Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad News - Fred China

All,

It is with great sadness that I have to report the loss of a great gentleman, modeler and friend, Fred China. Fred and his work is so well known in this community that I thought it would be appropriate to pass the word along here, and encourage all of you that were touched by Fred's friendship, sense of humour, and of course his incredible skills to add your thoughts in this thread.

I have known Fred since 2000, when I had my first exposure to large scale sailplanes at a winch launch event at 60 Acres field in Seattle. From that point onwards, Fred was my "go-to" mentor, as I built my first scale sailplane and joined the great crew that we have been lucky to have in the Pacific Northwest ever since. I have many, many "Fred" stories, which I will add over the next few days, but the man I will remember was happy, funny, incredibly skilled, sharing, patient and always concerned about our hobby and the friendships it created.

Fred was always willing to help and I visited him in his home about three weeks ago, where he steadfastly managed his own life, at the ripe old age of 93. He didn't want to be a bother to his friends and family, right up to his last days

A few years ago we proposed Fred for a Lifetime Achievement Award with the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) which was bestowed upon Fred. Few could have been more worthy of this award. The documentation that accompanied his nomination is attached below, and I would encourage you to read it as it covers some aspects of Fred that weren't always on display.

Please share this with any others you may know that would appreciate hearing this unfortunate news. Raise a glass to Fred. He enjoyed cheap beer.

Dave Smith
    Discussion Sad News - Fred China Scale Sailplanes

Super nice man in the form of a universe-class sailplane builder. My relationship with Fred was one of telephone and emailing, my always wishing it could instead be in person — ideally in his workshop or at a flying field.

Thanks to Dennis Brandt I became the caretaker of the Falcon III and the Avia 41P when Fred paired back his fleet. Each of these magnificent sailplanes have flown at several of the east coast events over the years. I treasure them both and always will.

Our hobby is better for his contributions and now with his passing, much smaller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	44993
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

So sorry to hear. Fred was a kind man who had a gentle answer to nearly every question. I first met Fred at my very first aerotow event. That was Gene's event outside of Yakima at George's farm. Likely about 1990, when we all "wore a younger man's cloths", as Billy would sing. A really good person is gone.

Comment

Mr. China’s models are inspirational! I never met him but thoroughly enjoyed his sailplane build threads. Thanks, Fred!

Comment

Working...
        X