New FAA regulations for all of us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave,

Pretty sure the Department of Homeland Security is not going to ask you about a registration for your toy airplane, as they have no interest in policing this particular bit of policy. And as others have said, at this point it's just policy and many of our US friends will be still in wait-and-see mode. I'm going to Yakima, and I think that you should too!

Dave Smith

Comment

Here is the latest news from the AMA convention by way of Al Clark, (Hotdog X). Thanks to Al for passing this on.
      Many of you probably already know this, but in case you don't, here's the latest. The AMA Expo video is long, but what it covers is included in the AMA Blog link below. Al

From the AMA Expo in CA:

FAA's Senior Advisor on UAS Integration, Marke "Hoot" Gibson, shared updates and fielded questions from the audience on Sunday, January 10, 2016 at the AMA E...

Latest from the AMA Blog amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2016/01/11/update-uas-registration-frequently-asked-questions/

1) AMA has not given up the fight, but now are saying to go ahead and take advantage of the free registration period ending January 19th.

2) NEWEST UPDATE*** AMA MEMBERS will be able to fly above 400 feet AGL. The FAA website will be updated about this rule for AMA members in about a week.

3) NEW*** NO FAA Registration numbers will be required on planes only AMA number displayed on each plane, HOWEVER you must have your FAA registration with you when flying your aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
        Here is the latest news from the AMA convention by way of Al Clark, (Hotdog X). Thanks to Al for passing this on.
        Yes...you should all get an e-mail from AMA with the updated info!

Pete

PS:If you watch the video, skip to about 58 minutes in.......

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post

2) NEWEST UPDATE*** AMA MEMBERS will be able to fly above 400 feet AGL. The FAA website will be updated about this rule for AMA members in about a week.
          One thing I'm going to do is wait until the site is updated with the removal of the 400' limit before I register......once you have a card that has that limit on it.....it's on there.....by waiting you will have a new card without that verbiage. Now, who wants to bet that the site will be updated the day after the free registration is over??? 😜
          TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

I was told that the card doesn't have any mention of the 400' as it stands today anyway.

Comment

Guys,

I'd like to point out that the 400 foot statement on the registration certificate is a guideline, not a requirement. There is no 400 foot requirement/limit. And as it currently stands, there won't be. However, it still makes sense to stay below 400 AGL within 3 miles of an airport, per the AMA Guidelines.

HD

Comment

Originally posted by Al Clark View Post
                Guys,

I'd like to point out that the 400 foot statement on the registration certificate is a guideline, not a requirement. There is no 400 foot requirement/limit. And as it currently stands, there won't be. However, it still makes sense to stay below 400 AGL within 3 miles of an airport, per the AMA Guidelines.

HD
                And when you argue with the cop that shows up at the field that it's just a "guideline"...... And he believes it's a rule.......who do you think is going to win that argument? Sure as hell not you.......either way....once it's cleared up on the web site we will be good to go.......just be sure to always have "Zee Papers"! With you!
                TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

As Al stated and many forums have rehashed over and over. There are safety guidelines set forth but the AMA which include staying below 400ft. It also include keeping the plane within line of sight, Avoiding full scale aircraft, not flying over crowds, etc.
                  Those are simply guidelines for the membership to follow. There is no rule or law stating you can not fly above 400 ft, but if you don't need to be above 400ft then use the guideline.
                  That was clearly stated in the video Asher posted above.
                  Register yourself, keep the paperwork in you're possession and go enjoy yourself. Stop stressing and start building. lol

Len

BTW, did anyone realize the top of an aerobatic box for R/C is 867ft?
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len, the 867ft aerobatic box top was something I have never heard about, and strikes me as a bit odd. For AMA Pattern I thought they used angles (like 60 degrees each way) or such. Where the 867 number comes from I have no idea. In meters it works out to 264.3, so that doesn't make sense either.

Comment

Maybe that was an off the cuff example of height needed to perform a typical maneuver?
                      Interesting video and thanks for sharing it with everyone.

Len
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

You mean the skies not falling!!!!

Pete

Comment

You're welcome, Len. The video was sent to me by Mark Mullen, a modeler I met quite a few years ago while out flying stunt kites at a local field that is no longer available. After watching the video and looking at the latest AMA Blog I think there is going to be no impact on AMA members, other than a few minutes on the web every 3 years to renew the registration. That's even easier than my FCC Ham Radio license renewal, which requires more information than the model registration. It is nice that we will only have to have our AMA number in/on our models, because the FAA number I got yesterday when I registered is 10 characters long - 4 numbers and 6 letters. And yes, the little certificate is already in my wallet, just in case the local law enforcement or an FAA guy ever asks to see it. Just like my fishing license and pistol permit.

Pete, I think the sky is no longer falling!

Comment

I'm still waiting till 11:59 pm on Feb the 19th to register. I suggest everyone else do the same and crash their website! Our government is out of control!

Comment

The drone that crashed on the white house front lawn was piloted by a 'G-man'. Just let a few scenarios run through your minds, folks.

Comment

And back to our regularly scheduled program......

Comment

Working...
                                X