Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dooms Day

I am not sure if it fits here as a news
    As probably all AMA members have noticed ( AMA notification by email) that FAA announced final standing for regulations of remote controlled vehicles (they called them drones) yesterday. (12/28/2020). Why all of the sudden?
    I went briefly through entire 470 something pages over night . This subject eats me for a long time
    To my surprise rules are more relaxed then I have expected. You can see lots AMA involvements in terms of terminology, separation of hobby and commercial use of UV and so on.
    Lots of previous concerns have not even been mentioned.
    We will be required to have some kind of remote ID issued to your registered name if you fly in wild open space. Sanctuary of ours AMA registered fields stays in place. We can fly them as we did.
    There is a registration fee every 3 years, importance of AMA membership (probably insurance but I could not figure it out in this content)
    Good reading , well punctuated, but lots of previous concerns are not even mentioned. Seems like job was done in the hurry to fill the bill.
    In general we good to go as we always did. Make room for extra radio gear ( ID transponder) if you fly by yourself
    Mike

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

It is a great improvement. No need for the gloom and doom some were pushing. I was on the 12:30 AMA live stream.

Comment

Q: When will hobbyists need to comply with Remote ID requirements?

A: Although you might notice new Remote ID products on the shelves and FAA-Recognized Identification Areas (FRIA) be established, operators are not required to comply until September 1, 2023. During this time, AMA will continue to shape the implementation of the rule for the hobby.

Q: What is an FRIA?

A: An FRIA is where persons can operate visual-line-of-sight UAS without Remote ID. The FAA will look to community-based organizations, such as AMA, to establish these locations.

Q: Who can apply for a flying site to be an FRIA?

A: Those eligible to request establishment of FRIAs include educational institutions and community-based organizations recognized by the Administrator.

Q: I mostly fly at my AMA club’s chartered flying site. How does this rule impact me?

A: Clubs will be able to apply for their flying site(s) to be recognized by the FAA through AMA. When the flying site is included in the list of FRIAs, members can fly there without needing to meet any additional Remote ID requirements.

Q: How will Remote ID apply at events not at an FRIA?

A: Special events, such as air shows or other temporary events, will have a path to receive authorization from the Administrator to deviate from the Remote ID operating rules

Q: I don’t fly at an AMA chartered flying site. How does this rule impact me?

A: Those flying outside of an established flying site can meet the Remote ID requirements by flying a standard Remote ID-equipped aircraft or an aircraft equipped with a broadcast module.

Q: What changes are there to FAA registration?

A: All of the previous registration requirements in the proposed rule were removed in this final rule. You only have to register once every three years for $5, regardless of how many aircraft you own.

Q: Will FPV be permitted with the use of a broadcast module at established flying sites?

A: We interpret that FPV will continue to be permitted under any form of Remote ID given legislation written in PL 115-254 Sect 349, defining visual-line-of-sight operations.

Q: Do Control Line and Free Flight operators need to meet Remote ID requirements?

A: AMA maintains that Control Line and Free Flight do not meet the definition of unmanned aircraft systems.

Q: I often fly scratch-built or plan-built models. How will this impact me?

A: Recreational and educational operators can “home build” without meeting manufacturer certification standards, allowing these types of aircraft to be operated at an FRIA or under the broadcast model option.

Q: Do I have to pay a monthly subscription fee to a UAS service provider?

A: No. These requirements in the earlier proposed rule were removed in the final rule along with the need to connect to the internet.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Working...
        X