Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Join the Cumberland Tree Project -- your support is needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing work. What are they doing with all the trees that were removed?
    Rick Shelby
    Team Horizon

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      None of the trees qualified as serious timber, but we were able to pull out some small saw logs...so most will end up as firewood. Trees were stacked in piles at locations along the property boundary well away from any flight operations.

It is virtually impossible to take a picture that adequately shows the work area. This picture shows the view looking the opposite direction from the last picture I posted above. You can see the current green grass on the mowed runway area, then the brown hayfield grass, and then the new open area. The plan is to seed all of this new open area and keep it mowed so aircraft and towline catching growth does not return.

Picture below is the view when standing at yellow dot looking southwest over the red zone work area toward the blue zone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Airfield Tree Project Zones (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	48520

Since this picture was taken, the soil in the cleared areas has been smoothed and all debris combed out. Plan is to get all of this exposed area seeded today before the rain comes. Once we get past this major hurricane rain event, the Phase 2 section will be cleared. This next section will have the most impact for slope activity and hand launching down the slope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Southwest view.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.3 KB ID:	48521
    Last edited by JimD; 09-30-2022, 10:25 AM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Where is a drone pilot when you need them?

Comment

Good idea of how much was removed and how far down the hill it goes…..
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1099ABF6-6CBF-4F57-A285-735F09BA8D71.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	48579
        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

From Darrel…..

TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• mlachow
            mlachow commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice video. Thanks.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

At the fall event there were no slope days. I had to wait until the latest spring event for a few good slope days. The clearing is great. I was able to hand toss most models out into the lift. The Coyote had no problems from a hand toss. The little lighter weight sub 60 inch ones still could use some help in gusty, windy conditions. But I was able to hand toss a 48 inch Zipper. Landings up in the normal runway area were pretty easy. Money well spent.

Comment

Working...
            X