Servos for LDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servos for LDS

Question for those with more experience with installing Servos with LDS. I have a Valenta 4 meter Twister E on order and will be using LDS on the wing surfaces. Looking for thoughts on what servos work best here? I appreciate any input offered ( I imagine there will be many opinions). Any thoughts on an servo for the full flying Stab? I have used KST's on my 108" Schwing Corsa and 2.9 Attacko... just looking for opinions on the benefits of going for a "higher" end servo.

Dave

MKS6625 are really nice. Then again so are KST 10X. The price differential, as you know, is huge.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Yes there is, but are they worth the xtra bucks for the performance in a plane this size? Then there are the MKS HV6130"s ? So many options!

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        I just went for a few more X10s to install in the thin 6.1 Quintus wings. Add the metal arms.

I think I have a couple of those at home with LDS frames that I haven't used. I'm in the "Boonies" of Tioga County, Pa Kayaking and biking the Pine Cree and Pine Creek Trail. Will check when I get home. Thanks

Comment

JR DS189HV's. I have used those and JR DS398's (same servo with a longer lead) for years on F3b models with LDS. Never had to replace one. I have used MKS6130's also but the model was set up for only those and they are just a little thinner than the JR's. I haven't had a chance to try out the JR S1855's or DS189HV Competition servos. The S1855's look nice for 10mm servos.

The KST's are the least expensive of the bunch. If you are using KST X10's on the other models, probably makes the most sense to use the same servo.

The real question is what do the set up the mounts for on the model? With a LDS setup you have the servo mount plus outboard bearing mount. Then the LDS servo arms have to have the right diameter or spline for the servo you are using. And he screw also has to be the right thread for the servo.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I've been watching some videos about LDS on You Tube. I do think I am going to have to wait till I get the model in hand to decide what will work best. Where do you buy your JR Servos?

Comment

Originally posted by Soarntz View Post
            Thanks Mike, I've been watching some videos about LDS on You Tube. I do think I am going to have to wait till I get the model in hand to decide what will work best. Where do you buy your JR Servos?
            I get the JR servos directly from www.deeforce.net. . I usually wait or some nice holiday when they run a 10% off sale. Most of my LDS installs were models where they were ordered with LDS hardware for a specific type of servo.

The Valentamodel site only mentions 3mm or 2.5mm servo screws. I think the JR are 3mm. I did see one reference in there to Futaba S3173 servos for that model which is an 11mm servo like the JR 198HV. But I don't know what they do for servo arms or pushrods. Maybe you need to buy them somewhere else. Servo arms look a little different for LDS in a thin wing since you kind of reverse the arm/clevis to get max travel on a thin wing.

Comment

MIke, I did see the mention of 3 mm and 2.5mm. This all being new to me, I'll just have to wait and see when the plane arrives /. I really appreciate your taking the time.

Dave

Comment

Some examples

And there are the MP Jet LDS Hubs if you have nothing to start with.

LDS (linear drive system) Hubs (JR), Pair, 12mm Dia/23T/105 Deg/4mm Pitch MP Jet LDS (linear drive system) hubs. Includes left and right hubs, all hardware for hubs, bushings for G-10 control arms (G-10 arms not supplied), ball bearings, and pins. Diameter refers to main outside diameter (either 12 or 14mm) 23, 24, or

Comment

Thanks Mike, I saw the Flight Comp site, I'll download the instructions for future reference.
                  Dave

Comment

Here is a servo install in the Device which is a F3b model.

Eine Anleitung in mehreren Teilen zur Endmontage des F3B Flugmodells Device For Mimi von Twin Musicom ist unter der Lizenz "Creative Commons Attribution" (ht...

It uses the servorahmen hardware. They do LDS hardware (well plasticware) for a variety of servos.
                    Servorahmen.de - Der Onlineshop für Servorahmen und IDS Systeme. Unser Sortiment: Servorahmen, Servorahmen mit Gegenlager, IDS Systeme, IDS Mono, IDS Foam und vieles mehr.

Some of the newer servos out there will fit in the frames if you pick the right one.

If you have really tight space, MKS has 6120's now that work with some of the KST foam moiunts. 8mm servo with quite a bit of power.

Or if you like the JR S1855 servo, it will fit in a modified JR DS189HV frame or in a KST X10 frame with some mods. But you need the KST or MKS 5mm spline hubs to work with the JR S1855 while the DS189HV is a 6mm spline.

Comment

Thanks Mike, you have a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate it. Still waiting on plane... Probably sitting in a container on a ship off shore😁

Comment

I've had good luck with the KST X10's mounted in the IDS/servo tray for the discontinued DS125MG's to operate the flaps on my 1/3 Antares. MKS' are nice but the high end KST's work great.

Trays available from https://alofthobbies.com/ids-servo-t...ve-system.html

Comment

I have been using KST servos for a few years.... no issues that I can recall.

Comment

Working...
                          X