggestions before I start cutting?

Thanks

Steve K
              Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

We didn't need to cut holes for the wires

. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	6526
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Steve, here is a way to cut the holes accurately.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Thanks Jim. I know that trick. I am making headway.

Steve K
                    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

its gigantic plane build.

Comment

I'm about to balance the Pawnee I'm working on. I have read a CG of 10 inches is good for aerotowing....is that 10 inches back from the leading edge of the wing or 10 inches back from the leading edge of the root rib? There's quit a difference

Pete

Comment

• Xroadie
                          Xroadie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just got verification.....10 inches at the root rib....not the leading edge.

Finished up the Pawnee today. It balances with the radio batteries in the cockpit. It just needs the spinner and pilot. I added an anti-glare panel and wing anti slip treads.

Comment

Hi Pete,

She really looks great. Nice job. We Balanced ours by picking up on the top wing strut fitting. Flew the first couple of times and then moved the CG back a little further. We also added 1/4 inch more up elevator travel from book specs. The Sullivan 7 inch wheels are heavy but worth it. Am going to pick up a new tail wheel as that's the only thing I'm still not real happy with. I think a 1/3rd Scott 3200 from Ohio Superstar will be coming home from Toledo.

Have fun and don't worry. She fly's super easy and is great fun. We look forward to seeing you with that new toy.

Rich & Rolly

Comment

Thanks guys! It's not mine...I built it for someone else I may try your top wing strut fitting idea, when I do the final balance after we get the spinner and a pilot!
                            Pete
                            Last edited by Xroadie; 02-25-2016, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Got the recievers in. Look familiar Jim?

Steve K

Click image for larger version

Name:	02815.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	8135
                              Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Working...
                              X